UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well due to being a little bored earlier my buddy and I decided to do a little investigation, we were wondering what effect the ECO really has.

So after finding the ODB port in the back of the glove box we plugged in my Bluetooth dongle and fired up Torque Pro on my tablet, after getting all paired and talking with the ECU we went for a short drive.

After getting to operating temperature, which is 84°c according to Torque and it does take some time to get there, this engine's thermal efficiency must be good.

After a short discussion we agreed that the expected boost pressure with ECO off would be approximately 1 Bar, which is 14.5 Psi. Our control run was carried out in 3rd gear, full throttle from 2000 to 6000Rpm, the result was almost exactly as expected with 14 Psi of boost. We repeated the test a couple of times with identical results.

With the ECO mode on we could not use full throttle as doing so overrides the ECO mode momentarily, so we tried to use as much as possible without accidentally going WOT.

This time we got 5 Psi of boost, with that confirmed a quick stab of the pedal revealed that it does as expected override ECO mode and boost immediately shot straight to 14 Psi.

I cannot say if Eco mode has any other effects but we now know it limits boost.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Well due to being a little bored earlier my buddy and I decided to do a little investigation, we were wondering what effect the ECO really has.

So after finding the ODB port in the back of the glove box we plugged in my Bluetooth dongle and fired up Torque Pro on my tablet, after getting all paired and talking with the ECU we went for a short drive.

After getting to operating temperature, which is 84°c according to Torque and it does take some time to get there, this engine's thermal efficiency must be good.

After a short discussion we agreed that the expected boost pressure with ECO off would be approximately 1 Bar, which is 14.5 Psi. Our control run was carried out in 3rd gear, full throttle from 2000 to 6000Rpm, the result was almost exactly as expected with 14 Psi of boost. We repeated the test a couple of times with identical results.

With the ECO mode on we could not use full throttle as doing so overrides the ECO mode momentarily, so we tried to use as much as possible without accidentally going WOT.

This time we got 5 Psi of boost, with that confirmed a quick stab of the pedal revealed that it does as expected override ECO mode and boost immediately shot straight to 14 Psi.

I cannot say if Eco mode has any other effects but we now know it limits boost.
I found eco a bore and it does nothing but hinder mpg on the TCE, well on my journeys anyway, limiting boost is limiting the best part of the engine.
Can see it having advantages in heavy traffic when you don't need boost or on icy days, with the overhang at the rear I know nose weight will be a problem for the front wheels, there's a junction at the top of our road that's raised, it doesn't like that one when it's wet, god help me when it's covered in ice or snow ❄ ;-)

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My bike has a 3 stage power limiting device, but it always starts up in full power mode and im sure it'd be great to use that facility if I ever remembered it was there at that moment.

The Logan has been invaluable over the holidays, carting around two young kids and associated paraphernalia. Couldn't want for more.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
My bike has a 3 stage power limiting device, but it always starts up in full power mode and im sure it'd be great to use that facility if I ever remembered it was there at that moment.

The Logan has been invaluable over the holidays, carting around two young kids and associated paraphernalia. Couldn't want for more.
very true, mines been resting over the holidays, the wife prefers the 'rustic' c max, she finds the logan a bit wobbly or bouncy, think the tyres could do with some air, although shes been getting shipped around in a BMW 4x4 for the last few weeks before Christmas so it could be she's turned into a snob.
Power limiting device on a bike would be a good idea especially in the winter months, I can imagine it's playing with fire most (proper) winter days.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
very true, mines been resting over the holidays, the wife prefers the 'rustic' c max, she finds the logan a bit wobbly or bouncy, think the tyres could do with some air, although shes been getting shipped around in a BMW 4x4 for the last few weeks before Christmas so it could be she's turned into a snob.
Power limiting device on a bike would be a good idea especially in the winter months, I can imagine it's playing with fire most (proper) winter days.
I'm lucky, my wife is equally impressed with the logan, the plan is to replace her current car with a Stepway in due course.

With a power to weight ratio of 800bhp per ton it's certainly interesting on occasion, but when favourable conditions prevail nothing comes close in a straight line :)

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I'm lucky, my wife is equally impressed with the logan, the plan is to replace her current car with a Stepway in due course.

With a power to weight ratio of 800bhp per ton it's certainly interesting on occasion, but when favourable conditions prevail nothing comes close in a straight line :)
nice, I was considering a sandero for her, but my dad's pretty ill at the minute and we've struggled with only having the 2 5 seaters, we're looking at 7 seaters but reliability is an issue, and also finding a petrol one that's not too slow.
We obviously need the boot, the lip in the Stepway/ sandero put her off, she was very interested in the duster, but with the issues and the salesman not being too keen on selling us one put us off, he also made out that the price was higher than it should have been.
If we had been told the real price we may have gone for a duster, after seeing one, my wife on boot space alone decided on the logan, not much in the boot between the logan and duster I don't think.
Haha bet you yeeeeehaaaaaaaawwww all the time on the bike.... Or possibly whoooohoooohoooohoooooo.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
it's funny, the lip in the boot also put us off the Stepway and Sandero because at the time the wife was going to have the Logan but as it's turned out I've got it and it would've be less of an issue.

My friend has a Duster access, and having had a good snout round plus a drive I'm impressed but we like our petrols and with all but the access it's diesel or nothing, so stepway it is as she likes the higher driving position.

I will be keeping an eye on the Duster engine options because in other countries I believe that the 1.2Tce is available.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As for the bike, opportunities to Plad are remarkably rare due to the amount of ground it is possible to cover in such a small space of time.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
it's funny, the lip in the boot also put us off the Stepway and Sandero because at the time the wife was going to have the Logan but as it's turned out I've got it and it would've be less of an issue.

My friend has a Duster access, and having had a good snout round plus a drive I'm impressed but we like our petrols and with all but the access it's diesel or nothing, so stepway it is as she likes the higher driving position.

I will be keeping an eye on the Duster engine options because in other countries I believe that the 1.2Tce is available.
Yes think the 1.2 is, she was more worried about damaging the exposed part with the Phil and teds explorer pushchair we've got.
Don't get me wrong I've usually gone for diesel in the past, but the past set of petrol cars we've had have been more reliable in engine dept, it's done a u turn where I've found diesels the more fussy engines, for me they haven't been as bullet proof as the 1.9 hdi engines of the past so I'll stick to my petrol choice for now.
I'd have no worries with the petrol duster, our c max is 1.6 and shifts that fine, and it's a relatively weak 1.6 by today's standards as it's from 2006, I'm sure the Duster's is a more powerful engine.
Ha I suppose moving so fast you have more of those 'i don't remember driving/riding down that road on my journey like I do sometimes :-D

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry to have to say the 1.6 in the duster is an old unit from the last generation of megane, only the megane had vvt and to the best of my knowledge the duster does not. That said the engine suits the duster nicely, and performs very well IMHO.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Sorry to have to say the 1.6 in the duster is an old unit from the last generation of megane, only the megane had vvt and to the best of my knowledge the duster does not. That said the engine suits the duster nicely, and performs very well IMHO.
vvt isn't all its cracked up to be, they altered the pixos engine mid life (think it lasted 3 years!!) and I got one as a courtesy car, the power was delayed, and it seemed to judder at 30mph, I think old style means higher reliability (to me anyway) all the manufacturers trying to squeeze oodles of power from small engines can't be good for reliability in the long run.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Said friend who just got his new duster 1.6 part exchanged his old megane that did have a 1.6vvt. Every cold start the dephaser pulley rattled and clattered like it was about to let go. Another thing thats noteworthy is the gear ratios compare better on the duster. At motorway speeds the megane would rev very hard, probably to make it feel punchy, to me it just made it harsh and noisy.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Said friend who just got his new duster 1.6 part exchanged his old megane that did have a 1.6vvt. Every cold start the dephaser pulley rattled and clattered like it was about to let go. Another thing thats noteworthy is the gear ratios compare better on the duster. At motorway speeds the megane would rev very hard, probably to make it feel punchy, to me it just made it harsh and noisy.
the 1.6 will appeal to people who just want 'a normal engine' some don't want any fuss and just something that works... Fortunately for me, everything feels fast after all the slow accelerating trucks at work (although the newer ones are getting more spritely) so even the pixo felt pretty nippy to me with just 68hp, and it just worked fine.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
To be honest the whole Dacia thing just works for me. As far as cars go I've had a go at most of it, big v8s etc. Now I'm having to grow up and put the kids first.

The bike is for kicks while I can justify keeping it, the car has to be spacious, reliable, comfortable and economical. Thats about it, don't care to much about the badge.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
To be fair alot of that applies to my reasoning, you can't get much more brand new car for under 10 thousand, now consider what the next best thing costs, put that into the savings, add it to the mpg and.... I've got a sore head trying to think about it :-D
I'm sure it's nearest is the fabia estate,

1 - 17 of 17 Posts