UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening all!

Just gone to fit the cap mod on the strut tops under the bonnet and although they push on, they don't seem to take hold properly and seem a little loose.

Is this how they are meant to be??

Thanks y'all!!

·
Registered
425 Posts
Mine dont go all the way on but not as loose as your telling us..main problem I can see is either the top of the strut is touching the inside of the cap or the cap is touching the captive strut nut..

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Mine dont go all the way on but not as loose as your telling us..main problem I can see is either the top of the strut is touching the inside of the cap or the cap is touching the captive strut nut..
Mine are just like Phil's.
When I get a bit o spare time, I am going to have a good look at them to see if they can be modded to fit a bit better...

·
Registered
425 Posts
Mine are just like Phil's.
When I get a bit o spare time, I am going to have a good look at them to see if they can be modded to fit a bit better...
Bit of a measure ..distance from captive nut to top of strut and the distance inside the new cap..nothing a drill wont sort out.. :p

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
...just fitted a pair of FIAT 500 strut caps as recommended - they are secure but don't seat around the edge as well as I'd like, so I think I'll run a bead of silicone sealant around the mating surface...

...silicone sealant is the 3rd item every toolbox needs:

1) if it moves when it shouldn't - use duck tape
2) if it doesn't move, and it should - use WD40
3) if it doesn't seal properly - use silicone!

Joe

Reactions: clarkie1978

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
...just fitted a pair of FIAT 500 strut caps as recommended - they are secure but don't seat around the edge as well as I'd like, so I think I'll run a bead of silicone sealant around the mating surface...

...silicone sealant is the 3rd item every toolbox needs:

1) if it moves when it shouldn't - use duck tape
2) if it doesn't move, and it should - use WD40
3) if it doesn't seal properly - use silicone!

Joe
4) if it should never move again - use

·
Registered
313 Posts
They should actually screw onto the bolt sticking up from the suspension strut - If you push them on, you will never get them to fit snugly. Mine have been on for 2.5 years now, and never moved once. I bought the Fiat 500 ones - perfect fit!

·
Registered
425 Posts
They should actually screw onto the bolt sticking up from the suspension strut - If you push them on, you will never get them to fit snugly. Mine have been on for 2.5 years now, and never moved once. I bought the Fiat 500 ones - perfect fit!
Top marks on this post.. :)

·
Registered
425 Posts
I couldn't get them to fit tight either. Tried screwing and mine are Fiat 500. Perhaps the amount of exposed thread varies. I used large diameter O rings to fill the gap 62 mm X 3 mm.
Wrap some tape around the 3 fingers on the underside to pull them in slightly tighter..then try screwing one on gently..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts