UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to decide if I should buy the Dacia 4x4 Duster (Although I don't really need 4x4) or a Citroen Berlingo Multispace. I am not concerned about the van like shape of the Berlingo, but I am concerned about build quality of both vehicles. Anyone who now has a Duster ever owned a Berlingo for comparison?

·
Registered
154 Posts
if you don't need 4x4 then suggest you buy 4x2.

4x4 has switch from 4x2 to 4x4 so if 4x4 is not used it will likely seize and is still something which needs to be maintained.

·
Registered
45 Posts
bought my wife a Peugeot partner which was their branded berlingo. Much prefer my Duster, the ride is a lot better. The partner was a decent enough car, but you couldn't get away from its van heritage utility.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Sold my six and half year old Berlingo bought from new to get the Duster. I was due for a change as there was nothing wrong with it and had no problems bar a breakdown through the engine management module which was under manufacturers recall. I love the Duster and the only thing I miss is the massive storage space in the Berlingo, but that comes with the Modubox etc.

I'm with simonsboswell, much prefer my Duster.

·
Registered
95 Posts
the berlingo multispace is under-rated, it is cheaper to insure than the duster and offers alot more space.

the only concern with the berlingo is the 1.6 diesel engine which does suffer from DPF and injector failures.

·
Premium Member
1,199 Posts
the berlingo multispace is under-rated, it is cheaper to insure than the duster and offers alot more space.

the only concern with the berlingo is the 1.6 diesel engine which does suffer from DPF and injector failures.
Don't most diesel engines these days?

·
Registered
308 Posts

Sorry but you are wrong on the insurance front, my Berlingo renewal on 30th March was £195. I rang them to change it to my Duster three weeks earlier and it would come down £10 to £185 when I renewed. I had done a 'confused.com' search and the same insurers came out at £141so they told me to let it lapse and the do a new one on the net. Three weeks later when it came to do it the quotes had run out so I started again. This time the RAC (which turned out to be LV) came out out best at £165 including legal cover and protected NCB.

There is a thread about insurance and all who were posting had got cheaper insurance on their new Dusters than their old cars.

Space wise you are also wrong in that the normal boot size is much bigger in the Duster but when the seats are down the Berlingo comes out on top because the squab fold forwards. The 'Modubox does add shelf space but I never used it. The boot roof cupboard was useful but I think that the latest ones don't have that any more.

As I've posted earlier above I had no engine problems at all in the Berlingo (bar the EMM).

·
Archived Member
372 Posts
if you don't need 4x4 then suggest you buy 4x2.

4x4 has switch from 4x2 to 4x4 so if 4x4 is not used it will likely seize and is still something which needs to be maintained.
4x4 system will NOT seize, it's an electronic controlled system with multiplate clutch, it's not a pure mechanical system like older systems.

·
Registered
21 Posts
4x4 will always sell at a premium on 2-hand market... These may end up as popular off-road vehicles as they have good ground clearance.....

Also, 4x4 really does improve handling in poor conditions.

The downside, extra ££££'s outlay and a reduction in mpg...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts