UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the towbar that Dacia fit at the import centre require the rear bumper to be cut and modified. I've sourced a standard Witter bar at around £150 + fitting if required which seems reasonable. I have fitted towbars before but wondered if the cutting is a thing to factor in. Fitting of the bar and twin electrics is around £150, still cheaper than the dealer quote.

·
Registered
308 Posts
No it doesn't!

·
Registered
431 Posts
I had a Tow-bar fitted by the dealership and they did require to cut a small piece out of the back bumper. So there is a possibility of differing tow-bars. Was not an overly neat job but you don't notice it anyway. That part of the bumper is quite light anyway and looks easy to cut.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Has anyone fitted a towbar themselves? If so it would be great to have some step by step instructions and any gotchas to look out for.
Electrics look pretty simple, plump lay, not sure how much work putting the actual bar is, removing bumper etc especially if you have parking sensors!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Has anyone fitted a towbar themselves? If so it would be great to have some step by step instructions and any gotchas to look out for.
Electrics look pretty simple, plump lay, not sure how much work putting the actual bar is, removing bumper etc especially if you have parking sensors!
Here are the instructions for fitting a Witter towbar:

http://www.witter-towbars.co.uk/uMedia/FittingInstructions/DA4.pdf

...and in this instance it does involve cutting the bumper.

·
Registered
188 Posts
So to clarify...

Do you have to...
1. Remove bumper from car and refit afterwards
2. Remove exhaust and refit afterwards
3. Remove exhaust heat shield and discard

If yes to all the above then perhaps it is a job for the professionals after all !

·
Registered
431 Posts
I'll have a look as soon as I can maybe Wednesday and try and get a pic or two. Should know just by looking what needs to be done. But I thought it was a simple bolt on job by the look of the actual unit when I saw it (pre fitted).

·
Registered
188 Posts
I'll have a look as soon as I can maybe Wednesday and try and get a pic or two. Should know just by looking what needs to be done. But I thought it was a simple bolt on job by the look of the actual unit when I saw it (pre fitted).
IWC - many thanks, what a great source of info and help this forum is :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
hello;

Sorry not very good with computers have tried to bring the link over but cant

if you go on General chat

page 2

about three quarters way down you will see a section I posted called ACCESSORIES FITTING GUIDES

if you follow the instruction and change sit to English

on the choice of vehicle scroll down to duster

then in the accessory family section it will show 7 documents then click search and will bring up 7 downloads some links don't work

choose the bottom one named Mounting notice tow bar click on the line and a new window opens asking if you want to view or save document

when opened it shows the official Dacia tow bar fitting guide only pictures unfortunately

but it does show the cut out in the rear bumper

also in the download section is the fitting instructions for either 7 pin or 13 pin electrics

Hope this is a little more help

Nigelactonduster

·
Registered
10 Posts
sorry should read through the thing before sending it in my previous post I forgot a section

after vehicle

in the section accessory section it should say scroll down to tow bar

then you will see the 7 documents

Nigel

·
Registered
431 Posts
IWC - many thanks, what a great source of info and help this forum is :)
Sorry Tallywag have not had a chance just yet. Between the wife taking the Duster to work all week and the monsoon conditions were have had these last 2 days I've not had a chance yet but I will get there.

·
Registered
431 Posts
As promised ...

Managed to get under the car today and take a few pics.

As I guessed it is just botled on with 2 bolts on each side.

Here is the left side and all that is needed is the 2 bolts to secure it to the under body of the car. You can see where the wire goes up into the boot too.

TowbarLeft_zps157e5f2d.jpg

Here is the right side and it needs to be angled behind the heat shield for the Exhaust but does not look like too awkward of a job.

TowbarRight_zpsefeeeb36.jpg

There is plenty of room when on your back if you dont have the access to a pit or lifter but you will probably need a second pair of hands just to hold in place while securing.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Had a good look at the wiring today on mine and the feeds to pins 9, 10, 11 and 13 are definitely leaving the battery and ignition areas of the car but no power to those pins. It's now over a week since the promise of a call from the workshop manager! Useless dealers!

·
Registered
268 Posts
is that rust? i really need to rustproof mine extra if it's rust..
I would advise all new owners to have a look underneath, especially at the rear as the underseal is put on by workers, not robots, and they tend to miss the odd spot here and there.

·
Registered
188 Posts
As promised ...

Managed to get under the car today and take a few pics.

Here is the right side and it needs to be angled behind the heat shield for the Exhaust but does not look like too awkward of a job.

TowbarRight_zpsefeeeb36.jpg

There is plenty of room when on your back if you dont have the access to a pit or lifter but you will probably need a second pair of hands just to hold in place while securing.
Many thanks for that IWC, as they say a picture paints a thousand words and I can see what is involved and as you say doesn't look too difficult a task. I notice there is a significant cut centrally in the rear bumper required for the tow hook section to come through

·
Registered
431 Posts
is that rust? i really need to rustproof mine extra if it's rust..
Well spotted, it is on the actual towbar rather than the car though. Must see to it though, probably when I sort out the spare too .

·
Formally "2Dusterschris"
363 Posts
Well spotted, it is on the actual towbar rather than the car though. Must see to it though, probably when I sort out the spare too .
I've fitted a few towbars in the past and the paint on them is always poor. OK, they are made of very thick steel and won't corrode through but can begin to look very unsightly.

I always used to paint the towbars with a good coat of Hammerite before fitting them which kept them in good condition. The only problem I see these days is that there are stickers on the towbars which should remain readable so can't be painted over. Maybe the stickers will peel off and can be reapplied after painting.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Had a look at mine and no rust but the wire (that doesn't work) from the battery is looped round the bonnet catch and also the cable loom where it exits the car the grommet was not in place in the hole!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts