UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am torn between which one too order? Any help out there?!?! Me and the wife love them both..

Sent from my GT-S6810P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
517 Posts
Both are very competent vehicles the Stepway is better on unmade roads and is easier to get in and out of. The Sandero is better on good winding roads, why not have one of each?

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Depends on what your after. They are both the same car except that the Stepway sits higher and has more toys. Obviously this costs. So you pays your money and takes your choice. Where I live it would be fair to say the Stepway far outsells the Sandero.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Were not too bothered about toys,itll be a commuting andd motorway horse. The thing I worry about is though resale after say 5 years. I mean I know both will depreciate like a stone, but a hatch is always mote sellable?

·
Registered
517 Posts
In which case go for the cheapest option, and factor in £20 per week depreciation on capital you will then (if you save the £20 in an account somewhere) have enough to buy another one in 5 years time. I ran Chrysler Neons on the same basis far cheaper than a BMW!

Posted Via The DaciaForum.co.uk App

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Then its a no brainer. The Sandero ambiance 1,2 costs less then 7k has the stuff you really need (central locking' electric windows) and in five years time will still worth a grand or two.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In which case go for the cheapest option, and factor in £20 per week depreciation on capital you will then (if you save the £20 in an account somewhere) have enough to buy another one in 5 years time. I ran Chrysler Neons on the same basis far cheaper than a BMW!

Never thought of it that way....brilliant!

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
Were not too bothered about toys,itll be a commuting andd motorway horse. The thing I worry about is though resale after say 5 years. I mean I know both will depreciate like a stone, but a hatch is always mote sellable?

Not as bad as you expect CAP have the Dacia as the lowest depreciating brand at present, but as it's so new only time will tell.

I'm bias so will say Stepway

·
Registered
135 Posts
In 3 years time, or whenever you come to sell it, a lot will depend on the fashion in slightly higher cars, and whether that still attracts a premium - my view is it likely to remain this way. This is basically fashion and it could go either way. This will make the biggest difference to your long term costs, depreciation.

Well the lease costs for similarly specified Sanderos and Stepways are very close, only pence or a few pounds difference in the monthly cost. This means the lease companies expect the Stepway to depreciate less, as there is more "cost of money" factored into the Stepway to cover the additional purchase price. So if you have the money sitting in the bank (and wont be paying interest to loan it) then there is little in it financially.

Obviously the Stepway is a little more road tax, tyres will cost a little more, and slightly worse fuel economy.

I would just choose what you prefer I doubt there is going to be much difference financially over the long term.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Coolcat, yes the expected depreciation is very similar but they are looking at percentage depreciation, I have always found it best to examine depreciation in real pounds. In this case a commuter car starting with the lowest model input (price) will yield the least loss of hard east over any period of ownership in the case of Dacia cars.

My Neons lost around 40% over 3 years and 80k miles, a BMW 3 series lost 30% but the starting prices were £11,000 and £25,000 respectively, running costs were higher with colleagues BMWs but I discount those but do the math on depreciation beware of percentages.

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
I'd be biased and say the Sandero... Considerably cheaper, slightly cheaper to run, and likely to depreciate less (if only just) due to the low sale value when brand new. The stepways are sold more, so the Sandero is slightly 'rarer' and may be easier to sell at the end of it.

£20 a week? That equates to £5200 over 5 years. Does that mean you reckon that an Access model will be worth just £795 MAXIMUM when it's 5 years old? I hope not...

Though I am getting the Laureate, I'd factor around £5-10 per week over 4 years. That would at least mean that it would loose a maximum of 3k. Is that conceivable, or is it likely that my £8k car will be worth far less than 5 when I come to sell?

Actually, having read that, it seems valid that it will probably be worth 3k max... Hmmmmmmmmm

·
Registered
517 Posts
No! But I think the price for a new one will have risen.

·
Registered
135 Posts
DavidH,

No the lease companies are calculating the real pounds depreciation for that model and dividing it by the 36 months of the lease, adding their costs of doing business and profit, and coming up with a lease price per month.

Equivalent Sanderos and Stepways are pence difference per month in lease price.

Which means the lease companies expect the Stepway to depreciate less, because there is extra interest on the money for them to finance the Stepway.

Lease costs are always a good indicator of true real pounds depreciation, except in the occasional years when the lease companies get it wrong and misjudge what the fashion for a particular car will be in 3 years time - but they get it correct more often than not that's their core business.

·
Registered
71 Posts
If you're working purely on finance...then the Sandero Access model makes obvious sense. If you want something that is a little more visually appealing, then you'll presumably be willing to fork out the extra for better equipment levels. Personally, I'd suggest that the body design tends towards utilitarian, especially the front end, so if looks matter to you, I believe the Stepway turns this very much to its advantage.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Cheapest Sandero I can find to lease is a 1.2 @ £116.04 per month for 48 months ex vat you will pay £5565.92 ex vat

Cheapest Stepway I can find is a .9Tci @ £137.29 per month ex vat for 48 months you pay £6589.92 ex vat

Value new £5995 and £8395 respectively so as a commuter machine the Sandero wins

·
Registered
349 Posts
i dont understand the reason for leasing????

buying isnt a mile away from that.

my ignorance has prob made me overlook something though

·
Registered
517 Posts
We are looking at lease values as an indication of future depreciation, obviously for most private individuals buying makes the most sense.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Lofty, I have a Stepway but depreciation is not a simple sum, I think most used car buyers would offer less for ex leased car as opposed to a 1 private owner vehicle everything else being equal, like service history etc.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts