UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just to let any one interested know we are now finalising our plans to take a trip to the UK we leave on 25th June hotels already booked. Our route will be through Turkey, Bulgaria, Romania, Hungary, Austria, Germany Luxemburg, Belgium, France and P&O ferries. The distance will be 3,900 ish kilometres and we expect to take 4 days, 44 hours on the road - apparently.

The only spares we will carry are the legal stuff, 10litres of fuel and screen wash.

I will keep a log of fuel consumption, fill up in Turkey before we leave and then fill up in Luxemburg (less than £1.00 a litre allegedly) and calculate litres per 100 kilometres. That fuel should last us while we are in the UK, so we make our way back to Luxemburg and fill up for the return journey. Anticipated costs including hotels are on par with average air fares about £260 each way, except we don't have a luggage allowance.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
Just to let any one interested know we are now finalising our plans to take a trip to the UK we leave on 25th June hotels already booked. Our route will be through Turkey, Bulgaria, Romania, Hungary, Austria, Germany Luxemburg, Belgium, France and P&O ferries. The distance will be 3,900 ish kilometres and we expect to take 4 days, 44 hours on the road - apparently.

The only spares we will carry are the legal stuff, 10litres of fuel and screen wash.

I will keep a log of fuel consumption, fill up in Turkey before we leave and then fill up in Luxemburg (less than £1.00 a litre allegedly) and calculate litres per 100 kilometres. That fuel should last us while we are in the UK, so we make our way back to Luxemburg and fill up for the return journey. Anticipated costs including hotels are on par with average air fares about £260 each way, except we don't have a luggage allowance.
be carefull

im ashamed to admit this and say this to u

but crossing Romania will take u more than 12 hours cos our lack of motorway coverage (less than 2000km all country)

and be carefull on those bits of motorway that we have they are NOT all finished so they might be confusing most times

also they dont apear on GPS devices cos they are new

but we do have express A roads limit at 110km/h

any help u want feel free to ask or pm

vignette for romania 7 days (the smallest price is 12RON=4 Euros max) its electronicaly cupon u can purchase at any petrol station the main ones like PETROM, MOL, OMV the big names i mean not private ones

·
Registered
220 Posts
Have a safe trip. It sounds like fun. Just curious, what kind of non "legal" stuff would you carry if you were of a mind? Or do mean legally required stuff?

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Antavi, thanks for that, yes I aim to cross Bulgaria in one day but will be stopping overnight at Pitesti the home of the Stepway will they accept euros or do I need local currency?

Pitter, yes just the legal stuff light bulbs fuses and warning triangles, fire extinguisher, first aid kits and paper work, no room for driver or passenger!!!

Just been to the PTT (Post Office) in Turkey to buy the windscreen ornament that lets me drive on the motorways here, typical Turkey, you must have one to get off the motorway but you cant buy one when your on it - confused? hey its Turkey!

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
@DavidH

no euro only local curency RON

in hotels yes they do accept euros but watch the exchange rates

in petrol stations no just RON is better to have RON on u

1 euro = 4,2 - 4,4 RON

but exchange in legally banks not exchange offices

some of them might take advantage and charge extra commission cos u dont speak romanian (bla bla)

dont get me wrong we are very friendly and its a very safe country much safer than even turkey, but we like everybody else have those bad apples but stay safe and away from them

and if u need advice or help told u just pm me ;)

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
what a superb trip David.....

not jealous at ALL !!!

you must take lots of photos...and put them in an album on here so we can see ur adventures...

when is your return drive ????????

DM x

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi return journey middle of August, route to be confirmed. As for pictures I will have a go but l have terrible problems uploading on our wet string network and trying to do anything thats not play music or guess what will happen next with this stupid tablet technology is out of the question, its pants. My new i5 windows 8.1 PC is just as bad - a heap of . . . But I will try, I will have the dash cam to capture stills from but its very labour intensive.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks! Just been to the dealer to find out what oil it drinks, apparently it likes 5w 30 fully synthetic C3. Had set of seat covers put on as well, its 39 deg here now so can't wait to get going. One problem we will try and resolve tomorrow is the camera battery charger has gone AWOL may be able to buy something locally.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes we are intending to make our way to Dacia Day, you will easily be able to identify Trotski the steering wheel is on the wrong side and there's no tax disc.

Looking forward to meeting everyone.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Made it to Pitesti, sitting in the hotel having dinner, Mrs H loves the place so we will be coming back for a holiday. tTrotski has behaved impeccably sure footed on the motorways at 130kph true and amazing in Bulgaria where the pot holes have pot holes - that extra 40mm ground clearance earnt its keep today! Will post some footage on it be when we get the UK incredible roads - err tracks. Today we travelled from Eceabat in Turkey near Gallipoli to Pitesi Romania in just under 10 hours.

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
wow that sounds like an amazing drive David....i'm SO jealous ;)

Hope Mrs H has managed to take lots of photos....we are all expecting an album in the gallery ! :D :D

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sibu is stunning, a river runs through it and the road runs along the side of the river, very Gothic, expected to the Count round every bend. It took just under 12 hours to go from pitesti to Gyor in hungary, and today 8 hours from Gyor to Manheim in Germany, autobahn all the way, fast but boring give me Romania any day. The car is brilliant no problems, will cruise for hours at 2,600 rpm around 130kph, so far I have put 123.19 LTS of diesel in since we left fethiye for around 3200 km, will be more accurate when I fill up for the last time in Luxemburg tomorrow. Currently calculates to 71mpg.

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
Sibiu sounds truly idyllic, can't wait to see some photos as you went across the mountains...

Pretty good fuel economy too 71mpg....thats superb !

DM x

·
Registered
517 Posts
Final fuel consumption figure is 65MPG, average over 3699KM not bad considering for 3 days we were travelling at a constant 130KPH.

The oil level on the dipstick has not changed, all 4 tyres needed pumping up in Romania, probably due to the temperature difference, we left Turkey in 41degC Romania was 21degC and the tyres looked a little flat, in fact they were 5PSI down.

We started the trip with the air con full on and finished in Kent with the heater on - says it all.

All in all a very good trip and a remarkable car.

We do have Fethiye TAXI seat covers but no aches or back pains even after 12 hours driving. I often suffer from pins and needles in my fingers but a thick steering wheel cover over my sewn on leather cover has eliminated that.

The engine is noticeably quieter at the end of trip it purrs rather than growls - if that makes sense, didn't use the ECO button, its cheaper to run at an "uneconomical" speed rather than put in another overnight stop, 60 Euros (the average cost of a night stop) buys a lot of diesel, so keeping moving and keeping the speed up is in fact the most economical solution.

Conversation at 130KPH is no problem.

Also another observation is that the suspension has softened up and the car corners better, it was a bit harsh when new and I did put that down to stiffness in the joints, Bulgarian roads have sorted that out.

No rattles buzzes from the interior again despite Bulgarian roads.

Looking forward to the return journey.

I have saved all the dash cam footage and when motivation strikes will go over it and capture some stills and put a album together.

:)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts