UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
So my mum was driving the Logan when a speeding sports motorbike t-boned her as she was turning.

The guy realised he was at fault and sped off before my mum had a chance to get insurance details.

He was on a 600+ cc sports bike so there was no catching him in the Logan... by the time I got there in my Yaris he was long gone.

After a long conversation on the phone with Esure, it turns out that she has to make a claim and pay the excess which is fairly high, which brings me to my question... where can I get doors for the Logan MCV apart from directly from Dacia? I have access to a spray booth and I would rather do the work properly myself.

I attached a picture for y'all to see, makes me cringe seeing a 14-plate car like that (even if its only a Dacia) !

And to think, last week I was considering buying dashcams for everyone at home... wish I had now.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

Attachments

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Poor mum :(

hate to sound nasty but I really hope the scumbag responsible suffered some sort of injury. Incidentally looking at the picture don't think a dashcam would have captured the collision.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah everyone is fine thanks, its not that bad of an accident - just annoying that the guy rode off (didn't suffer any injury and his bike must've been fine).

I've seen dashcams that have a camera for the back window and a main camera for the front windshield. The memory card and all the controlling circuitry/buttons is with the front camera, the rear camera plugs into the front one. Perhaps it would not have been useful in this case where the motorbike has no number plate on the front but still.

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
awwww dizplay :( thats awful...glad ur mum is ok tho...thats the important thing...she'll be shocked tho...the insurance will cover it as a non fault collision...cos u cant drive a car sideways...
i had the same happen in the old C4 and they paid up fairly quickly...and they didnt put my premiums up...its LV...and cos of that i stayed with them for George...
It may be worth a confo with the insurance to see where the situation lies
hope this helps
DM x

Posted Via The DaciaForum.co.uk App

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Little update...

The insurance approved garage will be picking the car up in a couple of weeks time.

Little bit annoyed with a few things:

1. They're taking 2 weeks to come get the car

2. The insurance company would make us pay extra to have Dacia/Renault do the work

3. The courtesy car is going to be a "very basic small 1.0L car like a Jazz, Corsa or Micra" (words used to describe it to me over the phone)

4. The Dacia is going to be driven 20+ miles by the insurance person to the bodyshop

5. The bodyshop won't use genuine Dacia/Renault parts

6. On closer inspection, the front quarter panel has also been bent and the paint is chipping off, the sill/rocker panel is also dented and has deep scratches... I really hope the door gaps line up properly after the body shop beats the dents out. The guy on the phone said that 90% of the time they repair panels, not replace; which is fine by me if everything lines up and there's no overspray from the painting.

I hate dealing with insurance companies. Anyone else see the documentary where they showed the shoddy work done by bodyshops doing insurance repair work? I can't remember what it was called but they secretly filmed the repairs and found that they were using substandard and unsafe parts. The technicians were being required to do cowboy improvisations to get them to fit etc.

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
Make sure you go over it with a fine tooth comb when it comes back and REJECT immediately if it is not 100%, check for over spray and make sure they have reskinned the door not just pulled and fillered!

ps front facing dash camera would have caught the cockwomble carrying on up the road in the direction he was obviously going.

Also worth keeping an eye on youtube, just incase said cockwomble had a lid cam and posts a video trying to blame your mum, seen this happen before.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Since you have to pay the excess and your obviously going to lose your no claim's- have you considered it might be cheaper to just pay your local body shop to fix it' hate to say it but cant help myself do the maths

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Rog

See those broken white lines in the picture' to car drivers they mean you have to stop ideally just behind them. As a motorcyclist you probably didn't realise this but ask any one (expect taxi drivers) and they will confirm its true.

·
Registered
985 Posts
They're give way lines.."Give Way to traffic on the major route" They are NOT stop lines which are solid. There is no "ideally" with regard to traffic signs and markings. You stop before them, not on or just after them.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I don't think the lines on the junction are really the issue, yes it would appear that a little corner cutting has occurred but I don't believe that blame can be laid anywhere but with the biker.

Before anyone claims I'm anti biker I ride a Busa.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I used to work in the bodyshop trade and would like to point out a couple of things

firstly insurance companies cannot make you use their approved repairer, you are at liberty to use whomever you wish, the loss adjuster will still go out and see the car and agree costs, just the same as they will with the improved repairer

insurance companies DO NOT pay for courtesy cars, the bodyshop does, they do not get any assistance to meet this extra cost either, that is why you get small cars, I used to run a fleet of around 125-150 courtesy cars, it's incredibly expensive, even with small cars to lend

if you are unhappy with them driving your car, just take it yourself

the insurance company are obliged to return you car to pre-accident condition so you can reject non-oem parts, quite where they expect to get pattern parts for this model though........

if you are concerned about the quality of work, speak to the bodyshop detailing your concerns, most are very accommodating

bodyshops run on incredibly small margins, any vehicle coming back costs in rectification and also the cost of loss from no being able to repair another car when rectifying yours, whilst anybody can make mistakes all bodyshops trade on a reputation and to survive have to do good work

best thing to do is have a good chat with them and politely point out you won't take any substandard work, whilst the repair is traumatic for you this is a minor repair for any bodyshop so I would not expect problems

good luck

:)

·
miserable old git
848 Posts
was the motorcycle going in the same direction therefore overtaking your mum or was it coming out of the side road?

·
miserable old git
848 Posts
two scenarios:

The rider was on the main road travelling in the same direction as the Logan. The rider was overtaking on the approach to the junction. The Logan turned right and the rider collided with the side of the Logan.

alternatively

The rider was exiting the side road when the Logan turned across their path. The rider collides with the side of the Logan.

I, like Skip, ride (got a GSXR1000L0 and a GSXR750K9) and would NEVER overtake on the approach to a junction because people turn into junctions.

·
miserable old git
848 Posts
I've been at a Magistrates Court listening to an identical incident where the motorcyclist was up for 'without due care and attention'. The riders defence successfully argued that there was some responsibility on the driver to check their mirrors before turning and therefore had this occurred the driver would have seen the bike and not turned. The magistrates accepted this and did not convict the rider.

One to bear in mind!

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I'd guess the rider was at fault like Dizplay posted, why else would the rider scarper if it was the drivers fault?
The only person claiming is the car driver, I wouldn't worry about the coward on the bike, unless of course he feared display's mum was going to kick him down the street with full force.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts