UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
I drove down to my dealer to test drive a RHD Laureate 4x4 model today and to get a valuation on my current Audi TT I might be trading in. The valuation I got was only £300 more than the price I got on-line from "We Buy Any Car" so I'll be trying to sell the Audi privately first!

Never mind, I was very impressed with the Duster. There appears to be one or two changes from the LHD model I drove previously - I'm happy to report they've substituted the 'Mickey Mouse' rear load cover for a new rigid type. The new dash looks good - black or dark grey with contrasting light grey. The model I test drove had the revering sensors (as I've specified on the car I've ordered as part of the 'Protection Pack') and it includes a neat little read out showing the distance or length 'before you hit' in addition to audible beeps. The model I drove was fitted with Continental tyres. There was also a blue Laureate in the show room and I must say the blue looks really nice in the flesh (wish I'd ordered the blue instead of white now!). I took a few photographs:

Graham

·
Registered
96 Posts
Is the object above the rear view mirror the distance readout and do you know what scale it was. I assume it will be metric but I am old enough to work in feet and inches.

I have also ordered this option as well, so I am obviously interested.

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, distance read out. To be honest I just noticed it at the end of my test drive as I was reverse parking, and took a quick photo. I think it's metric but I'm not certain.

Graham

·
Premium Member
1,199 Posts
Thanks for the photos Graham, certainly helps when picturing things. The readout will be in metric for sure, I can't see ever seen one in imperial? Any issues on the test drive?

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
Hi Nick,

No issues - very pleased. Nice smooth drive. The car had only done 500 miles so a was being kind to it. The reversing sensors work well making parking easy and the read-out was a nice surprise. Actually there is one issue! - looking at my pictures the rear wheels appear to have drum brakes! I'm sure the spec. should be disc brakes all round?!

A couple more pictures:

Graham

·
Premium Member
1,199 Posts
Continental Cross Contact LX tyres:

The CrossContact LX is Continental Tyre's premium Highway All-Season tyre engineered to help sport utility vehicles and light duty pickup trucks for motorway use, as well as in light off-road conditions. The CrossContact LX was developed for comfort and resistance to hydroplaning with enhanced driving characteristics with traction in year-round conditions, even in light snow.
Features
  • Asymmetric tread design effectively blends traction and handling.
  • Precise steering response and straight road tracking.
  • On road tread design, can be used for light off road.
  • Offers good economy with a smooth ride.
  • Low risk of aquaplaning and better wet grip.

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just checked the website - should definitely have front and rear disc brakes. The car I drove today is perhaps a demonstrator only, but you would think the demonstrator would be the same as the cars that are actually being sold?!

Graham

·
Registered
324 Posts
I had my test drive of a RHD deisel ambience 4x2 today.

Having read some reviewers (the negative ones) I must have been driving some well crap cars in the past

It was comfortable, far pokier than I was expecting (and more than enough for my needs) and I have no idea as to what body roll peole are talking about and I also thought the turning circle ws more than adequate.

Great car.

Naturally no delvery date.

·
Premium Member
1,199 Posts
The website is rather inaccurate I think, the brochure states drum brakes at the rear for all models.

·
Registered
95 Posts
yes thay all have drums on the rear, 9 inch to be precise. it is in the july 2012 sales leaflet . in the tecnical data from dacia uk it states , front discs DV280 and rear discs TA203 i brought this up when i ordered my car , but was informed all cars would be drums des

·
Registered
96 Posts
The last photo of the wheel also shows a locking wheel nut.

I would have expected this but at least the photo confirms it.

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The static Left Hand Drive model that I last saw in the dealer's showroom and rear discs. I'm feeling short changed!

Graham

·
Formally "2Dusterschris"
363 Posts
The static Left Hand Drive model that I last saw in the dealer's showroom and rear discs. I'm feeling short changed!

Graham
I'm delighted that the Duster has rear drums! I've had two Fiat Panda 4x4s with rear discs and they caused endless problems. The pads regularly seized within the calipers, were very noisy as a result and the discs corroded long before they wore out. The brakes on the Duster work exceptionally well in my experience.

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm delighted that the Duster has rear drums! I've had two Fiat Panda 4x4s with rear discs and they caused endless problems. The pads regularly seized within the calipers, were very noisy as a result and the discs corroded long before they wore out. The brakes on the Duster work exceptionally well in my experience.
I suppose I was just thinking the disc brakes look better. They no doubt perform better, but right enough, from a maintenance and cost point of view rear drum brakes are surely better and in keeping with the simplicity of the Duster.

Graham

·
Registered
47 Posts
Weird seeing them in Right Hand drive. It's been a long time waiting!!

Thanks for the pics!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Mine has rear drums which, although expected, was still a dissappointment on a modern car. I may whip them off at some point and paint them black for aesthetic purposes.

Definitely no locking wheel nuts on my alloys. Probably not necessary in Greece but I would definitely have them in the UK.

Much prefer the new dash.

My PDC was fitted at the dealer so did not come with the digital readout inside the car. PDC was not an option in Greece.

What ICE are you guys seeing in the Laureate. Mine came with USB port on front panel and bluetooth.

·
Registered
95 Posts
You know how to make a person sick, I was going for the blue but was put of buying , the four different prints that i saw we're all different shades , none of which I liked .
But I do love the blue. Any way I then went for the grey!!!!!!!!!! Of which I have never seen any prints.
So it would be nice if any fellows out there have photo of the grey to ether make me happy or real sick.
Des

·
Registered
324 Posts
I am colour blind but I am pretty sure that I am green with envy, lol.

Congrats. Looks like a great motor!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts