UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

I have been absolutely delighted with my Duster Access 4X2 since I bought it in May but due to a change in circumstances I am now considering selling the car.

While previously I was employed by a company which paid for all the petrol I used getting to and from work, I will now be working as an independent contractor and driving a large mileage at my own expense. So a diesel beckons - probably a Logan MCV.

Looking on the car price guides - and Ebay - I have not been able to get any information as to what the car is likely to be worth. There are virtually none on the market.

Details as follows:

Standard Duster Access 4X2 in white, bought in May 2013 from Westover Dacia Poole, present mileage 8,500.

Fitted with:

Dacia interior mats, fitted from new

Alpine UTE-72BT Bluetooth Stereo with full Ipod control, hands-free phone control etc.

High quality Focal speakers (front only)

Professionally fitted Witter towbar and electrics

Chrome door handle covers

Reversing sensors

Boot liner fitted from new

Jack, wheelbrace and space saver spare wheel (NOT Dacia original items)

The car has been totally reliable and is in virtually as new condition. I have always used Shell petrol, no supermarket rubbish.

I'm thinking of putting it on Ebay, but am not sure where to pitch the starting price and reserve.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
182 Posts
l would have thought in the first place to go back to your dealer and see what kind of a part-ex they'd offer you,at least their in the trade and it'll give you a reference point to start from.

out of interest there is a laurete on ebay at the moment which seems to be struggeling[also got it posted on autotrader at a for sale]trouble with bay everybody wants something for nothing.

anyway good luck

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Get a valuation on line (Parkers etc) should point you in the right direction. The petrol and the tow bar sadly narrow your target group as most pullers opt for a diesel.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Forgot to add your being a bit harsh and misinformed on the supermarket petrol thing as it's been proven time and time again that paying extra for so called enhanced petrol is a waste of money and no real benefit to the engine

·
amazing, just amazing!
2,926 Posts
Agree with ask your dealer, and if you think their offer is low then consider selling, eBay is fine but you're going to take a big hit in fees. Also agree about the petrol, it all comes out of one big tank up here, the only differences are the additives which go in as and when the delivery tanker fills up.

·
Registered
182 Posts
also,as an after thought a number of your fitted extras could be removed and sold on seperately with l imagine little difference to the price,but may effect the disirabilty,either way it wouid be interesting to know what valuation.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Parkers don't yet have a price for a 2013 Duster, a good 2012 Access 4X2 with 10K miles lists at about £7K without any extras. So I reckon mine should be worth £7,500 or so? Will probably put it on Ebay and see what happens. The Access is quite hard to get hold of - I don't think they really want to sell them - and there tends to be quite a long wait to get one, so someone may pay a decent price.

If not I will probably hang on to it and fit an LPG conversion.

Incidentally the towbar is for our Thule bike carrier, I realise the car is not ideal for towing large caravans. No Duster is, really. They're just too light.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Is it really worth selling it - If you are doing long distance driving all the time, yes possibly changing to a diesel will save you money in the long term but how long and how many miles will it take you to save more than you will loose by selling. Take time to work it out, you may be better off keeping it and as you say , fit LPG.

What do others on this forum think.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Forgot to add your being a bit harsh and misinformed on the supermarket petrol thing as it's been proven time and time again that paying extra for so called enhanced petrol is a waste of money and no real benefit to the engine
Where does all the fuel in the south come from? Fawley! Which belongs to Esso! Do you really think that they make loads of different fuels for all the different companies?

·
amazing, just amazing!
2,926 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
PS, I should think Westover would quite like a second hand Duster at Corfe Mullen. They could swank that they took it in P/E for another Dacia!

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
If you like the car and are happy with it, I would definitely give the LPG option serious consideration - although I'd make sure where you stand in terms of how this would affect your manufacturer warranty before going ahead.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Only problem is your looking at a thousand plus for a decent LPG conversion and garages that actually sell the stuff are pretty hard to find and obviously you will lose your warranty bizarrely for the whole car not just the engine as any major alteration invalidates it :(

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Only problem is your looking at a thousand plus for a decent LPG conversion and garages that actually sell the stuff are pretty hard to find and obviously you will lose your warranty bizarrely for the whole car not just the engine as any major alteration invalidates it :(
That's what I feared, manufacturers generally have a clause like that in the paperwork. What about spending the equivalent of the conversion cost on an older diesel or LPG estate for work, and keeping the Duster for private use? You could get a half-decent Focus TDCi estate for about £1500?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was under the impression that only the engine warranty was affected, and the LPG conversion people will give you some sort of warranty to cover that. I will check. I don't really see engine reliability as being a likely issue on a petrol car. In France Dacia themselves sell the car with a dual-fuel option so it should work well with LPG.

I already have another car for private (fun) use, the Duster is my "sensible" car for work!

All food for thought.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I was under the impression that only the engine warranty was affected, and the LPG conversion people will give you some sort of warranty to cover that. I will check. I don't really see engine reliability as being a likely issue on a petrol car. In France Dacia themselves sell the car with a dual-fuel option so it should work well with LPG.

I already have another car for private (fun) use, the Duster is my "sensible" car for work!

All food for thought.
Sadly there is no such thing as a engine warranty/ its a warranty full stop which goes out the window the second you ""alter''' the car

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sadly there is no such thing as a engine warranty/ its a warranty full stop which goes out the window the second you ""alter''' the car
I think you may be mistaken. The relevant section of the warranty exclusions is:

Any components of the Vehicle that have been changed following the Delivery Date and the

consequences (including but not limited to damage, premature wear, alterations) of such changes on other

parts or components of the Vehicle or on the Vehicle's specifications.

The full text of the exclusions section is as follows. Following your reasoning, the slightest alteration to the car would invalidate the whole warranty, which would plainly be unreasonable.

I will check with the dealer, though, to be sure.

- The Warranty does not cover:

- The indirect consequences of any fault (including but not limited to loss of business, length of time off the

road)

- Any components of the Vehicle that have been changed following the Delivery Date and the

consequences (including but not limited to damage, premature wear, alterations) of such changes on other

parts or components of the Vehicle or on the Vehicle's specifications.

- Any routine servicing agreed with the Customer on purchase of the Vehicle, recommended by Dacia,

detailed on the Warranty & Service Sheet (provided by the Dacia Dealer) or which the Customer chooses to

undertake.

- The replacement of parts damaged as a result of normal wear and tear. This includes (but is not limited to)

items such as brake and clutch friction materials, exhausts, wiper blades and trim. However, such items are

covered if replacement is required as a result of manufacturing or material defect.

- The damage resulting from poor Vehicle maintenance, especially when any instructions concerning the

treatment, servicing frequency or care to be taken with regard to the Vehicle detailed on the Warranty &

Service Sheet or in the Owner's Handbook have not been observed.

·
Registered
602 Posts
With diesel being ten pence at least (8%) more expensive than petrol...there is an equation to work out you have to get 8% mpg more to break even on the running costs; but to make up for the difference in initial cost price, you need to make around £2000 in savings in addition to this. ( there is a much bigger differential if you are buying a new car costing £2000 to £35000)

So if you were to spread that over three years, and you were doing 10,000 a year; Let me see;

Petrol car doing 40mpg would take 3312 litres to do the 30000 miles over three years

At todays price of £1.28 ltr unleaded in Scotland that would cost £4368

A diesel doing 50mpg would take 2730 ltrs to cover the same distance.

At todays price (£1.38 per ltr) that would cost £3767 .

A saving of 601 on fuel.

BUT you spent £2000 extra buying the diesel engine, so you are out of pocket by £1399.

You would have to run the diesel car for 10 years to break even.

The only way it works is if you buy a used diesel, for nearly the same price as a used petrol, and that's only going to happen if you get a naive gullible private seller.

So for you to sell your year old access for 7000 and then pay 1300 for a new diesel.....you are not saving money you are losing a lot!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts