UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi,

When I went for a test drive I took a USB stick with some music on to try that feature out. It didn't work, but I figured maybe I needed to re-format the USB stick or have the music "loose" rather than in folders for each album.

Now I have my car I tried it again yesterday with a freshly formatted USB stick (a different one than before) with some music files in folders and some not.

Still can't get anything to play. It recognises I've plugged the device in but when pressing the media button it only allows me to choose from the CD or "BT Audio" which I think are samples tunes on my mobile phone.

Before posting I did try searching this forum for "USB" but minimum word length was four characters.... :angry:

Is anyone out there in Dusterland using USB memory sticks successfully? If so, please share the secret. :wacko:

·
Registered
230 Posts
I've not got my duster yet, but from past experiance.

what size is the stick?

there might be a size limit on the stereo.

the stick will probaby need to be formated as FAT.

the files will probably need to be in the MP3 format not WMA or iTunes format.

hope this helps

Reactions: stevo22

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. That's a good point, I probably formatted as NTFS out of habbit. I'll give that a try tonight.

All the tunes are mp3 files (although when I looked in the radio handbook I think it did say that it supported a variety of other formats including .wma).

One stick was a 2Gb and the other an 8Gb, so pretty conservative by current standards.

Will post a progress report later.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have just read the duster brochure again, and it does state that it has USB connection for MP3 players. This would suggest that it wont play music from a memory stick, but allows you full control of your MP3 device via the vehicles head unit.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have just read the duster brochure again, and it does state that it has USB connection for MP3 players. This would suggest that it wont play music from a memory stick, but allows you full control of your MP3 device via the vehicles head unit.
I have a 16GB memory stick plugged in and it works fine with MP3 tracks.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I assumed the stereo was as mentioned above, that USB port is there to plug in a memory stick and it should resognise folders with MP3s on there.

I have an MP3 only head unit in my Clio and I plug a USB stick in the front. Will recognise WMA and MP3 files even within random folders or just dropped in the main part of the file. Oh, and those are files from a Mac OS.

Effecitvely it shouldn't make a difference whether the memory stick is FAT32, NTFS etc as even a basic unbranded MP3 player should recognise the files.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I've used a USB stick too, it's quite cool as it plays the tracks randomly not in order so it's like a radio station without the annoying DJ and it only plays music I like. I also stream music from Spotify via Bluetooth.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone.

I formatted a couple of sticks again this evening and I've got them both to work perfectly now.

Mickand, the songs on mine seemed to be playing in the correct order - but all my filenames start "01", "02" etc before the song title so perhaps that overrides the ID3 tag.

Now going to order a couple of these "low profile" sticks because I know if I have a big one sticking out I'll snap it off...no pun intended:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-SDCZ33-008G-B35-Cruzer-Flash-Drive/dp/B005FYNSUA/ref=sr_1_42?ie=UTF8&qid=1369248544&sr=8-42&keywords=usb+stick

·
Super Moderator
2,832 Posts
I tried a memory stick and it didn't work. Reformatted it, still not working.

So I bought one of these Verbatim 43941 Netbook 16GB USB 2.0 Drive from my local ASDA and that works fine. I have my music saved in folders by artist and album.

It also has the advantage that it doesn't stick out, so no chance of catching and breaking it when operating the radio, and it doesn't stand out as something worth stealing. I just leave it in the socket all the time.

eBuyer have cheaper and bigger.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Oops, sorry, I've started another topic on this subject, as I was in a bit of a hurry and didn't see this. See: USB on Radio. I have read and re-read the manual, and it says the system should recognise and handle an ipod. It doesn't.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Oops, sorry, I've started another topic on this subject, as I was in a bit of a hurry and didn't see this. See: USB on Radio. I have read and re-read the manual, and it says the system should recognise and handle an ipod. It doesn't.
Our plays the ipod fine.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Comes up on the display as ipod, and you can then select the playlists etc as you would expect. Sounds as yours may be dodgy

1 - 20 of 62 Posts