UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a time team special i was watching on the British great tzunami 600bc they commented on Rumania.

The lush lowlands were occupied by a tribe called the Dacias pronounced "Dasha". well as fate would have it along came the Romans and wiped them out so as to take the lands for themselves which they duely did and named it ROME...ania.

well i never, ill sleep better tonight knowing that.

Oh and by the way, the tzunami was huge infact so big it pretty much made sure in the long run that the UK became an island.

·
Super Moderator
2,832 Posts
I thought Britain became an island when the ice melted at the end of the last ice age. Not only did sea levels rise but the land rose up because the weight of the ice had been holding it down. That's why there are ancient raised beaches on Scottish coasts high above sea level and petrified forests under the North Sea.

·
Banned
1,098 Posts
I thought Britain became an island when the ice melted at the end of the last ice age. Not only did sea levels rise but the land rose up because the weight of the ice had been holding it down. That's why there are ancient raised beaches on Scottish coasts high above sea level and petrified forests under the North Sea.
ah but...... the 2 moles thick ice, melted and we got seas again :)

Granity Gray is brilliest ;)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes that came after, the seas steadily rose to ensure that the lower land was finally engulfed but the Tzunami did not help much either lol..

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
I've tuned in to the discovery channel this is great

Reactions: Troute

·
Registered
535 Posts
The Romans wanted Dacia for the gold mines in the Carpatians. The Dacians where also a threat for them because they where a strong nation, ''the most brave and fair among the Thracians'' as Herodot said. But the Romans respected the Dacians. On a lot of the Roman monuments there are carvings and statues of Dacian nobles. Some examples: first is a statue of a Tarabostes (Dacian noble) from the Arch of Constantine, in Rome and the second one is a huge statue of a Tarabostes which is exposed in the Italian National Museum.

dac1.jpg dac2.jpg

Some said that they where related nations and that Rome was founded by some Dacian settlers descendents and some said that even the Latin language had roots in the Dacian language which was said that it was similar to the vulgar Latin because a Dacian could communicate with a Roman without learning latin, but some denied this. Some said that the Romans erased them from history not wanting that their origin being found out because there are little to none palpable and detailed informations about the Dacian Language and Dacian people. The Dacians assimilated even some Celtic and Germanic tribes so you can say they may have been related to the British also. :lol:

I can recommend you an historical movie about the wars between the Romans and the Dacians.

Part one:

Part two:

Activate the captions and select the English subtitles.

Think I'll stop here with the history lesson. :lol:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts