UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, if any of you take your Dusters off road I'd like to hear your experiences.

How did it compare to any off-road experience you may have had in other, more 'established' off-roaders?

Would you recommend the car for off-roading on a regular basis?

What modifications (if any) did you make to take your Duster off road?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hello, if any of you take your Dusters off road I'd like to hear your experiences.

How did it compare to any off-road experience you may have had in other, more 'established' off-roaders?

Would you recommend the car for off-roading on a regular basis?

What modifications (if any) did you make to take your Duster off road?
Most Dusters are off the road for weeks at a time due to a lack of parts or Rust issues, 15.5 weeks is the record for rust so far. Any other questions?

·
Premium Member
1,199 Posts
Not quite the answer he was looking for! At the moment no, I'm not aware of anyone actually going properly offroad. At two industry event days I've attended, Dacia themselves won't let you go off road either. strange.

Please excuse my brevity, sent from my Sony Xperia

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
Oh Bang, I thought it was oh so funny too ..... did you have the same problem as me, laughed so much my rib nearly popped out and I wet myself too, well just a dribble to be honest; bet you did as well :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
i sense a lot of man-love between "sandero is rusting" and "bang".......... keeping it fresh B)
Now keeping it fresh, Bang and myself are trying to prevent good people from spending their hard earned cash on a rust machine, introducing a sense of humour is fresh compared to some of the members posts about how great these cars are, or not in our opinion.

Bang I think is a good guy. Honest to the point, I wish I had read his points before I lost money on a crap car. Dacia should be ashamed big time or wear a mask :ph34r:

·
Registered
29 Posts
I feel the love Sandero

Posted Via The DaciaForum.co.uk App
Nice one Bang, as for photos of rust, on front of car, dealer said stone chips, I didn't take photos just my credit card and traded the car in, more to do with dealers attitude, as in cheap car what do you expect? So decided to bail.

If you love your car then that's great. As far as your opinion on Dacia, you will be responsible for the guy on the street buying and regretting it. The word is out, look at honest john and owner reviews. Wish I had waited.

You do the maths we will feel the Love.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Well back to the original question: I haven't taken my 4x4 Duster through deep mud, snow or sand but I do use it daily to climb an unpaved hill that is too steep for 2wd. I find that that low first gear is a little lower than the second gear, low range (but not quite as low as first) on a traditional 4x4 with transfer case. I am comparing it to the Nissan Frontier 4x4 pickup that I sold to buy the Duster. What I would be curious to learn from anyone who has used the Duster in deep mud for example is if they've noted much difference between the "Auto" setting vs "4wd" setting. I say this because it is my impression so far that in "Auto" mode the system perceives slippage at the front axel almost instantly and engages the rear axel to put you in "4wd". For example climbing my steep hill I note no difference in traction whatsoever between the two modes.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I went off road last week. We did it to test the Duster 4x4 (Ambiance) against a Range Rover Discovery. Neither have been modified in any way, both have roughly the same tyre type, for off road and on road use. The Dacia held its own in every respect, I was able to follow the Discovery anywhere it went, without a hiccup. The diff was left in auto for the most part, but locked on the most difficult parts,. A series of ruts caused the Dacia to bounce up off the back wheels (bit too much throttle), but it gripped and drove on regardless. Better still not a scratch or flake off the custom sprayed wheels.

Reactions: ionutzzz

·
Registered
5 Posts
Been driving my 4x4 laurette around a muddy & rutted field helping pull out cars for the past couple if days, been keeping up with the disco's, did have trouble pulling one disco out of a ditch though - was way to light ( & didnt really push it too much as still got to drive home!)

Attachments

·
Registered
220 Posts
You are wise not tp push it. The Duster is a light car for one and two is not designed to pull anybody out of rough situations except its self. Let the "Discos" pull each other out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Lol, only did it for the photo op & to rub it in!!!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Thought I'd bring an old thread back to life since I did some off roading in it today.

Only two complaints really the first is you have to use the clutch, I drove a defender in the lakes a few months ago and when crawling up hill even going 1mph you didn't have to touch the clutch when in low range and only had to press the accelerator a tiny bit. When going up a very steep section my foot was flat to the floor but I lost speed and nearly stalled so I had to use the clutch to the revs were higher and had more power and torques.

The second problem is the articulation of the suspension, the wheels were often off the floor, having said that though the car still had enough traction to move.

I got myself into tricky situations and put it into 2wd to see whether I actually needed 4wd and it didn't move an inch, putting it then into 4wd lock and it moved off fairly easily.

If anyone else is interested in going off roading in the Yorkshire area then get in contact would love to have a back up!

·
Registered
87 Posts
I hope it is okay to post a few photos in this thread, showing me and my Duster going offroad. This was in this year's April at an enduro and motocross track during a Dacia Duster meeting in northern Germany. Weather was good, track was dry.

I went over this track in all three modes, only 2WD needed a tad more ooomph on the pedal, causing to touch ground here and there. This was before I had my Duster equipped with the new shock absorbers giving me a 30mm-plus on ground clearance.

3836356665653235.jpg

6561633335356235.jpg

6362363132383261.jpg

3933363761623632.jpg

3633303163306664.jpg

Photos were taken from other Dusteriacs attending that meeting.

Happy watching ~ Daytona!

·
Registered
87 Posts
As promised somewhere in this forum, here are three videos from that meeting at the military training area:

I had to avoid the larger puddles since I saw bigger vehicles like a Humvee or a large MAN Kat 5 truck stuck in them that day ...

Happy watching ~ Daytona!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts