UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think the roof mounted aerial looks a bit old fashioned, so I fancy fitting a modern sharks fin style one like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191692721840?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Now, they say it fits the type of aerial that unscrews. I've tried unscrewing mine and either it's a very tight fit or it's not meant to undo in this way. Anyone know if it actually does unscrew?

Also, is the aerial just used for radio AM/FM signals or is it integrated with the Satnav?

The owners manual is no help at all.

It'd be nice to fit a white sharks fin to match my paintwork.

Any help or advice gratefully received.

Many thanks

Alan

·
Registered
158 Posts
The roof antenna is supposed to be screwed off , you need to do when driving the car thru the carwash machine , mine is easily screwed off and on afterwards, normal antenna, does not have anything to do with satnav and telephone....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply.

I'll eat some porridge and try unscrewing it again.

Sounds like the sharks fin aerial will work, so worth getting.

You've been a great help.

Kind regards

Alan

·
Registered
158 Posts
Thanks for your reply.
I'll eat some porridge and try unscrewing it again.
Sounds like the sharks fin aerial will work, so worth getting.
You've been a great help.
Kind regards
Alan
When fitted, lets see some Pictures of it! If your antena now is a bit difficult to uncrew, you can give it a Little WD40...that makes it easier to get off

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
...looking forward to seeing your pics in due course: I've only ever seen shark fins fitted as rear mounted aerials, not front ones: if yours looks good, I might try one on my Duster...

Joe

·
Registered
346 Posts
Looking forward to your post when you have fitted stepwaynoob, as reported the aerial does screw off but you may need to use grips with cloth protection to grip it. With the fitting to the front of the car I can't decide which way will look best, not worried that flat face to front would upset my fuel consumption if the streamlined look is better.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for your more technical reply. You clearly know more about aerials than I do, so it's good to hear from you.

I ordered the aerial a couple of days ago and am awaiting delivery, so I'll give it a try and see if it works. If it doesn't, at least it hasn't cost much but I will post my findings here.

At the moment I think I may have to alter the underside of the sharks fin as the Stepway aerial mount is quite close to the top of the wind screen and there is a curve on the roof surface, whereas the sharksfin has a flat base.

Let's see what happens in practice. I don't believe I can do any damage to the car. If I don't get a good signal, I won't bother sticking the sharks fin to the roof.

I'm really enjoying the Stepway. It has nice comfy seats compared to the park bench comfort of the Insignia it replace and it's currently doing 15mpg more. More fun to drive too.

Regards

Alan

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, the sharksfin aerial turned up. Unfortunately due to the physical design of the plastic aerial, it just wont fit. The front of the sharksfin aerial protrudes over the windscreen, even if you were to cut a slot in the front of its base. Also, as I surmised, the base of the aerial is completely flat whereas the roof is on a large radius so it wont lie flat against the surface of the roof. You'd have to use some white silicon to fill the gap to get it flat. Then it would more than likely fly off in a strong wind. So it's a nogo as far as I'm concerned.

I tried sitting it on the roof just to see if I liked the look of it but I thought it just looked ridiculous. It might look better at the back but I don't fancy drilling a hole in the roof.

Anyway it only cost me £7.50 to find out - and those really nice Chinese folk sent me a small 3D pic of the Great Wall in the package.

Oh well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts