UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Formally "2Dusterschris"
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I crawled underneath my Duster 4x4 this morning to have a look! Not as insane as it sounds, the blue plastic sheathed oxygen sensor wire had been hanging down ever since I bought the car and I wanted to prevent it coming to grief. It appears that a clip to hold the wire to the exhaust heat shield was missing, probably never fitted in the first place. No point in bothering the dealer with such trivia, I fixed the cable safely in place with a cable tie. Proper job!

Any way, whilst under the car I had a good look around to see how it's built. I was very impressed by how tough and durable all the engineering appeared. There's a substantial sump guard at the front and a metal guard along the length of the vehicle to protect pipes and cables. Apart from the exhaust, everything is tucked up nicely out of harm's way for off-road use. The rear diff breather has an extension pipe taking it a foot or so above the diff itself. The gearbox breather pipe goes way up into the engine compartment to the level of the valve cover.

There's plenty of corrosion protection by way of underseal and evidence of wax injection into box sections. Others have expressed concern about corrosion showing on some mechanical parts at an early stage. Well, there are some lightly rusted parts but they are thick, solid components such as drive shafts and the hub carriers which will never fail due to corrosion anyhow.

The suspension is independent all round with struts. My only concern is that, especially on the rear there are a lot of links with rubber suspension bushes. I wonder how the car will handle when these start to wear out?

Oh, an update. Just passed 4,500 miles and the only faults have been those wipers that caused streaks in the rain and that cable hanging down. Actually I'm a bit bored as there's nothing to tinker with!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thank you, Chris - that's really interesting.

I remember that Honest John had some reservations about the routing of the exhaust in his launch report: why do you think it runs where it does, and how "off-road" would you need to be for it to cause a problem?

·
Formally "2Dusterschris"
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, Chris - that's really interesting.

I remember that Honest John had some reservations about the routing of the exhaust in his launch report: why do you think it runs where it does, and how "off-road" would you need to be for it to cause a problem?
The exhaust runs low underneath the rear subframes and transmission simply because there's no space above them for it to fit. This is a consequence of the Duster having good ground clearance and plenty of headroom in the cabin whilst not being particularly tall in SUV terms.

Off-road, unless traversing rock, the exhaust would probably just ground and not come to a lot of harm as the lowest point is the pipe running along the length of the vehicle. Exhaust components such as the cat and silencer boxes, which could be torn off, are tucked away safely.

Just don't drive in the ruts that the tractors or Landies have left!

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
Love to read stuff like this as it make you feel that a good choice in buying has been made

Reactions: duster_4x4_driver

·
Registered
183 Posts
Loads of rubber suspension bushes ..no problem ,They make for a lovely smooth ride and when they start to wear the MOT test will pick up on it .They are cheap enough to replace.

Reactions: antavi
1 - 7 of 7 Posts