UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Have you ever wanted to chat to your car, or is it just me going mad. I know some of you will already know about this but some might not so here goes. This could also save you a fortune in the future.

Well believe it or not you can talk to your car through your ECU with the OBDII (On Board Diagnostic System) and find out exactly how your car is feeling, get to the bottom of any problems and check any warning lights on the dash and find out what the fault codes mean. You can also do accurate Fuel logs with GPS as well - cool.

This is the same system that garages use to establish any faults with your car by checking for fault codes. However their diagnostic systems cost thousands. However I will show you what you need to do it yourself for well under £15

This will allow to you confirm what dealers/garages are telling you and also allow you to have a look online for a cheaper solution, or like me just like to be a techno geek.

I purchased one of these for my Mondeo TDCI a couple of years ago from ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bluetooth-Android-Torque-Car-V1-5-ELM327 , this one is exactly that same as mine and fits all OBDII ports.

You will then need the Torque Pro App for your smartphone from the google store or App store. I use the Android one and have done for some time without any issue. This is just a couple of quid and again it is not make specific so you can use the App and the Interface for any other car that you have.

They support most cars and vans from 2004 onwards that have the OBDII ELM327 Interface.

On the duster you will find the OBD port at the back of the glove box. Please excuse the mess its the cleaners day off :)

Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle Bumper Car

Then take your Bluetooth unit

Sleeve Automotive design Audio equipment Gadget Musical instrument accessory

And plug it in

Hood Automotive exterior Fixture Motor vehicle Car

Once plugged in and ignition turned on you can pair the device to your phone through your bluetooth setting (make sure the phone is discoverable) you might need a passcode but this will come up on. The default for this unit is 1234, you can also pair it via the Torque Pro App and this seems to work better on some phones than other, but a couple minutes of fiddling will have you sorted.

Now you can open your Torque Pro App and thats where the magic happens when you turn the ignition key and you are now talking to your car.

This is the Menu Screen from the App

Light Font Gauge Speedometer Line

These are all the other screens that you can play with, I didnt put a pic of the fault code screen as my Dusters doesn't have any Faults yay! (Yet). :D You can change MPH, MPG or KPH in the settings menu with ease.

Light Product Font Terrestrial plant Circle

I tried exactly the same set up the other night on my Duster and it worked like a dream. Its a great little toy and possibly the best tool you will ever have. Enjoy ;)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,832 Posts
I bought one of these dongles off eBay a few weeks ago and they recommended a free app to use with it and I've never been able to get it to work. My phone and tablet with pair with it, but the app just says it can't find the OBD device.

So having seen this post I just had another go, still didn't work, so I downloaded the free version of the app above (Torque Lite), and it now works a treat. I'll get the paid version too (Torque Pro).

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
£15. Awesome. I'm away to smash my piggy bank, I've always fancied one of these but they were a hell of a lot more expensive last time I checked. Good find and a nice wee write up to boot :)

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
Thanks duster_4x4, great read and just what I need, though not for the Duster. I have a diesel CRV that has an engine light keep coming on randomly but each time I've taken it to Honda it goes before I reach them and they tell me nothing is showing as far as codes are concerned. This may be just the ticket.

Does anyone happen to know if they will link to an Apple product iPad or iPhone?

·
Sandero Forum Moderator
319 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Blimey didn't think this feed would be that popular.

Um ok QA time.

I use the Pro version of Torque (paid for) there is a free version but for the sake of a couple of quid the paid for app is far better and mine paired first time no issues and connects every time I use it.

The ebay link is the same OBD dongle that I have

To be honest whilst in the warranty period PLEASE DO NOT RESET ANY FAULT codes as this may cause you problems and could invalidate your warranty.

The dongle does come with additional software but I have never used it as I just use the Torque App on my phone

The Torque App is available for both Apple and Android

Pairing can be a pain the first time that you do it but I paired the device to my phone with the engine running and then open the App and it finds the dongle without you having to do anything else.

Its a great set up.

Um I think that's all the questions answered. Enjoy. I love mine ;)

My neighbours must wander what the hell I am doing sometimes when I'm just sat in the drive playing with my Dongle :D :lol: :D

Reactions: farabloo

·
Premium Member
2,832 Posts
I've been having fun with this today.

I also downloaded another app from the same author that logs people's wi-fi, found 208 on a 2 mile trip. I feel like a google spy!

Is it OK to leave the dongle plugged in all the time? Its powered with the ignition off.

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
I'm waiting now for all the posts in the future when many of the Dusterites have installed these "my water temp is 0.2374 degrees different ..... have I got a problem", or something similar :lol:

Reactions: eddie b and Troute

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've been having fun with this today.

I also downloaded another app from the same author that logs people's wi-fi, found 208 on a 2 mile trip. I feel like a google spy!

Is it OK to leave the dongle plugged in all the time?
I don't think it would be an issue leaving it plugged in as is designed as a data logger and that's why it has the GPS feature built in too. The only thing I would be carful of would be damaging the port with things knocking against it in the glove box other wise it should be fine but I would take it out when not using the car.

Reactions: Stuart

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm waiting now for all the posts in the future when many of the Dusterites have installed these "my water temp is 0.2374 degrees different ..... have I got a problem", or something similar :lol:
mmmm, perhaps I should have put a disclaimer at the start :wacko:

I cannot be held responsible for any state of paranoia that should occur when you purchase this device. Similarly I cannot be held responsible for boring the hell out of your friends, "Oh would you like to see my dongle, it logs all my car data as I drive" zzzzzzzzzzzzz -_-

Reactions: R-head

·
Sandero Forum Moderator
319 Posts
I don't think it would be an issue leaving it plugged in as is designed as a data logger and that's why it has the GPS feature built in too. The only thing I would be carful of would be damaging the port with things knocking against it in the glove box other wise it should be fine but I would take it out when not using the car.
The one I linked to on ebay is very small in comparison so it is ok left connected in the glove box mine has been there for arround 3000 miles or so and the app came in very usefull on a recent trip to france when got stuck in a 10 mile tailback to check the engine coolant temperature (The sandero believe it or not does not have a temp gauge on the dash).

$(KGrHqV,!lMFE)37d5v2BRf!m9t28Q~~60_12.J

Also check out the plugins for the torque pro app the racing dash plugin is rather nice (digital speedo bar graph rev counter gear indicator etc etc).

View attachment unnamedCAYXXE27.bmp

View attachment unnamedCASMRZD2.bmp

just a couple of examples (even allows for mirroring for a heads up type display if you can get a transparrent reflective screen or something like.

Find that they work better on a tablet tho is excellent on my nexus7.

and agree about resetting fault codes whilst in warranty DON'T DO IT LET THE DEALER HANDLE IT!!!!!!!! oh and don't forget to remove it before the car goes for any kind of dealer work.

Attachments

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The GPS is in your phone, it wouldn't work in the glove box!
Sorry I should have been more precise. Yes the GPS on the phone as used by the Torque Pro App. :rolleyes: :D

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ah but mine has flashing lights on it, four of them that blink. When I sit in my drive I can see them blinking on my dongle :ph34r:

·
Registered
182 Posts
now look what you've done!i've gone and ordered one!.....................and four alpine speakers!!.........and connectors!!!.....................jam sandwiches for the rest of the month!!!!.............................sorry kids!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
now look what you've done!i've gone and ordered one!.....................and four alpine speakers!!.........and connectors!!!.....................jam sandwiches for the rest of the month!!!!.............................sorry kids!!!!!!!!
Yum, Jam sandwiches and you can now eat your jammy sarnies whilst sat in the drive listening to your stereo with a great sound whilst being amazed at looking at your App and what your car is telling you.

Enjoy ;)

Reactions: Dougal1957
1 - 20 of 109 Posts