UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the last few months there has been a knocking sound from the front suspension that is also felt through the steering column whilst travelling at low speed. Worse after going from motorway / A road speeds to stop start on a slip road or at lights etc. Almost sounds like something flexing? Dealer stripped brakes but found nothing- getting progressively worse now. Anyone else had similar?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hope if he found nothing wrong with the brakes he checked every thing else,for a knocking on the front suspension there are a few places to check

·
Registered
348 Posts
I had something similar to this happen. Turned out to be a faulty steering rack. Faulty in so far as when it was manufactured, it was done so without any of the joints being greased sufficiently. One other possibility is, my dealer at first thought it could possibly have been the front shock absorber top bearings. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. They are going to investigate further but don't, at the moment, have a clue. I have to say that the knock I am getting is pretty much when the car is travelling in a straight line. Can't seem to get it to happen when turning.

·
Registered
348 Posts
The noise my car made seemed completely random. There seemed to be no predictable pattern as to when the noise would occur. Though it did occur more the longer the car was driven at any one time. Maybe you could suggest what has happened to me to them as a possible line of enquiry.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I thought similar at first but there is no play at all in the steering and no noise on turning, even tried turning when stationary- nothing!

·
Sandero Forum Moderator
861 Posts
Drop link. They dont seem to have any play but a half turn of the nut can make a massive difference!

Posted Via The DaciaForum.co.uk App

·
Registered
517 Posts
It will be interesting to find out what happened here please post .

The Sandero front suspension is mounted on a sub-frame, as far as I can tell the roll bar rack and lower wishbones are all bolted to it. The sub-frame is attached to the body with 4 bolts, the top of the struts are held on to the inner wings with one nut each side so its 6 fixing points in all - not hard to check! If the noises are coming through the steering then it sounds like the sub-frame is loose on the body or the rack is loose on the sub-frame. The only way to find out for sure is to get underneath with a prybar. strange that they looked at brakes for this . . . . .

·
Registered
9 Posts
It will be interesting to find out what happened here please post .

The Sandero front suspension is mounted on a sub-frame, as far as I can tell the roll bar rack and lower wishbones are all bolted to it. The sub-frame is attached to the body with 4 bolts, the top of the struts are held on to the inner wings with one nut each side so its 6 fixing points in all - not hard to check! If the noises are coming through the steering then it sounds like the sub-frame is loose on the body or the rack is loose on the sub-frame. The only way to find out for sure is to get underneath with a prybar. strange that they looked at brakes for this . . . . .
Well i've had the same type of knock from the near side front, on my Stepway. It happens mainly when the car is on full lock and turning right, but sometimes it happens when going slowly over a bump. It has been there from new, put it in to be seen to, but mechanics couldn't find anything, including the knock. When i went to pick it up,i took the mechanic out and demonstrated the noise, he said what's that,(enough said).

It's now back in the garage with instructions,to start changing parts, and not to send back until fixed.

The car was bought new in May 2014, also had the headlight beam too low problem as well, had them fixed at garage, but were still a bit dim, changed to brighter bulbs, good now.

I'd like to find out how, WGB got on with his visit to the garage and was it fixed.

Regards Jim.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well i've had the same type of knock from the near side front, on my Stepway. It happens mainly when the car is on full lock and turning right, but sometimes it happens when going slowly over a bump. It has been there from new, put it in to be seen to, but mechanics couldn't find anything, including the knock. When i went to pick it up,i took the mechanic out and demonstrated the noise, he said what's that,(enough said).

It's now back in the garage with instructions,to start changing parts, and not to send back until fixed.

The car was bought new in May 2014, also had the headlight beam too low problem as well, had them fixed at garage, but were still a bit dim, changed to brighter bulbs, good now.

I'd like to find out how, WGB got on with his visit to the garage and was it fixed.

Regards Jim.

·
Registered
39 Posts

Regards Jim.
Hello Jim, I know I'm off topic but I have the same issue with the headlight beam too low. Could you please give me more info about this... I dont want to mess up this topic so maybe on a message or a new topic?!

Thanks a milion, Razvan

·
Premium Member
4,022 Posts
Hello Jim, I know I'm off topic but I have the same issue with the headlight beam too low. Could you please give me more info about this... I dont want to mess up this topic so maybe on a message or a new topic?!

Thanks a milion, Razvan
Simple things first ! Have you checked the internal beam adjuster, down by your right shin ?

Mine was set to fully low when I picked my car up !

a)Failing that, when they are set to high adjust with an allen key on the white plastic adjuster, just near where the adjuster cable fits onto each headlight.

b)Take it back to the dealer ! ;)

1 - 20 of 50 Posts