UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I meant true enough, it wasn't really a review as such. As for the content how is this racist: "This brand, unfamiliar here, is the proud automotive symbol of the resurgent Romania, named after a "lost tribe" that settled there 2,000 years ago. Some of the modern descendants of the tribe have come to Britain for work, and they can be easily detected because when they spot a Dacia they point, and some take pictures of it.

These are chaps in what I would call working clothes, and not obviously tourists. There aren't that many of them, truth be told, and, as it happens, I am entirely in favour of unrestricted Eastern European immigration, on economic grounds. You see, not all motoring journalists are reactionaries." Sounds quite supportive to me.

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
Here, here Geraint....

This form of racism is not acceptable, and as you say deeply offensive, and embarrassing to read.

DM

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
read the whole article again as an empathy exercise, with you being Romanian, as indeed some of our members are. if you can't see the problem after that then i suggest you get someone to proof read all your future posts
Done that, still don't get what you're seeing so I'll ask again, which specific part of the article is in your opinion racist?

·
Super Moderator
2,832 Posts
I would paraphrase the article like this -

Some politicians and the feral press (i.e. The reactionary right wing tabloids) are claiming that there are hordes of Romanian economic migrants coming here stealing our jobs and our children, but really there aren't that many Romanians here, and I am in favour of unrestrained Eastern European Migration on economic grounds.

Dacia is named after a so called "lost tribe" of people who settled in Romania 2000 years ago.

If these politicians and press want to find these supposed hoards of Romanian migrants they could just look for people who don't dress like tourists pointing at Dacias, because the Logan is quite an unremarkable looking, but large, estate car and wouldn't attract much attention from others than the countrymen of the people who made them. They haven't give it a pretentious name like sportbrake, they call it an MCV.

On the car I tested the passenger seat squeaked and the rear wiper didn't work. That appalling salesman guy character from The Office, (the actor who played him does the voice-over on the Logan adverts|), would have something choice to say about it if they replaced his BMW with a Logan.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Hmmmmm....having read the article, it seems to be RIDICULING a racist position, rather than perpetuating one. It's called satire - perhaps a comparison with the recent libel case of Frankie Boyle vs the Daily Mirror would be relevant.

The words 'mountain' and 'molehill' spring to mind here. But as someone has already stated above, surely the 'acid-test' would be to find out the consenus of opinion among Romanian people themelves, rather than putting words into their mouths, British PC-style...

Oh, and for what it's worth, I agree that, as a review, it doesn't tell us much at all about the actual car.

·
Premium Member
1,199 Posts
Guys - you're better off complaining to the Independent, you're wasting your breath here arguing about it. Ayrshiretiger didn't write the review, just posted it.

·
amazing, just amazing!
2,926 Posts
I think the review was badly written, the author was trying to be 'clever' alluding to the UK govs attempts to persuade illegal immigrants to go away but failed because he wasn't very clear about it. It isn't racist just very poor journalism, his cleverness didn't come off, the review has very little useful info about the car that's supposed to be the subject and the references to Finchy failed utterly with me because I never watched The Office and had no idea who the character was. I think Sean O'Grady has possibly been watching too many Top Gear repeats on Dave.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
I see that the my post is missing from both threds

I find it offensive to us all cos is suposed to be a review about the car not a political satire

Like others has said is poor journalism. I'm not mad at the poster even thou he finds the article funny.
I didn't but not because of the so called racism rather that the lack of the review it self badly game of words choosed and the writer probably justifying his sallary

That what I was asking ....may I ask where is the review...

Those had being said let's move on

Mountain Green is the Springest Color

·
Premium Member
1,199 Posts
Must have got lost in the split. Post it again if you want. There is no censorship here, but when things kick off and tempers raise, action needs to be taken.

Please excuse my brevity, sent from my Sony Xperia

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
Must have got lost in the split. Post it again if you want. There is no censorship here, but when things kick off and tempers raise, action needs to be taken.

Please excuse my brevity, sent from my Sony Xperia
its ok i just did above

....the lost post was ...

,,.............and where is the review, may i ask,,

every basket has bad apples........ ;)

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
so anybody understands

after the review link was posted

i said .....and where is the review, may i ask,, because there wasn't a talk about the car actually

ayrshiretiger

said

,,true enough,,

so no harm done on his account imo

topic to be closed imho

its too good of a forum to let it become a battlefield for other topics then dacia cars

·
Duster Forum Moderator
1,117 Posts
I think it was me that deleted it Antavi, I hid all the other posts except for the actual article but most have deleted your post as well in error. I apologise.

Reactions: antavi
1 - 20 of 26 Posts