UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I got winter tyres put on my Stepway last week. Initially I just had the two front ones done; I mentioned at the garage about the TPMS and they said they were used to dealing with them and all would be fine. It was. I drove the car away with no issues.

The next day I decided it would be safer to change the back two tyres as well so took it back to the tyre place. A different man changed the tyres and the next day as I was driving, the sensor lit on the dashboard, closely followed by the red warning light telling me I had a puncture!

I stopped immediately at a garage and checked the tyres - all were spot on 32psi. I rang the dealership and they said I'd have to take it back to them to get the sensor fixed (that's a 120 mile round trip!)

Has anyone else had this problem? If this is going to happen every time I get the winter tyres on and off, I'm going to have a sense of humour failure.

Any suggestions? I've tried resetting it on the stalk, but it doesn't work.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
...I had a similar problem on day 1 with my Duster - there was a slow puncture, for which the dealer replaced both the tyre AND valve/sensor (!?!): that took a couple of days, with me driving round using the spare...

...a few months later the sensor on that wheel triggered the dashboard warnings again, despite all 4 tyres being at the correct pressure: the dealer tried to charge me for a new sensor, and needless to say I refused!...

...3 months later I'm waiting for it to happen again - but at least it's only a 10 mile round trip if I need to berate the dealer...

Joe
p.s. I'd gladly do without TPMS - I haven't needed them for the last 30 years, with a VSE (visual surveillance of extremities) before each trip, so I reckon I could do without them from now on...

·
Registered
9 Posts
I agree Joe, I would rather do without the damned things, I simply don't see the need for them! I have a horrible feeling when i take it to the dealer to fix it, they're going to charge me because the tyre people have buggered the sensors. I'm tempted to leave it until I get the normal tyres back on in March time and get it fixed then rather than have a repeat performance.

Is this likely to happen every time the tyres are changed though? If so, it's going to be costly in both my time (120 mile round trips to the dealer) and money (new sensors every year) :angry:

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
Is this likely to happen every time the tyres are changed though? If so, it's going to be costly in both my time (120 mile round trips to the dealer) and money (new sensors every year) :angry:
...surely not? I can't imagine having to replace a sensor every time a tyre is changed. Okay, so in the past a tyre fitter would usually fit a new valve every time, but a normal valve is so cheap as to be a 'throw away' item - a TPMS sensor is not...

...just another way for some bright spark in Europe to interfere just for the sake of it...

Joe

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Joe, I'm going to go back to the tyre place today and see if I can get them to remedy the situation, as in replace the sensors. If I have to take it back to the dealer, I'll end up having to pay for them I think, and that seems wrong seeing as it's not my fault!

I think it's just the back tyres that're affected; the chap who did the front ones took a lot longer to do them and the lights didn't come on until after I'd had the back ones done. I'll let you know if I get anywhere with them!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Roldorf, you were lucky to have careful tyre fitters! I took it back yesterday, having discovered the pressure in one of the new back tyres was 11psi and they found that the idiot fitter had ruined the valve by yanking it out. The upshot is, they had to replace the valve with a normal one temporarily and I now have a 120 mile round trip to the dealership on 17th December to get a new valve and sensor fitted. To say I'm cheesed off is an understatement!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tduknet, no, yours won't (luckily for you!) as far as I'm aware, they only became mandatory this year, so cars manufactured before that don't have them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts