UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, Im wondering could anyone help me.
The engine check light came on in my car and I brought it to the garage. The main dealers did a very quick check and said it was the gas monitoring system and that I would have to wait for the part to be ordered in but it was fine to drive. Fast forward a week later I was driving on the motorway, using cruise control, everything felt completely normal. I tipped the brake to knock off cruise control and the car came to a sudden and complete stop. I was in the left lane and thankfully the car behind me was a good distance away and had time to swerve. It was a terrifying thing to happen, especially with my children in the back seat. My car stayed switched on but nothing worked. The car had to be switched off and back on again for anything to work. All whilst in the middle of the motorway. We were in terrible panic and distress.
The garage explained to me that because the engine check light was on, the cars' other things might not work as well as they should. When the brake was tipped the car came out of cruise control, but it didnt register properly with the car and the car computer put the car into an emergency stop.( Maybe as a safety measure ) . On paper their explanation sounds like it makes sense but why has this never happened anyone else thay Ive spoken to.

So my question has anyone heard of this happening before? Also I am questioning was there a missed software update or recall that they forgot to notify me about, would anyone know where we could get this information?
Thank you

·
Registered
296 Posts
The engine check light came on in my car and I brought it to the garage. The main dealers did a very quick check and said it was the gas monitoring system and that I would have to wait for the part to be ordered in but it was fine to drive. Fast forward a week later I was driving on the motorway, using cruise control, everything felt completely normal. I tipped the brake to knock off cruise control and the car came to a sudden and complete stop. I was in the left lane and thankfully the car behind me was a good distance away and had time to swerve. It was a terrifying thing to happen, especially with my children in the back seat. My car stayed switched on but nothing worked. The car had to be switched off and back on again for anything to work. All whilst in the middle of the motorway. We were in terrible panic and distress.
The garage explained to me that because the engine check light was on, the cars' other things might not work as well as they should. When the brake was tipped the car came out of cruise control, but it didnt register properly with the car and the car computer put the car into an emergency stop.( Maybe as a safety measure ) . On paper their explanation sounds like it makes sense but why has this never happened anyone else thay Ive spoken to.

So my question has anyone heard of this happening before? Also I am questioning was there a missed software update or recall that they forgot to notify me about, would anyone know where we could get this information?
Thank you
This is surely an alarming DACIA safety problem which you would think should think deserves some response from Dacia . The situation should never happen. Sadly I think if you contact Dacia they will tell you to contact the dealer.

You will probably get a proper response if you go to the national papers with the story or threaten to have the story published.

Can you provide some details of your car. I wonder if the garage has a system for reporting back to the Dacia headquarters of defects especially ones safety related . If not how are Quality, Reliabily and Safety issues of Dacia cars controlled.

Ambvol

The "gas monitoring system fault" causing a serious safety issue ???????????

·
Registered
37 Posts
unfortunately, the check engine light can mean a lot of things. so it might not be gas monitoring system fault related at all what happened. I can't imagine a faulty catalyst (how bad that might be for the environment) would cause an emergency shut down on your car. I'm quite interested in hearing what the final culprit is (= source of the problem).

·
Registered
296 Posts
This is surely an alarming DACIA safety problem which you would think should think deserves some response from Dacia . The situation should never happen. Sadly I think if you contact Dacia they will tell you to contact the dealer.

You will probably get a proper response if you go to the national papers with the story or threaten to have the story published.

Can you provide some details of your car. I wonder if the garage has a system for reporting back to the Dacia headquarters of defects especially ones safety related . If not how are Quality, Reliabily and Safety issues of Dacia cars controlled.

Ambvol

The "gas monitoring system fault" causing a serious safety issue ???????????

·
Registered
3 Posts

Thank you
Driving down a country lane a red warning light flashed for a fraction of a second and the car braked and swered to the left. It was all over in a second then continued normally. I stopped when it was safe but could find no cause or reason. Had I been on the motorway where drivers often drive too close it could have resulted in a serious accident. My dealer says it was a fault allowing the active emergency braking to be activated. I am asking for a letter saying the fault will not recur and I am driving a loan car. Whether this is related to your fault I do not know but there are similarities.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I wonder did you get the letter ?

I have not been in any hazardous situations yet with my newish Sandero but have had regular intermittent ESP alerts which stay a short time with a spanner showing. Each time I report this to the garage I am told the car is safe to drive unless the alert stays on permanently. Their solution is to leave until the next service. I doubt that the garage would commit to a letter if I asked.

I can however remember one occasion when stopped and idling at the lights when the lights changed the car in front hesitated , I must have touched my brakes and the car stopped so hard that it felt almost like an impact .it was over in an instant . It was scarry . It must have been the emergency breaking system being triggered.

The situations reported that have clearly safety connotations makes me wonder how these reported back to Dacia HQ for them to assess. The times that I have raised a technical issue with the Dacia team I have been told that they are not a technical department and only deal with admin matters. Surely there is a system for monitoring defects. It is easy to get a good reliability record if defects are dealt with locally and not properly assessed for correction by the manufacturer

Ambvol.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I wonder did you get the letter ?

I have not been in any hazardous situations yet with my newish Sandero but have had regular intermittent ESP alerts which stay a short time with a spanner showing. Each time I report this to the garage I am told the car is safe to drive unless the alert stays on permanently. Their solution is to leave until the next service. I doubt that the garage would commit to a letter if I asked.

I can however remember one occasion when stopped and idling at the lights when the lights changed the car in front hesitated , I must have touched my brakes and the car stopped so hard that it felt almost like an impact .it was over in an instant . It was scarry . It must have been the emergency breaking system being triggered.

The situations reported that have clearly safety connotations makes me wonder how these reported back to Dacia HQ for them to assess. The times that I have raised a technical issue with the Dacia team I have been told that they are not a technical department and only deal with admin matters. Surely there is a system for monitoring defects. It is easy to get a good reliability record if defects are dealt with locally and not properly assessed for correction by the manufacturer

Ambvol.
My car was new in September last year and when the car was in last week being checked they said they found numerous faults using their diagnostic programs (I have an 8 page list from them). One found a fault with the red light warnings and they loaded an update. Having had repeated faults with windows not working, lights staying on, car not locking, red light warnings flashing on for a fraction of a second, it appears the system is poor overall and raises the question 'is it safe'?

·
Premium Member
2020 Sandero Stepway II, 1977 MGB Roadster
465 Posts
Has no one thought to report these possible faults officially?

I haven't lived in the UK for 25 years, and fortunately my 'outdated' Stepway II doesn't have all these ridiculous unnecessary gimmicks, so hopefully my car's relatively immune and these things won't affect me:unsure:

But curiosity got the better of me, and it's surprising what a search will do:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Has no one thought to report these possible faults officially?

I haven't lived in the UK for 25 years, and fortunately my 'outdated' Stepway II doesn't have all these ridiculous unnecessary gimmicks, so hopefully my car's relatively immune and these things won't affect me:unsure:

But curiosity got the better of me, and it's surprising what a search will do:

Yes I sent a copy of the problems recently to Dacia and will follow up with a phone call. On another thread someone mentioned Dacia is admin only and when experts have viewed my car they come from Renault.

·
Premium Member
2020 Sandero Stepway II, 1977 MGB Roadster
465 Posts
Yes, but have you sent it to the link I posted? I'm not clear when you say you sent a 'copy' to Dacia, was that a copy of what you sent to the link?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Yes I sent a copy of the problems recently to Dacia and will follow up with a phone call. On another thread someone mentioned Dacia is admin only and when experts have viewed my car they come from Renault.
JAG

Yes Dacia is Renault . Whilst Dacia can answer some straightforward queries they pass any thing else to the Renault UK office and but I had the same kind of response from them IE they only deal with admin type issues . Perhaps it's just me but they are hard to pin down. A simple example is the change of cabin filter in the "A " maintenance program , the first service. I queried why it was necessary regardless of mileage. They were unable to give an answer.

When I had my problems starting when the car was new IE it would not start. It was finally resolved it seems by a lot of
re programing and software patch which the garage said was due. It seem that there is another patch in the Renault diagnostic program which the garage has told me they have recently got which will help them answer a letter the I sent to them asking for an explanation for my records why the car was failing to start.

Going back to the issue at the start of the thread . It does seem that there is some evidence of a buggy computer programme that needs some urgent answer. Does the Dacia/Renault HQ Know about this. Surely it can't be left to individual local agents to give excuses.

Possibly all makes of cars have the same problem when new. Perhaps some cars are lucky and never have a problem from new for many years, Perhaps it's a fact that new models can be buggy . But there can be no argument that any fault with safety connotations need special top level attention and a clear reporting system.

I am sure many will watch this thread and will be interested in the resolutions

Ambvol.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts