UK Dacia Forum banner

Usb stick

8K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  SunGlassesRon 
#1 ·
Just trying to load my music onto a 8gb sandisk memory stick to play in the medianav but Windows Media player won't recognise the stick. The laptop will but not the media player? .I know it's nothing to do with my Stepway but I just wondered if any "Teccys"on here has the answer. :':)O:)

#3 ·
I know many people like to use memory sticks, but I found the control system very frustrating and hated the fact you could play random tracks consecutively only albums, tracks or artists, in the end I decided just the plug my old 120gb ipod into the usb socket, means I can set the iPod to random and use the steering wheel control just to flick past a track I don't fancy.

#4 ·
To get random play of all the tracks on your usb stick, regardless of folder arrangement: make a playlist in the root folder that includes all the tracks you are interested in. Select the playlist and switch on the random play and presto: random play of your whole collection.

The playlist does not have to include all your folders: if you have different users they can each have their own list, or if you have different music for different moods you can make different lists to suit.

A quick google will give you plenty of options on how to create playlists depending on your operatings system/media player combination.

#5 ·
if you look at the Medianav page on Dacia's site, there is a manual you can download and it says clearly that it supports both MP3 and WMA formats. I have spent ages preparing my 32GB stick for when the car arrives next week and I truly hope it wasn't time wasted and I have to encode the whole lot to MP3!!!

#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
FAT 32 is usually the clue here, make a backup copy of your music on a PC hard drive and reformat the USB stick to FAT 32 then copy the music back onto the USB stick - if it wont work first time you may have to download a flash drive low level format program - they are device specific so you need to know what USB drive you have. I have only had to do this once in too many years playing with hardware.

The only other thing I can think of is that the mediaNav system is unable to read sticks above a certain size and 32GB is too big - perhaps someone out there has tried this?

#7 ·
Hi DavidH,

in my long experience with IT, FAT32 would be the common file format used for any data that's stored on a PC drive that does not use the Windows Professional edition - if your C:\ drive is encoded to NTFS format then you would have an issue, because that's the format used by Professional editions of the O/S.

Funny how it's meant to be a multimedia player and cannot read WMAs which are a market standard as much as MP3s...

#8 ·
Hi DavidH,

in my long experience with IT, FAT32 would be the common file format used for any data that's stored on a PC drive that does not use the Windows Professional edition - if your C:\ drive is encoded to NTFS format then you would have an issue, because that's the format used by Professional editions of the O/S.

Funny how it's meant to be a multimedia player and cannot read WMAs which are a market standard as much as MP3s...
actually you a choose the file system regardless of the OP system when you install the OP system, you even get a warning about consequences of choosing the wrong allocation table format, but you're right Microsoft pushes you to NTFS.

The problem is that the systems in most electronics can only manage FAT 32 so although you do have a choice for your Windows PC hard drive you don't have a choice for your USB stick if you want it to be read by another OP system. So the compelling reason for using FAT 32 is that its not platform dependant and can be read by MAC and LINUX (Android) - the latter being the OP system of choice for things like the multimedia player, WMA is a file format and very platform dependant seeing as its a Microsoft file format.

#9 ·
So here's what I did to remedy the WMA question mark:

1) ensured my USB stick is FAT32

2) Downloaded FreeRip from the Windows store (totally free edition): it lets you do as many MP3 conversions as you like and as many files at once. I had about 600 tracks in WMA and converted them all overnight. It takes quite a long time to do a whole batch like that but worth it coz: my smart TV (coming up 3 years old) now sees all the MP3 on the stick and plays them all fine. I am therefore assuming that putting that stick into Medianav will achieve the same results...fingers crossed!

#10 ·
To get random play of all the tracks on your usb stick, regardless of folder arrangement: make a playlist in the root folder that includes all the tracks you are interested in. Select the playlist and switch on the random play and presto: random play of your whole collection.
The playlist does not have to include all your folders: if you have different users they can each have their own list, or if you have different music for different moods you can make different lists to suit.
A quick google will give you plenty of options on how to create playlists depending on your operatings system/media player combination.
The 2017 radio/USB system doesn't appear to show several playlists and only mixes the first one.

Do I have to use a different USB stick for each playlist or am I missing a trick in setting up the order of albums/fles/tracks on the USB??

#11 ·
Hi
Just bought a Sandero Ambiance tried using the usb to play some music. USB is formatted to fat32 files are in MP3 when the usb loads it plays track 1 but for the life of me I can't figure out how to access any of the other albums on the usb.Using the right hand knob on the radio I can scroll down from track 1 to 13 but it goes no further.Anyone goy any idea how to fix this

TIA :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.