UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hi all.

Have opted not to go for the spare wheel for £95 because the one in the showroom model had a 15" in it and the salesperson said that is standard now, they don't put a 16" in it.

My question is,my freind is selling a Megane/Scenic new steel wheel and tyre (205 / 55 / R16)and jack kit, can anyone confirm this size tyre is correct for the stepway?

Cheers

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,020 Posts
Hi all.

Have opted not to go for the spare wheel for £95 because the one in the showroom model had a 15" in it and the salesperson said that is standard now, they don't put a 16" in it.

My question is,my freind is selling a Megane/Scenic new steel wheel and tyre (205 / 55 / R16)and jack kit, can anyone confirm this size tyre is correct for the stepway?

Cheers
The tyre size is right, but the wheel rim is different, You would need to measure the stud PCD, the centre hole mounting diameter and the off-set. Sorry can't help any more, but, I believe there is a web site listing wheel characteristics. ;)

My Stepway ? I'm lovin' it !! :D :D

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have just heard that the 15" isn't the right one which they supply... Guess I could just ask the dealer if they could change my order to a spare wheel one...Only thing is, the above wheel and jack is £50 compared to £95....

·
Premium Member
4,020 Posts
I have just heard that the 15" isn't the right one which they supply... Guess I could just ask the dealer if they could change my order to a spare wheel one...Only thing is, the above wheel and jack is £50 compared to £95....
I know there has been lots of discussion on the forum regarding 'spare wheels' but on my invoice it quoted 'emergency spare wheel' so a 15" with an 80k/ph sticker one is just that, an emergency spare wheel ! Fully legal by the way. Far better than the 'gunge' kit supplied as standard !

It will get you home and to a tyre dealer to have the punctured one repaired so I personally don't see the problem, bet I get some 'stick' for that quote !

The rolling diameter of both 16" & 15" is the same !

By the way , I got a full size matching 'spare' with a 80k/ph sticker on it, so work that one out !

My Stepway ? I'm lovin' it !! :D :D

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I know what your saying. I can get a wheel and a tyre brand new which i know will fit for £72.75 with free delivery, so just need the jack and tools to come in less than £22.25.... Now me thinks the £95 is reasonable. And there's always a chance it will already come with a 16" wheel I guess.

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
Yeah I know what your saying. I can get a wheel and a tyre brand new which i know will fit for £72.75 with free delivery, so just need the jack and tools to come in less than £22.25.... Now me thinks the £95 is reasonable. And there's always a chance it will already come with a 16" wheel I guess.
I ordered the emergency spare for £95 - if its a smaller space saver or the full sise I don't mind, it beats having a crappy kit in the car which means you'd end up buying a new tyre anyway!

·
Registered
517 Posts
As far as I know there was/is a huge problem with spare wheels at the importation hub, couple this to the fact that there is no part number for a 5 spoke 16" wheel (The Stepway is too new for the parts system maybe?) and you have all the makings of a farce. IF you want to buy a spare wheel that you can legally use should you have a puncture then insist on a 5 spoke 16" spare. The 15" is not legal to fit and drive on, yes it may the same rolling radius (unlikely) but IF you did have an accident with it fitted it would be you not Dacia in hot water. Alternatively order a spare wheel rim and fit your own tyre, the Dacia specification for the wheel is 6Jx16" with 36mm offset, if the dealer in unable/unwilling to provide the correct spare wheel/tyre combination CHANGE YOUR DEALER.

Try this part number on your dealer

40 30 035 25R - it could just turn out to be a 5 spoke 16" steel wheel

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
Why is it illegal?

Space saver wheels are generally a smaller size than that fitted to the car but they have the same overall rolling radius, how are these legal in that case?

·
Registered
517 Posts
Here we go again! Space saver wheels are on the ragged edge of the construction and use regulations. Space save spare wheels are allowed to be thinner NOT smaller in diameter - and that's where all the angst comes from a 15" wheel is not the same as 16" wheel - end of story, wrangle if you must but its not.

(first came across this when we made rally cars with different sized wheels front and rear - what a performance we ended up with the same sized wheels all round)

anyway

IF you have a space save spare wheel it must be stickered, the owners manual must explain its use and you can only drive at a maximum of 50mph to the nearest tyre repair depot no further.

You don't have to have any spare wheel

You don't have to have the correct sized spare wheel BUT and here's the rub if you fit a wheel to your axel that is a different diameter to the other wheels you could find yourself in trouble.

Dacia state that for a few pounds you can exchange the inflation kit for a full sized spare wheel and jack, this gets lost in translation and they fit whatever they to hand at the time - we think.

If the dealer wont or cant supply the correct sized wheel find another dealer because there are many out there who do understand their obligations and do supply the correct kit.

hope this helps

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
Fair enough.

In that case the emergency spare (full size or space saver) has to be a 16 or its not fit for purpose. I know I'm due a full size spare as that was confirmed by the salesman and written on my order form :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Ok change of plan. Been back into the showroom today, added the spare wheel £95 and also they were doing a 3 year service plan for £350 which I think is excellent, as on Dacia website it is £489 for all models, so I am very pleased with this as it is £116.66 for a service each year.

·
Registered
135 Posts
15 inch spare supplied by Dacia has overall tyre diameter of 621 mm

16 inch road wheels supplied by Dacia has overall tyre diameter 632 mm

So they are not the same diameter, this is a straight lie put about by dealers and Dacia to try and con customers.

These 15 inch wheels are defintely not legal as road wheels, and could only be used to drive to nearest tyre shop - where you will have to buy a new tyre for your 16 inch wheel.

You will not be able to shop around for best tyre price as you would if your spare was 16 inch.

If the wheel itself is damaged as part of the puncture, guess what a new wheel will take at least 3 days to arrive and you will be stuck.

With the 15 inch spare you are restricted to 50 mph and handling will be significantly sub standard. With a 16 inch spare you could continue your journey no problem at normal speeds.

There is a part number for the 16 inch wheel, and they are easily available from Renault Direct, and you can buy the tyre from blackcircles dot com or similar.

The 15 inch spares are being fitted at the import centre where these cars arrive in the country, not by Dacia Romania, or by the dealers, and it is a simple cost saving measure.

The 15 inch spares are not proper space savers, they are not the same diameter as the road wheels, and they are not significantly lighter than the road wheels to save weight and fuel as proper space savers do.

Its a major con by Dacia.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Coolcat,

I totally agree with you 100%, but putting my legal head on, they sell it as an ''Emergency spare wheel'' for £95. It does not say full sized spare wheel anywhere to my knowledge, if it did then this is a whole different story.

If the tyre will legally get you to the nearest garage, then they have not mis-sold this by putting in a 15" wheel. It is not right, and it is cost cutting yes, but legally there is no ground against them for this as the law makes an exception for temporary use spare wheels fitted in an emergency.

So I guess it is pot luck as to what you get from the import centre, I will try to have this out with the dealer, but we shall see when it arrives.

·
Registered
517 Posts
The new brochure says emergency spare wheel, the old one said full size spare wheel, in Turkey it says "spare wheel" and you get a full sized one, when I queried it with my dealer he wanted to know why I thought there was any other size that could possibly be fitted! To be fair the law in Turkey is slightly different, if you have a spare it must be the right size, they also insist on lots of other equipment we don't see in the UK, like 2 warning triangles, full medical kit to include a neck brace and a tourniquet, field dressings, pain killlers, bandages, sissors, safety pins, tow rope, torch, fire extinguisher, wheel chocks, the list is or seems endless and the Police do check this lot along with the vehicle documents, residency permit, passport, car ownership papers, insurance, blood type certificate, yes blood type cert, cost is 66p from a private hospital, and a doctors certificate stating you are fit to drive a LHD car. Turkish drivers (we suspect) just need a pulse and no paperwork judging by the state of some the wrecks on the roads.

ANYWAY back to topic, write "full sized spare wheel" on the order, it then becomes part of the contract. If they wont agree to this do as I said before, find another dealer.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I will wait until the car is ready for collection. I will then refuse to pay until I have it written that a 16" will be ordered.

David, if the brochure here said ''full size spare wheel'', then there is no question they are in the wrong, if it says ''emergency spare wheel'', they are doing nothing wrong but cost cutting.

·
Registered
517 Posts
The brochure in the UK used to say "full sized spare wheel" - it doesn't now I agree, the cynic in me thinks the reason for the change is that they don't employ anyone bright enough to understand feet and inches and who can recognise the different cars they produce, and hence put the right wheel in the right car :)

·
Premium Member
4,020 Posts
15 inch spare supplied by Dacia has overall tyre diameter of 621 mm

16 inch road wheels supplied by Dacia has overall tyre diameter 632 mm

So they are not the same diameter, this is a straight lie put about by dealers and Dacia to try and con customers.

These 15 inch wheels are defintely not legal as road wheels, and could only be used to drive to nearest tyre shop - where you will have to buy a new tyre for your 16 inch wheel.

You will not be able to shop around for best tyre price as you would if your spare was 16 inch.

If the wheel itself is damaged as part of the puncture, guess what a new wheel will take at least 3 days to arrive and you will be stuck.

With the 15 inch spare you are restricted to 50 mph and handling will be significantly sub standard. With a 16 inch spare you could continue your journey no problem at normal speeds.

There is a part number for the 16 inch wheel, and they are easily available from Renault Direct, and you can buy the tyre from blackcircles dot com or similar.

The 15 inch spares are being fitted at the import centre where these cars arrive in the country, not by Dacia Romania, or by the dealers, and it is a simple cost saving measure.

The 15 inch spares are not proper space savers, they are not the same diameter as the road wheels, and they are not significantly lighter than the road wheels to save weight and fuel as proper space savers do.

Its a major con by Dacia.
If you are pedantic about it, the 15" wheel & tyre is 1.7% smaller than than the 16" wheel & tyre, which is no differant to having a worn 16" tyre & a new 16" tyre on the same axle. Just pointing it out, that's all !! Carry on discussing !! :eek:

·
Registered
517 Posts
If you are really pedantic a worn to illegal 16" tyre would still be 3mm larger than an unworn 15" tyre so they would never be the same size!

carry on!

·
Premium Member
4,020 Posts
If you are really pedantic a worn to illegal 16" tyre would still be 3mm larger than an unworn 15" tyre so they would never be the same size!

carry on!
Remember we are talking about diameter here so 7mm of worn tread has to be taken of twice if you think about it ! ;)

I've said enough, just being devils advocate, I've no concerns one way or the other. My spare came as full size ! :p

Carry one without me !! B)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts