UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
amazing, just amazing!
2,926 Posts
Supposedly been in force since the Autumn, if so I've not heard of a raft of speeding fines going out. My opinion of speeding is do it if you want but stfu and pay the fine if you get caught. You choose to do it in the full knowledge it's breaking the law, be responsible for your own actions.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Supposedly been in force since the Autumn, if so I've not heard of a raft of speeding fines going out. My opinion of speeding is do it if you want but stfu and pay the fine if you get caught. You choose to do it in the full knowledge it's breaking the law, be responsible for your own actions.
Remember these words first time you get booked for drifting onto 31mph in a 30 - even cruise control can't maintain speeds to that level of accuracy.

I agree with your sentiments as far as blatant disregarding of limits is concerned, especially around town, but this, as Nessi says, has nothing to do with right and wrong, safety or danger. It is merely another example of how today's traffic police are little more than revenue collection agents; modern day highwaymen working on behalf of the Government of the day.

·
amazing, just amazing!
2,926 Posts
Not saying I'd be happy getting done at 1 mile over but I really can't see it happening. The first time someone challenges it the readings will be thrown out of court, I doubt the equipment the police use can be guaranteed to that kind if accuracy either.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Remember these words first time you get booked for drifting onto 31mph in a 30 - even cruise control can't maintain speeds to that level of accuracy.

I agree with your sentiments as far as blatant disregarding of limits is concerned, especially around town, but this, as Nessi says, has nothing to do with right and wrong, safety or danger. It is merely another example of how today's traffic police are little more than revenue collection agents; modern day highwaymen working on behalf of the Government of the day.
What is concerning about a no tolerance on being fractionally over the limit is....
The clock style Car speedos can look like they are on the limit but your speed could me marginally over,,, A driver tends to keep there eye on the road and just takes quick glances at the speedo not study it to ensure its exactly in line with the marker.
Also things like the gradient of a road can curse you car to marginally gain speed, for example you are travelling on a level road then the road has a slight downward gradient where your car could gain speed although to the driver the road still appears to be a level road..
So a total no tolerance to exceeding the speed is unacceptable and would be persecution of motorists.

·
amazing, just amazing!
2,926 Posts
A couple of months back I started using a GPS HUD, just a cheap Chinese thing but it works really well and is a lot more accurate that the vehicle speedo. Because it projects up onto the windscreen I can see my true speed and I don't have to look down to do it.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A couple of months back I started using a GPS HUD, just a cheap Chinese thing but it works really well and is a lot more accurate that the vehicle speedo. Because it projects up onto the windscreen I can see my true speed and I don't have to look down to do it.
HaHa you trust something cheap and made in wonky konky to be accurate...
Hope its better than the bulbs I just got from there, Fitted them into my interior lights, and they instantly blew the fuse

·
amazing, just amazing!
2,926 Posts
It's not as easy finding a GPS unit as it is the OBD one, I chose the GPS for my van because the van's speedo is a good 10% out (fast) and with the A9 I wanted to be more sure what my actual speed was. It pretty much agrees with the sat nav as far as that goes which is good. I had to use the reflective patch for the glass though as it ghosts quite badly without it.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
What is concerning about a no tolerance on being fractionally over the limit is....
The clock style Car speedos can look like they are on the limit but your speed could me marginally over,,, A driver tends to keep there eye on the road and just takes quick glances at the speedo not study it to ensure its exactly in line with the marker.
Also things like the gradient of a road can curse you car to marginally gain speed, for example you are travelling on a level road then the road has a slight downward gradient where your car could gain speed although to the driver the road still appears to be a level road..
So a total no tolerance to exceeding the speed is unacceptable and would be persecution of motorists.
My point exactly. Whether or not thwy are actually enforcing it or not, they're quite content for the majority of folk to live in fear that they are, which will lead to them diverting far more of their attention from watching the road to watching the speedo than is reasonable - some road safety strategy!

·
Super Moderator
2,832 Posts
You don't have to drive AT the speed limit. Its a maximum not a target. Nor is the speed limit a safe speed in all road conditions. You can drive at a speed such that variances don't take you over the limit. Speeding contributes to deaths of hundreds of road users. If your partner or child died because someone was speeding, would you think that they might be late for work was a good enough excuse?

No money from speeding fines goes to the Police. A small amount goes to the court and the rest goes to the treasury.

Excessive speed contributes to 15% of collisions in which someone is killed, 6% of crashes resulting in a serious injury and 4% of all injury collisions. In 2013, 249 people were killed in crashes involving someone exceeding the speed limit and a further 209 people died when someone was travelling too fast for the conditions.

Approximately two-thirds of all crashes in which people are killed or injured happen on roads with a speed limit of 30 mph or less. At 35 mph a driver is twice as likely to kill someone as they are at 30 mph.

At 30 mph, vehicles travel 44 feet (about 3 car lengths) every second.

Even in good conditions, the difference in stopping distance between 30 mph and 35 mph is an extra 21 feet, more than 2 car lengths.

For pedestrians struck by cars, the risk of being killed increases slowly until impact speeds of around 30 mph, but above this speed, the risk increases rapidly. A pedestrian hit by a car travelling at between 30 mph and 40 mph is 3.5 to 5.5 times more likely to be killed than one struck by a car travelling at less than 30 mph. Elderly pedestrians have a much greater risk of suffering fatal injuries than other age groups.

For car occupants, the risk of being in a collision with another vehicle also increases with speed. The risk is much higher in a side impact than in a frontal impact.

Even a small amount above the limit makes a big difference.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
You don't have to drive AT the speed limit. Its a maximum not a target. Nor is the speed limit a safe speed in all road conditions. You can drive at a speed such that variances don't take you over the limit. Speeding contributes to deaths of hundreds of road users. If your partner or child died because someone was speeding, would you think that they might be late for work was a good enough excuse?

No money from speeding fines goes to the Police. A small amount goes to the court and the rest goes to the treasury.

Excessive speed contributes to 15% of collisions in which someone is killed, 6% of crashes resulting in a serious injury and 4% of all injury collisions. In 2013, 249 people were killed in crashes involving someone exceeding the speed limit and a further 209 people died when someone was travelling too fast for the conditions.

Approximately two-thirds of all crashes in which people are killed or injured happen on roads with a speed limit of 30 mph or less. At 35 mph a driver is twice as likely to kill someone as they are at 30 mph.
At 30 mph, vehicles travel 44 feet (about 3 car lengths) every second.

Even in good conditions, the difference in stopping distance between 30 mph and 35 mph is an extra 21 feet, more than 2 car lengths.

For pedestrians struck by cars, the risk of being killed increases slowly until impact speeds of around 30 mph, but above this speed, the risk increases rapidly. A pedestrian hit by a car travelling at between 30 mph and 40 mph is 3.5 to 5.5 times more likely to be killed than one struck by a car travelling at less than 30 mph. Elderly pedestrians have a much greater risk of suffering fatal injuries than other age groups.

For car occupants, the risk of being in a collision with another vehicle also increases with speed. The risk is much higher in a side impact than in a frontal impact.

Even a small amount above the limit makes a big difference.
And if we all drove at 25 instead of 30, or 20 instead of 25 etc. the risks would be even less. We could minimise the risks by travelling at walking pace behind a man carrying a red flag - or even better, eliminate them entirely by not driving at all.

Perhaps you could find out the relevant figures to compare travelling at 31 mph rather than 35, as the latter speed is not really relevant to this particular discussion, for reasons already stated.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have friends working in the traffic devision and I have been told that they get targets to reach so you can't tell me it's about safety it's all about raising funds

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
...over the last 30 years I have had my licence endorsed, received points, and been fined several times for what I regard as marginal speeding offences, where I was paying slightly more attention to road and traffic conditions than to the stated limits...

...thankfully, my licence has now been 'pointless' for around 5 years - although I confess to having spent 2 afternoons 'on the naughty step' (aka Speed Awareness Session) just over 3 years apart...

...my understanding is that manufacturers' speedometers may over-estimate a vehicle's speed by a small percentage (meaning that you are driving slower than the speedo reading), but - and I am deliberately using capitals - THEY MUST NOT UNDERESTIMATE THE VEHICLE'S SPEED...

...so I would always take the view that if my speedo says 30 we are actually doing a bit less than that - but NEVER more than that...

...as others have noted, I also use an inexpensive satnav - actually a pretty decent NavMan from a few years ago - which consistently reads slightly lower (and I think more accurately) than the vehicle's own speedo. as I do quite a bit of cycling on/off road I also have a hand-held Garmin, which also reads slightly lower than the vehicle's speedo...

...the only exception is my Honda Transalp, which matches the NavMan & Garmin exactly - after all, it is an ex-Police bike with a calibrated speedo...

...and to reiterate other comments earlier in this thread those numbers at the roadside are limits not targets...

Joe
p.s. we only have 4 fixed speeding cameras over here, in known locations, plus at least one clearly marked mobile roadside van (which can look both ways at once) sowe really have no excuse for speeding, or getting caught!

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
...over the last 30 years I have had my licence endorsed, received points, and been fined several times for what I regard as marginal speeding offences, where I was paying slightly more attention to road and traffic conditions than to the stated limits...

...and to reiterate other comments earlier in this thread those numbers at the roadside are limits not targets...
Yes they are, and no-one is disagreeing with that - it is this notion of picking an arbitrary number and enforcing with Zero Tolerance that is a nonsense. Like it or not, it WILL lead to MORE accidents as drivers divert attention from the road to the speedo. I challenge anyone to maintain speed within +/- 1mph without fixating on the needle, and I say this as a Professional Driver. Try it for yourself; I have, on more than one occasion.

If road safety was genuinely the aim, the proposal would be to introduce a lower limit, while maintaining some common-sense tolerance. There's absolutely no reason why limits have to be in multiples of 10mph, so lowering the 30 limit to 25, with the same 10% +2mph tolerance would achieve the stated reduction in speeds, and thus the same "statistical" lowering of risk, but without the need for drivers to be constantly checking the gauge.

I'd be willing to concede too that, while 10% +2 is probably about right in 20 to 30 zones, there's really no need to apply such a wide tolerance in a 60 (68) or 70 (79) limit; it should be quite apparent to any driver worth their salt as soon as they go 4-5mph over.

One last thing for the pious to chew on: after losing my father in 2013, my mother found herself having to retake a driving test, as she had not driven for almost 40 years and her original license had not been updated to the computerised format. She had to sit her test twice, having failed the first time on speed. Not for going too fast, but because the examiner considered she was not making sufficient progress.

The section concerned was a B-road with a 60mph limit, and her speed was 50-55 mph throughout. So no, they aren't "targets," but the DVSA, or some sections of it at least, seems to like you to be feathering them.

How to win?

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Get that speed limiter set and forget all about it, and if it's too worrying set it 2 mph lower, that way you can look out for the traps And pass them at a ridiculously slow speed:-D

·
Super Moderator
2,832 Posts
If road safety was genuinely the aim, the proposal would be to introduce a lower limit, while maintaining some common-sense tolerance.

Just pretend its 25mph with a 6 mph tolerance then.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Get that speed limiter set and forget all about it, and if it's too worrying set it 2 mph lower, that way you can look out for the traps And pass them at a ridiculously slow speed:-D
Would do if I had such a thing

If road safety was genuinely the aim, the proposal would be to introduce a lower limit, while maintaining some common-sense tolerance.

Just pretend its 25mph with a 6 mph tolerance then.
If only everyone else would do the same, I could be confident no-one was going to run up my arse while religiously watching their speedo reading. Also, see the last two paragraphs of post#14.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Would do if I had such a thing

If only everyone else would do the same, I could be confident no-one was going to run up my arse while religiously watching their speedo reading. Also, see the last two paragraphs of post#14.
one of the best inventions... I use mine constantly at work, never let me down once... Yet :-D

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Aye, my Cee'd is just a wee bit too old to have one. I intend to spec my next car with it if possible, although I have my doubts if it would work at low speeds. The Cee'd cruise control doesn't operate below 40mph, I imagine as the limiter is part of the same system it wouldn't either.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Aye, my Cee'd is just a wee bit too old to have one. I intend to spec my next car with it if possible, although I have my doubts if it would work at low speeds. The Cee'd cruise control doesn't operate below 40mph, I imagine as the limiter is part of the same system it wouldn't either.
It works fairly well at any speed really, on hgvs it uses the exhaust brake or retarder with forced engine braking to fight the speed increase, quite rowdy on a severe downhill. not sure if it just cuts the fuel to the engine on a car, but if you try and out accelerate it it just stops you, sometimes on a really steep hill it just can't help you unfortunately.
If you really want a speed limiter that's in control apparently ford are going to put in an adaptive speed limiter in future cars, which recognises road signs and adjust accordingliy :-D

1 - 20 of 31 Posts