UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all

can some one help me please with some advise please

I have just bought a duster laureate dci 4x2 two wheel drive , I have a caravan weighing 1100kgs will I be able to tow this ? even that its not a 4x4 thanks very much for any help , I'm new to towing caravans and the duster so any advise would be great , thanks again

·
Registered
1,396 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi i think the 2x4 duster laurate is only 1200 towing max weight , can any one tell me if this will be ok to tow my caravan , really need to know before I commit to buying it tomorrow , has any one towed with the 2x4 if so was it ok , thanks so much

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
Phase one duster limit was 1200, current brochure states 4 X2 at 1500 kgs, one of the reasons I considered changing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks so much for that , will be signing up tomorrow for my new to me 2013 duster , then get towbar fitted then finaly get away with the caravan , sure im doing the right thing , thanks very much for your help , sure I will enjoy the duster for the price , loved the test drive , thanks again

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
Just to clarify, a 2013 Duster will have a trailer limit of 1200 kgs

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hi chris

its a swift classic duette 2000 , two berth thanks so much beginning to panic a bit now

thanks for any help

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ent email , ie the duster is a laureate dci 4x2 not access 1.6 if that makes any difference sorry , but thanks so much

·
Super Moderator
2,832 Posts
This is for the Laureate

a1.jpg

a2.jpg

I had this problem when trying to find a caravan I could tow. The nose weight limit is quite low on the Duster.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
Just out of interest then Chris, would the problem still be the same with a 2015 Duster that has the revised braked trailer limit of

1500 kgs, which is now the same therefore as the 4 x 4?

I tow a small Brian James twin axle car trailer, the problem that i had was the hitch height on the Trailer, but in correcting that the nose weight becomes , I suppose, infinitely adjustable. Years ago it would just have been a case of moving something heavy to the back of the Caravan. :D

Or could Spring assisters maybe solve the problem, ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have an alko staberliser on my caravan and thought that would off sorted any problem with wind etc , but I am going to pull out off the deal on the duster as don't want to risk it thanks for all your help

·
Super Moderator
2,832 Posts
The 4x4 is a better match. Caravan club recommends not going over 80% on the kerb weight ration, especially for novice caravanners. Moving things to the back to reduce the noseweight can add to the 'pendulum' effect making it more unstable.

·
Super Moderator
2,832 Posts
Loads of people on Facebook caravan groups tell how they have just bought an old dilapidated caravan on the cheap, and towed it home without any check on the brakes, wheels, lights or towing capacity of their car. They then fill them with ornaments, bunting, halogen ovens, cushions, bbqs, bikes, tables, chairs, oil filled radiators, full water tanks etc. and drive them about.

However, having said that I bought my caravan in Middlesbro, after checking it was within limits, and towed it back 100 miles to Manchester, first time ever towing. It was stored on a farm down a track barely wider than the caravan wheels. Had it checked when I got home and not only was there nothing left on the brake pads but the drums were badly worn out too. Had to get new drums and brakes fitted

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Loads of people on Facebook caravan groups tell how they have just bought an old dilapidated caravan on the cheap, and towed it home without any check on the brakes, wheels, lights or towing capacity of their car. They then fill them with ornaments, bunting, halogen ovens, cushions, bbqs, bikes, tables, chairs, oil filled radiators, full water tanks etc. and drive them about.

However, having said that I bought my caravan in Middlesbro, after checking it was within limits, and towed it back 100 miles to Manchester, first time ever towing. It was stored on a farm down a track barely wider than the caravan wheels. Had it checked when I got home and not only was there nothing left on the brake pads but the drums were badly worn out too. Had to get new drums and brakes fitted
We had a caravan (1978 Thomson Glenalmond - remember them?) for a period during the 1980s / early '90s, when I was in my early teens, which was towed by a 1973 Austin Maxi 1750, a 1984 Fiat Regata 85C and finally a Lada Riva 1500 Estate. My Dad was an HGV driver and competent amateur mechanic. He was diligent enough in terms of maintenance, and highly conscious of weights etc. as a result of his work; yet even then, beyond checking the recommended maximum weight, pairing of car and caravan was very much a "suck it and see" affair! It has to be said, the Maxi was, with hindsight, probably far too old to begin a career as a tow-car, gradually developing structural defects that would ultimately kill it off; and the little Lada really struggled on hills!

Happy memories, though :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
carnt thank every one enough specially chris for all his working giving me the feed back , you have all saved me spending my money on the duster to tow my caravan which would not of been up to the job , and could off cost me a fortune , and my life had you not helped me so thank you all very much , just goes to show that just because the caravan says its only 1100 weight and you see a car saying it pulls 1200 doesn't mean it will and its safe to use , lesson learnt today , will def be checking via towing sites befor I jump in next time , thanks so much , take care

1 - 20 of 21 Posts