UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
I am looking to fit a Dash Cam system in my Stepway Laureate, almost all of them need an ignition switched power supply. They usually come supplied with a cigarette/accessory type plug, but I don't want this to permanently be in this socket. I have an extension lead for this type of socket and thinking of adapting this so that I can hard wire it to the cars wiring loom. So my question is "Does anyone know where the best/easiest place would be to find a supply point " e.g. fuse box or tap in to any wire. Thanks in advance to anyone taking time to read/respond Regards Dave T

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
I've recently hard wired my dash cam in my Logan. I used the wires running to the cig lighter to get my switched supply for the dash cam. It was very straight forward to do.

One thing to bear in mind is that there are special specific kits to aid hard-wiring of dash cameras and as far as I know it is not simply a case of chopping the plug off the end and using the bare wires then exposed. I know mine has a small plastic box the wires run through - perhaps the voltage at the camera end is not the same as that of the car?

Anyway...as for the actual plumbing in of the wires; I took the route via the passenger side windscreen pillar. If you pull the door seal away from the pillar, the inner plastic cover unclips from the metal pillar and you can thread your wire behind the trim. From there the wire can briefly tuck behind the headlining before appearing above the rear view mirror. At the other end, I ran the wire down the side of the dash board behind the door seal, then ran it along the bottom of the dash using cable ties to keep the wire held up and stop it snagging on passenger's feet. If you remove the two screws in the drinks holders forward of the gear stick on the centre console, you can then (from the passenger side) pull the side of the centre console out far enough to put your hand (or a family member's hand which might be smaller) in the gap and pull the plug from the back of the cig lighter. You can then attach your dash cam hard wiring kit to the wires running to the plug. I used those simple blue snap-lock connectors. Plug the cig lighter back in and hey presto! One ignition switched dash cam!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Austin-rover
Thanks for your reply, just the sort of thing I was hoping for.

As stated in my OP I intend to cut the plug end off the extension lead I already have, NOT off the supplied cam lead, as this has the transformer in that reduces the power from 12v to 5v(USB voltage)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts