UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Strange thing happened today, I felt the car "caugh" and then it did not seem to run as smooth as normal, looking in the rear view mirror I noticed significant smoke coming from the rear of the car!!!
I pulled over and left the engine running no unusual signs or smells, the only thing I noticed was a creamy liquid coming from the exhaust.
Drove the car home after a break and all seemed well!
I have taken a photo of the exhaust and attached no sign of the fluid now but you can see the remnants of it...
Any ideas?
Its a 4x2 dCi 110 by the way!

Attachments

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No warning lights,
Smoke was blueish colour
Oil OK
Water OK
Diesel from a petrol station various Shell, BP, etc (sorry not sure what else to answer)
Mileage 2,500 miles

·
Archived Member
372 Posts
Strange thing happened today, I felt the car "caugh" and then it did not seem to run as smooth as normal, looking in the rear view mirror I noticed significant smoke coming from the rear of the car!!!
I pulled over and left the engine running no unusual signs or smells, the only thing I noticed was a creamy liquid coming from the exhaust.
I have taken a photo of the exhaust and attached no sign of the fluid now but you can see the remnants of it...
Any ideas?
Don't worry it's sounds like its a DPF regeneration cycle,the engine will feel sluggish for a while and the smoke will be whiteish in colour.

It should happen every 500 hundred miles or so. Depending on what driving you are doing !

Reactions: Bex and Davec

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Blue smoke from the exhaust is burning oil, grey smoke is unburnt diesel fuel, white is steam, (condensation). As said above it may have been a DPF regeneration, (excess diesel in the exhaust).

·
Registered
96 Posts
Don't worry it's sounds like its a DPF regeneration cycle,the engine will feel sluggish for a while and the smoke will be whiteish in colour.
It should happen every 500 hundred miles or so. Depending on what driving you are doing !
Have to agree cleaning out the DPF. We had an Audi A3 and it did the same a bit worrying the first time. Also some times the warning light came on to say DPF fault. This happens if a lot of city driving at slow speed or lots of short journeys. The manual said run the car at constant speed for 20 minutes. So off to the motorway for a run then a big cloud of smoke out the back and the light went off and all was well.

DaveC

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've run few diesels, Ford, Renault, Honda, Skoda, Saab, Fiat, Alfa Romeo... the last was a Golf Blue Motion 61 reg (the last Company car before I gave them up), never had it happen, but I was averaging 40k PA (have done upto 50K PA) - lot of motorway driving. Occasionaly I run it for a few miles at high engine revs to clear the particulate filter, and a number of motor manufacturers I've worked for recommend 'clearing out the filter'.

Never experieneced a regeneration, you learn something new every day.

·
Archived Member
372 Posts
I've run few diesels, Ford, Renault, Honda, Skoda, Saab, Fiat, Alfa Romeo... the last was a Golf Blue Motion 61 reg (the last Company car before I gave them up), never had it happen, but I was averaging 40k PA (have done upto 50K PA) - lot of motorway driving. Occasionaly I run it for a few miles at high engine revs to clear the particulate filter, and a number of motor manufacturers I've worked for recommend 'clearing out the filter'.

Never experieneced a regeneration, you learn something new every day.
It all depends on what type of driving you do, ie short / town driving or motorways.

If you do mainly town driving then the DPF never really gets upto temperature to burn off the soot it collects, so the engine management system senses when the DPF is full of soot and injects extra diesel into the exhaust to warm up the DPF to something like 600 c to burn off the soot, this is a regen cycle.

If you do mixed driving then sometimes when on the motorway the exhaust gets upto temperature where it burns off some of soot in the DPF so a regen does not need to happen as often.

I would say at least once a week take the car on a motorway for a good run, this way it will save you problems down the line with blocked DPF , it can be very costly to replace them.

If you do a search on google for the Renault 1.5 dci engine you'll find loads of problems with DPF !

Reactions: antavi and Bex

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yup, agree with a blast down the motorway, I've seen TSB's (Technical Service Bulletins) advising to do the same. Just never experienced the symptoms described above, but as you say maybe I wouldn't due to the miles and type of journeys. Nonetheless this is one of my reasons for ordering a petrol.

·
Archived Member
372 Posts
Yup, agree with a blast down the motorway, I've seen TSB's (Technical Service Bulletins) advising to do the same. Just never experienced the symptoms described above, but as you say maybe I wouldn't due to the miles and type of journeys. Nonetheless this is one of my reasons for ordering a petrol.
Snap, that's why I ordered a petrol duster 4x4 :)

I had loads of DPF problem on a Mitsubishi ASX 4x4 , the extra diesel injected into the exhaust and extra diesel injected on the exhaust stroke of the engine can find its way into the engine oil, which over time dilutes the engine oil, my ASX needed an oil change every 3000 mile to cope with it. And I did 300 motorway miles every week ! So petrol was a no Brainer for me :)

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Any ideas?
have you checked the inside of the oil filler cap for same residue? if its there it's " oil emulsioning" this is caused by water getting in the oil and can be one or more problems I.e blown head gasket, damaged piston ring, damaged valve guide seal. if you have this emulsion in the oil get it to service centre ASAP !

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes checked that, both the filler cap and the dip stick all clear and as you would expect, well when I say clear the dipstick has oil on it of course!

Strange if it is this DPF thing, I have had two Diesel Meganes before this car and never experienced this behaviour, do the Meganes 1.5 dCi's not have DPF?

The other thing that concerns me is that I do 100+ miles a day to and from work and this weekend I had done a 100mile round trip down the motorway the preceding day so I thought that would have cleared everything out.

Lastly when you say take it for a blast, do you mean put your foot down and rev the engine or is it purely down to length of journey and prolonged engine temp. I say that because I am still not pushing the engine probably peaking the revs at 3,000 revs on gear changes (probably lower in most cases), is this not enough for DPF?

Lastly why are not told about this behaviour in the manual or at the handover at the showroom as I can imagine quite a few people getting concerned about it when it happens to them.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Yes checked that, both the filler cap and the dip stick all clear and as you would expect, well when I say clear the dipstick has oil on it of course!

Strange if it is this DPF thing, I have had two Diesel Meganes before this car and never experienced this behaviour, do the Meganes 1.5 dCi's not have DPF?

The other thing that concerns me is that I do 100+ miles a day to and from work and this weekend I had done a 100mile round trip down the motorway the preceding day so I thought that would have cleared everything out.

Lastly when you say take it for a blast, do you mean put your foot down and rev the engine or is it purely down to length of journey and prolonged engine temp. I say that because I am still not pushing the engine probably peaking the revs at 3,000 revs on gear changes (probably lower in most cases), is this not enough for DPF?

Lastly why are not told about this behaviour in the manual or at the handover at the showroom as I can imagine quite a few people getting concerned about it when it happens to them.
i would pop it back to dealers tally. white goo n blue smoke not good combination. if it was clearing the soot out it wouldn't produce either of those.

·
Registered
308 Posts
How can you manage regular motorway driving if you live in the only county without a motorway, Dorset!

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
do the Meganes 1.5 dCi's not have DPF?
We've got a Megane 1.5 dCi, haven't noticed this happen before. I don't often drive the car though (missus's car), but she hasn't reported anything untoward yet either.

·
Registered
228 Posts
The renault duster manual under "fault finding" says;

Abnormal white smoke from exhaust;

a) mechanical fault damaged cylinger head gasket; stop the engine contact authorised dealer..or

b)This is not necessarily a fault Smoke may be cause by regeneration of particle filter; Refer to "special features of the diesel engine" in section 2

This section says;

When driving, depending on the fuel
grade used, it is possible that white
smoke may be emitted.

This is due to the exhaust particle filter
being cleaned automatically, and does
not affect the way the vehicle runs.

Here is a link to the manual.

I am presumoing the one you have been given with the car has the same advice.

http://pdfsb.com/readonline/5a56524c6577422b574878364458316b55554d3d

Would it be cheeky to suggest reading it? :rolleyes: :ph34r:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts