UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know how to remove the Transverse Roof Bars? I don't need them permanently attached.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Blimey modifications already you're a bit keen ;-)

·
Registered
431 Posts
Are ye talking about the ones that go across the roof where you can fit say a roof box? If so they should be easy to take off. Usually locked on to the other bars and you should be supplied with either a key or an Allen key to be able to take them off.

If its the ones that go the length of the roof then not so sure.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, it's the transverse (across the roof ones). They have a circular holes with 'lock' engraved on it and that is it! Once again I phoned the dealer and once again, guess what, no returned call!

I must have phoned then 20 times over the last weeks and have yet to be rung back!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Yes, it's the transverse (across the roof ones). They have a circular holes with 'lock' engraved on it and that is it! Once again I phoned the dealer and once again, guess what, no returned call!

I must have phoned then 20 times over the last weeks and have yet to be rung back!
Have ordered touring pack and don't want them all the time either - be interested to hear how to remove them.

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
This is based on my experience with thule brand bars.

Look at the end cap that has the "lock point".
Stand facing this cap and pull the cap towards you.
It should separate from the bars and extend from the bar a little
Turn anti clockwise to release the grip on the longitudinal bars.
Repeat on all remaining corners.

As I said this is based on my experience of thule bars (and Halfords, come to think of it).

The holes allow a barrel to be installed into the cap to prevent the cap from being released.

If interested I have some thule lock barrels for sale. Post me a pic of the cap (with a measurement of the lock hole) and Ill check the lock barrel sizes when I get home.

I have a few sets going spare from bars and carriers I've bought (i swap my original barrels across to my new gear to keep my keys the same) so I could do you a wee deal as you would be the dacia tester ;)

Hope this is of some help.

·
Formally "2Dusterschris"
363 Posts
Lidl transverse roof bars that fit the Duster have circular holes at their ends. Once the lock (included with the bars) is turned (one side only) a long Allen key can be inserted to tighten/loosen the bars on the roof.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Lidl transverse roof bars that fit the Duster have circular holes at their ends. Once the lock (included with the bars) is turned (one side only) a long Allen key can be inserted to tighten/loosen the bars on the roof.
I got those too ... And they look much more sturdy than the actual official Duster issue and a third of the price ... ( leans back and relaxes in smug self satisfaction ;) )

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have the touring pack and no key for the bars either, dealer was mystified and says he has ordered the keys for me, they look like the Thule 775 bars, but can't see any keys that seem to fit them in the Thule list I will try the pull and twist method as ninecherries suggests, as I can't see that there could be a key to fit the circular hole, it does look more like a blanking plate over a hole waiting for a lock barrel to be placed in!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Couldn't wait, just been out to check and yes, they are unbranded thule 775. instruction pdf can be found here (http://www.roofracks.co.uk/Thule-Fit-Guide/_-/?make=Kia&model=Sedona&type=MPV&rails=with-roof-rails&modelYear=2002-plus&id=28#.UUY4CK1FCt8), to detach, grasp the end cap (underneath is best as it has a lip) and pull, it will come out and has a long allan key attached, pull all the way out. Insert the key in the bolt that is now visible and unscrew anti clock wise, unscrew it for a bit, as it loosens you can push the bolt back, as it does, the strap is then loose enough to un hook - voila! Mine are off now, so a howl free ride to work tomorrow.

I await with interest to see what the dealer provides in the way of keys!

·
Registered
308 Posts
Couldn't wait, just been out to check and yes, they are unbranded thule 775. instruction pdf can be found here (http://www.roofracks.co.uk/Thule-Fit-Guide/_-/?make=Kia&model=Sedona&type=MPV&rails=with-roof-rails&modelYear=2002-plus&id=28#.UUY4CK1FCt8), to detach, grasp the end cap (underneath is best as it has a lip) and pull, it will come out and has a long allan key attached, pull all the way out. Insert the key in the bolt that is now visible and unscrew anti clock wise, unscrew it for a bit, as it loosens you can push the bolt back, as it does, the strap is then loose enough to un hook - voila! Mine are off now, so a howl free ride to work tomorrow.

I await with interest to see what the dealer provides in the way of keys!
Damn, why didn't I check back on this thread yesterday! That is exactly what the dealer told me this afternoon, I actually got a call back!

They are now off and in the garage!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Just as an update, Duster was in having its spare wheel fitted today, dealer saw me, came running up and apologized for not getting back to me on the locks, he confessed that the import centre had forgot to fit them with the bars and that they were being sent out to the dealers. So, if you had the touring pack speak to your dealer to get a set of locks!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Thanks simonsboswell, that's handy to know. I have the touring pack as an add-on ... but no Duster yet. When it does eventually get to handover time I'll be checking with the dealer that the roof bars have their locks included.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts