UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I thought I'd replace the speakers in the doors of the Duster, as much like other cars I've owned the OEM speakers are a bit pants. Not terrible but never going to blow you away, especially if you like to crank up the music now and again.

So whilst I was fitting them I took a few pictures to help anyone else who's thinking of replacing theirs. Firstly, get yourself a nice shiny set of 13cm speakers, these are the same front and back. In my case two sets of Alpine co-axial speakers.

Next step is to remove the speaker grilles…

photo1_zps001bbbf7.jpg

Use a flat screwdriver (wrapped in electrical tape in this case to stop scratches) to pop the speaker cover off. Doesn't require much persuasion but unclips and clips back solidly…

photo2_zps3aa62513.jpg

The grille actually stays attached, which is quite handy. Also as you can, the Indian chap putting my Duster together decided to have a little draw on them lol

photo3_zps153159d6.jpg

To remove the speakers you will need a T20 torxdriver. Check out those paper bad boys, at least 5 watts of reasonable-ness!

photo4_zpsb95b7e58.jpg

There's a shock, a Renault logo! Probably the same OEM speakers in the Twingo which not surprisingly in my girlfriends old car we swapped for Alpines as well.

photo5_zpse5524400.jpg

The speakers unclip from this connector….

photo9_zps4dc29bae.jpg

Ok, this is the bit that means no going back, snip the connector off the wires.

photo10_zps14f5cab3.jpg

Now I haven't taken any pictures of connecting the wiring but I used a crimping tool to attach female spade connectors for the connections on the speakers. I actually found that using some additional speaker wire to extend the original wires a little made it far easier to connect them as there wasn't a lot of OEM wire to play with.

The front speakers screwed in no problem to the original holes….

photo12_zpsfc405826.jpg

The rear speakers also fitted fine but required a little fiddling about. Basically the rear speaker housing although for a 13cm speaker is slightly different.

It just meant I trimmed down the prongs a little so it sits perfectly into the original slots. You may not need to do this but depends on the model of speakers. Either way it's easy to adapt them slightly and they'll fit like this….

photo11_zps2ca3ba86.jpg

Clip the grilles back in place, close the doors and turn up some music. Although not overly bassy they'll have a lot more clarity than the original speakers. Job done. :)

Hope that helps people out, it's a cheap upgrade that makes a big difference.

·
amazing, just amazing!
2,926 Posts
Nice one Alex.

·
Banned
1,098 Posts
Well I thought I'd replace the speakers in the doors of the Duster, as much like other cars I've owned the OEM speakers are a bit pants. Not terrible but never going to blow you away, especially if you like to crank up the music now and again.

So whilst I was fitting them I took a few pictures to help anyone else who's thinking of replacing theirs. Firstly, get yourself a nice shiny set of 13cm speakers, these are the same front and back. In my case two sets of Alpine co-axial speakers.

Next step is to remove the speaker grilles…

Posted Image

Use a flat screwdriver (wrapped in electrical tape in this case to stop scratches) to pop the speaker cover off. Doesn't require much persuasion but unclips and clips back solidly…

Posted Image

The grille actually stays attached, which is quite handy. Also as you can, the Indian chap putting my Duster together decided to have a little draw on them lol

Posted Image

To remove the speakers you will need a T20 torxdriver. Check out those paper bad boys, at least 5 watts of reasonable-ness!

Posted Image

There's a shock, a Renault logo! Probably the same OEM speakers in the Twingo which not surprisingly in my girlfriends old car we swapped for Alpines as well.

Posted Image

The speakers unclip from this connector….

Posted Image

Ok, this is the bit that means no going back, snip the connector off the wires.

Posted Image

Now I haven't taken any pictures of connecting the wiring but I used a crimping tool to attach female spade connectors for the connections on the speakers. I actually found that using some additional speaker wire to extend the original wires a little made it far easier to connect them as there wasn't a lot of OEM wire to play with.

The front speakers screwed in no problem to the original holes….

Posted Image

The rear speakers also fitted fine but required a little fiddling about. Basically the rear speaker housing although for a 13cm speaker is slightly different.

It just meant I trimmed down the prongs a little so it sits perfectly into the original slots. You may not need to do this but depends on the model of speakers. Either way it's easy to adapt them slightly and they'll fit like this….

Posted Image

Clip the grilles back in place, close the doors and turn up some music. Although not overly bassy they'll have a lot more clarity than the original speakers. Job done. :)

Hope that helps people out, it's a cheap upgrade that makes a big difference.
well done nice ly explained ;)

Granity Gray is brilliest ;)

·
Registered
217 Posts
Great explanatory pictures Alex.

For others it may be of interest that PC2-805 Nissan / Renault speaker adaptor leads are available from LIQUIDICE 2008 on Ebay. They come as a pair for £2.05.

I purchased two lots which are for four speakers. Fitted them when installing the stereo in my Access Duster and it does away with any cutting of cables.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice tip there mate, wish I'd known before but I guess once the crimps are on I'm not going back to standard, good to know though. :)

Hopefully it'll help out, not the most techy guide but handy for those who might not have changed speakers.

A nice simple quick modification.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Nice job

·
Registered
310 Posts
Thats a great post. I think the speakers are awful and want to replace them. Do i need anything inparticular to know when buying speakers?

What diametr and depth is best?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Very helpful tutorial. Does anyone know if the speaker front grill will pop out the same way on a Logan MCV Access (2015)?

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I wonder if I could use these wires to give the kids a shock when they are misbehaving in the back ???? :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
186 Posts
OK, thanks.

Do you know if the wiring is in place for the rear speakers?
There is wiring in the rear of the Duster access so I would assume it is the same for the Logan.

I will de doing the speaker upgrade front and rear next week, well not exactly an upgrade since there are no speakers fitted in the first place lol.

·
Registered
8 Posts
There is wiring in the rear of the Duster access so I would assume it is the same for the Logan.

I will de doing the speaker upgrade front and rear next week, well not exactly an upgrade since there are no speakers fitted in the first place lol.
Hi DusterFan

I will be looking to fit a radio and speakers in the near future as well. What size speakers will I need to buy?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Hi DusterFan

I will be looking to fit a radio and speakers in the near future as well. What size speakers will I need to buy?
The rusty Duster we have at the moment although an Access came with styling pack and Kenwood stereo, looking at the box the speakers fitted are 13cm or 5 1/4 inch. They are the same size front and rear I believe, the sound from the stereo system fitted is really bad so looking to start a fresh next week for the Mrs. Good luck fitting

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
Don't know about the Logan, but one of the reasons that it's a bit poor in the duster is that the speakers have no rear enclosure. They are just exposed to the void and internal workings of the door. A decent cabinet on the back of the speaker is a good thing, but ordinarily this should be tuned to the driver (very much doubt that with the Duster!) and should be reasonably braced. If you've ever turned the level up you'll find that you're getting nearly as much sound outside as you are inside. The door card isn't particularly well damped either which isn't helping.

The rear doors are effectively a sealed enclosure although that's debatable as the door handles provide an opening to the outside world, but the fronts do have a possible unintentional ported enclosure. There's a gap from behind the speaker/electric window control pod into the door pocket which you can feel acting as a port; again I suspect probably unintentional and badly tuned as the speakers are pretty much unloaded.

As the speakers are exposed to the inner workings of the door, don't expect them to last too long. The crappy Renault speakers are just a paper cone - perhaps scotchguarded/fabsil protected - but still just a basic paper cone. The internals of the door (note this is a 63 plate Indian built duster, so this might not be the intentional norm...) is quite often wet. The comments about cars having a lot of condensation, esp. in the back, are a result of this - there are no membranes within the doors like you would have on other marques. This could be a manufacturing fault on the Indian cars but given the lack of enclosure/membrane I would take this general advice; buy something that is water resistant! I changed mine for some carbon woven JBL ones.

Also be mindful of the depth that you have available on the rear Duster door cards - there's what appears to be a rain guard over the top rear - they are very shallow and only just clear the factory speakers. If you buy something with a half decent magnet on the back you could find yourself with not enough depth to fit them. If you hack of the plastic guard they'll defo get wet.

If you're serious about getting some decent sound, you'll need a head unit with a proper EQ in it as there are some anomalies with the whole set-up which really colour the sound. A headunit with a parametric EQ, a descent audio spectrum analyser, some dynamat to deaden the doors, and some time on your hands and you can get it to sound quite good. Or you could have bought a car with a half decent system in to start with!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Don't know about the Logan, but one of the reasons that it's a bit poor in the duster is that the speakers have no rear enclosure. They are just exposed to the void and internal workings of the door. A decent cabinet on the back of the speaker is a good thing, but ordinarily this should be tuned to the driver (very much doubt that with the Duster!) and should be reasonably braced. If you've ever turned the level up you'll find that you're getting nearly as much sound outside as you are inside. The door card isn't particularly well damped either which isn't helping.

The rear doors are effectively a sealed enclosure although that's debatable as the door handles provide an opening to the outside world, but the fronts do have a possible unintentional ported enclosure. There's a gap from behind the speaker/electric window control pod into the door pocket which you can feel acting as a port; again I suspect probably unintentional and badly tuned as the speakers are pretty much unloaded.

As the speakers are exposed to the inner workings of the door, don't expect them to last too long. The crappy Renault speakers are just a paper cone - perhaps scotchguarded/fabsil protected - but still just a basic paper cone. The internals of the door (note this is a 63 plate Indian built duster, so this might not be the intentional norm...) is quite often wet. The comments about cars having a lot of condensation, esp. in the back, are a result of this - there are no membranes within the doors like you would have on other marques. This could be a manufacturing fault on the Indian cars but given the lack of enclosure/membrane I would take this general advice; buy something that is water resistant! I changed mine for some carbon woven JBL ones.

Also be mindful of the depth that you have available on the rear Duster door cards - there's what appears to be a rain guard over the top rear - they are very shallow and only just clear the factory speakers. If you buy something with a half decent magnet on the back you could find yourself with not enough depth to fit them. If you hack of the plastic guard they'll defo get wet.

If you're serious about getting some decent sound, you'll need a head unit with a proper EQ in it as there are some anomalies with the whole set-up which really colour the sound. A headunit with a parametric EQ, a descent audio spectrum analyser, some dynamat to deaden the doors, and some time on your hands and you can get it to sound quite good. Or you could have bought a car with a half decent system in to start with!
It's the wife's car she can have boat speakers & lump it lol

Anything has to be better than the current system, apparently the radio reception also keeps on breaking up.

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
I take it back. The phase 2 is remarkable in comparison. Stock radio and speakers, and some real punchy bottom end.

They're clearly doing more then than a facelift. There's something behind the more solid feel to the door shutting.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I take it back. The phase 2 is remarkable in comparison. Stock radio and speakers, and some real punchy bottom end.

They're clearly doing more then than a facelift. There's something behind the more solid feel to the door shutting.
I said that it was like looking at 2 different vehicles. The smile that the wife gave when clunking the door shut was worth all the trouble experienced before, it was priceless. It is amazing how the build can be so different, the extra door seals must play its part.

So it doesn't have to be boat speakers for her now then!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Today I purchased 4 Fli F15 speakers for the Access, these fit well into the housing with no modification needed.

http://www.halfords.com/technology/car-audio/sound-systems/fli-fi5-5-13cm-3-way-coaxial-car-speakers

Just after I finished the front install it starting hissing it down, with the rear speaker cover removed I could see the water running down the inside of the doors, so no membrane in them at all, my hand was wet through. I can now see why so many had issues with wet footwells now! What is annoying is that I can't get any sound out of the rear speakers. I removed the head unit but can't even locate the same colours so not sure where the rear speaker wire feeds go!

On the plus side these speakers are very impressive for the money with DAB and ipod connected, very punchy bass that we might return the rear speakers for a refund as can probably live with just the fronts.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts