UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Today I was up near Carlisle in the sticks, had a hell of a job finding a garage and I was getting low on fuel for my return journey as this journey wasn`t planned.

I went in a small garage and just put £15 quid in as I get my fuel cheaper near home. I joked with the owner, Wow I said, it`s expensive up here man (£119 a ltr) I said I get mine from Asda, I asked him how long had it been over £1 a ltre up here, lol

Anyway he told me I would have problems with my injectors getting fouled up with Supermarket fuel and said I would be sorry buying from them, I didn`t say anything, I have heard this before.

Now then, I used to be a BP tanker Driver and on the west side of the country there is only a Shell refinery and on the East is BP refinery, I don`t think you can buy fuel from any other place, we had an agreement, where we buy from Shell they buy from Bp it wouldn`t be viable trapesing across the country, I guess.

When in the q`s at the refineries in a morning waiting to fill the tanker, there was always a Q of tankers such as Asda, Tesco, Esso, etc loads more, you name it they were in the Q, we all drew the fuel from the same pumps. So How come there fuel is worse, am I missing something?

Do their drivers stop and have to drop water or dirt into them before they deliver?

Just wondered what they do that I don`t know about that makes the supermarkets fuels inferior, any ideas?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn`t go, I ended up in hospital for a week 2 days before, Kidney stone, back in hospital 9th June to zap it then have to replan my trip again. Of course it will cost more in the higher season

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
When in the q`s at the refineries in a morning waiting to fill the tanker, there was always a Q of tankers such as Asda, Tesco, Esso, etc loads more, you name it they were in the Q, we all drew the fuel from the same pumps. So How come there fuel is worse, am I missing something?

Do their drivers stop and have to drop water or dirt into them before they deliver?

Just wondered what they do that I don`t know about that makes the supermarkets fuels inferior, any ideas?
I'm firmly of the opinion it's a myth perpetuated by the big brands in an attempt to justify their inflated prices. Up here, the vast bulk of fuel, regardless of the brand on the forecourt, is supplied by Grangemouth Refinery.

Apart from the odd occasion where I've had to use a branded filling station for want of an alternative, I've used only supermarket fuels for about the past fifteen years, and never noticed any difference in performance, or experienced any trouble.

·
Registered
517 Posts
My only hard evidence to support the idea that supermarket fuel is inferior comes from my Subaru, if I filled up at supermarket the engine management light would come on. Shell, BP no problem. The first time it happened I phoned Subaru CS and they said "you have just filled up at a supermarket? don't worry the car will retune to the fuel in a few miles but it will be down on power". It did - it was.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hi,

My company Grand C-max TDCi car is diesel and we are recommended to use Morrison's fuel or Texaco as they're cheaper to use on the company fuel card.

Morrison's diesel is up to 5% Bio diesel and my company car generally runs like [email protected] when filled up with this fuel.

I often have to use it as it's the only station within a 10 mile radius of my home.

The result often tends to be a lack of power and accentuated flat spots throughout the rev range. The car runs fine on Texaco diesel though!

Cheers,

Jez.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Same here. If I fill up my JTD with Morrison's or Waitrose diesel it runs like a dog. If I fill up at the Shell its fine.

Anecdotal evidence isn't that useful but I'm sticking to Shell.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I am with Shell too, for a small price difference I just don't take the risk. Just filling my buckets up to give her a clean in the sun B)

·
Registered
985 Posts
Hi,

My company Grand C-max TDCi car is diesel and we are recommended to use Morrison's fuel or Texaco as they're cheaper to use on the company fuel card.

Morrison's diesel is up to 5% Bio diesel and my company car generally runs like [email protected] when filled up with this fuel.

I often have to use it as it's the only station within a 10 mile radius of my home.

The result often tends to be a lack of power and accentuated flat spots throughout the rev range. The car runs fine on Texaco diesel though!

Cheers,

Jez.
By law all Diesel sold in the EU since 2009 should contain 5% Biodiesel. At 5% fuel companies are not required to label pumps as such until the blend becomes 10% or more.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
There must be something in it, we used to fill our c max up every time at Asda, the car would barely make 250miles before it was down to its last quarter, since I've become a nectar point junkie and been filling up at bp it's usually around the 300 mark.
It's still poor mpg for a 55ltr tank, but it's easier to live with.
It doesn't do too bad on tesco fuel either as I can generally get a tankful with 20p off a litre there, although I've seen their tanker, it's got esso on it.
My friend who's a driving instructor also curses Asda fuel.
It's not much cheaper anyway, and more for convenience I think.

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
I've used supermarket fuel ever since driving and over 20 years I've done around 850,000 miles - never had any issues with it, yes you can spend a little more and have an additive or maybe a higher octane fuel but all fuel needs to meet a certain standard and any fuel can be contaminated and foul your injectors.

It becomes a personal choice and a perception thing too.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Some folk tell me Red diesel is dirty and not refined as well. The Poor farmer with his £100 000 tractor might be a little miffed if this were true.

It`s true some smaller oil companies, who incidentally, buy it from the same place, might not look after their stock as well and where they put the dregs might be a concern, but usually with big Tankers they go straight from the refinery into the Garage then back for more, doesn't`t matter what names on the side of the Tanker.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Red diesel is not the same as road diesel - yes it has a red dye but that's not the whole story, it has more sulphur - which for the engine is good and bad sulphur lubricates parts better but it makes more sulphuric acid when its burnt. There's a whole discussion at the moment on whether we should add a tiny amount of two stroke oil (2T) to road diesel to restore the lubrication properties, modern quality 2T oils burn clean and make no ash and no (extra) pollution so they should be "harmless to the environment" and very beneficial to the engine. The discussion continues.

As others have said fuels often do look the same and come from the same tanker but its the additives that make the differences. Base fuel is what supermarkets buy, i.e. fuel without additives, and there's nothing wrong with that but without additives it has a shelf life. And a bit like shops that sell short date food, short date fuel will be cheap to buy but can affect cold starting and performance as it gets old. The "problem" only seems to affect petrol - diesel seems to last for ever - but it can succumb to other ailments if not stored properly.

You don't come across the problem in motor vehicles too often but try and start a 4 stroke outboard motor on old fuel . . . good luck!

:)

·
Registered
25 Posts
I was told the same thing years ago by a mechanic and from my experience its true i use BP petrol
and i find it runs better and slightly better MPG than supermarket fuel

·
Registered
109 Posts
What can I say? Having worked in the industry until retirement, as a tanker driver picking up and delivering the stuff, I must be wrong. Sorry everyone

Never to old to learn

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Westy, I have a mate who worked in a refinery and is with you 100% . Drives him mental when I buy Shell ! :D

1 - 20 of 68 Posts