UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello all :)

We bought a Dacia Logan Laureate recently, and we're are very happy with the running of the car. Comfy, quiet, great MPG...and looks nice too!

However, I took it in to the dealership yesterday with 3 small issues - and I'm left feeling uneasy about how things were handled.

Having never bought a new car before, I have no experience of dealerships and the after sales service. I would like to hear people's opinions on if I am justified in being unhappy about things.

Issue 1 - the fuel gauge often 'sticks' on a low level and doesn't adjust when we put some fuel in.

Issue 2 - there is a set of small, circular scratches on the bonnet, caused by me washing/rubbing off some bird poo.

Issue 3 - the wheel trims keep falling off on potholes and having to be replaced. I have bought 2 new ones after 4 weeks of ownership, and tiewrapped the new ones on. But three weeks after fitting the new ones, a crack has appeared in one and a 5cm radius chunk of wheeltrim is now missing from it.

I booked the car in for yesterday, and the dealership spent about 3 hours on these issues

Dealers response...

Issue 1 - this is a quirk of me filling less than 10L per fueling, and whilst it is a bit silly, there's nothing that can be done about it other than for them reset the fuel gauge at the dealership everytime it goes out of sync.

Issue 2 - they said the scratch was on the top layer of laquer and would polish out in 2 mins. Indeed it did, a wonderful job of scratch removal. Except there is now, nearby to the previously scratched area, a chip that shows the grey primer. This chip was definitely not there when I took the car to them.

The polishing guy denies causing the chip but says he will order some Dacia paint and put a pinprick of paint into the chip - but says it won't look as good as an unchipped bonnet.

I have found a second deep chip this morning, on the other side of the bonnet - and I suspect it happened at the same time he was using his polishing machine to polish the whole bonnet.

Issue 3 - they say that wheeltrims are very hard to claim for under the warranty, and they do fall off, and using cable ties is a good idea. I wish they had said that before I had lost 2 wheel trims before Xmas. As to the damage to the 3 week old wheeltrim, they suggested buying cheaper wheeltrims from Halfords in the future.

I asked if I could take one card from the pile of business cards next to the front of house receptionist (so as to have a direct number and email address for next time). Her response was...'If you must'.

I sat there for nearly 3 hours to receive this (free) service, and I am wondering why I bothered. I live 24 miles/40 mins from this dealership...so it's a bit of a drive to go and sort out things. They are, unfortunately, the nearest Dacia dealership to me.

But I don't want to buy a wheel trim (on average) every 3 weeks that I own this car, and nor do I want 2 (primer depth) chips on a car that is 7 weeks old.

So, fellow Dacia owners, is this normal/typical of a main dealership?

Does anybody have any suggestions as what I should do now?

Thank you for reading this far, and I'm sorry that my first post here isn't a bit more positive!

·
amazing, just amazing!
2,926 Posts
I've got no answer on the fuel gauge except try to fill higher, if they say small fills are the cause change the way you fill up and see if they were right. Many fuel gauges will stick or read incorrectly if you overfill.

Chips on the bonnet are something you're going to get, it's a fact of life and a touch up pen or paint is a good thing to get hold of. If the polisher says he didn't chip the paint there's not a lot you can do, it's your word against his.

Wheel trims coming off/being cheap are something you should maybe ask about on the Logan forum directly as others may have similar experiences, my own advice again would be to buy a different good quality set and cable tie them on.

Yes you should name and shame if you think the dealer isn't playing fair but from what I read they have done right by you. They spent three hours on your car and fixed scratches caused by you (chips apart) I'm assuming without charge? If you can prove them wrong about the gauge I'm sure they'll fix that as well.

Reactions: antavi

·
Registered
407 Posts
The problem with dealers is that when you're buying, its "What can we do for you today?"
Once you've bought, its "What do you want now?"

Reactions: Roger

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all for your comments :)

I've been out of the UK, so not easily able to reply.

I think I agree with all your comments, and whilst I am still cross about the bonnet paintwork chips (I found a 3rd chip the next day), I suppose it really is my word against the polishing guy.

Disappointing experience though...especialy the receptionist's attitude.

As I said, I'm left feeling uneasy, rather than outraged. Not sure what, if anything, I will do about it, as it's even further to the next nearest Dacia dealership.

But hearing that some dealerships replace missing wheeltrims, it does annoy me to be told to go to Halfords to buy replacements if I lose anymore! I've never had a car/van lose wheeltrims like this, so I don't think it's my driving to blame.

Anyway, I wanted to get a consensus on the situation and that I now have...so thank you :)

·
Registered
186 Posts
It sounds extremely cowboy and whiffy to me.

1. Fuel gauge: really? It sticks if you don't put much fuel in it at a time? I remember the same problem with a Yugo 45 van I bought many, many years ago. The electrics were bargain basement Tandy, the engine from Singer and the body work was made of toffee. It was great for the first year until the crankshaft snapped, the indicator unit kept blowing, the thermostat kept sticking shut and the, yep you guessed it, fuel quantity element kept sticking owing to it being a floating ball in a chamber that went up and down like a ballcock except it had burred edges where it hadn't been finished properly. I would be insisting that they remove whatever detector element is in the tank and checking to make sure it wasn't down to something daft like that.

2. Small scratches from bird poo. Well that stuff's bad anyway but should come off easily. Dont use anything even mildly abrasive though, even a sponge dropped on the ground or a bucket with a bit of muck in the bottom etc can carry tiny particles on to the paint and scour it like a brillo pad. But to then discover chips in the paint. They sound fairly decent for sorting the self made scratches as best they can, but then need to sort the chips asap, before it rusts.

3. Wheel trims falling off? If youre doing doughnuts and rallying, perhaps a bit of kerb clipping etc then its a case of self to blame but I will hazard a guess that youre not doing anything remotely like that, in which case, they go on and they stay on unless the trims are rubbish (dealer supplied, dealer replace), or the wheels are pants (same answer). But some cheaper ones from Halfords? Yeah right!

Name them as I'd like to avoid them. All the best and I hope you get this sorted.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Unfortunately the fuel gauage response is probably correct; it happens with Renault's too, I have put a fiver into a demo to take it off the fuel light and the needle hasn't budged, I've then put a tenner in and it's shot up way higher than a tenner by itself would go.

Paint swirls from trying to remove bird poo, unfortunately you need to be more careful, it isn't really a fault of the dealer or Dacia; bird poo is evil stuff and needs to be completely re-hydrated to get it off without marking; I screwed up a Captur bonnet trying to remove bird lime without re-hydrating it.

Wheel trims, you actually state that they fall off when hitting a pot hole, sorry but I'm not surprised and then you state that they crack when they are cable tied on; yes they do this is because they aren't falling off when you knock them, this isn't the dealers or Dacia's fault either.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts