UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I used to deliver cooking oil to a biodiesel farm near beeford in east Yorkshire in 2005 who would sell it at cost to nearby chip shops and takeaways for use, then colect for free. Now if I can remember it right This would then be filtered and mixed in a container with normal diesel in a 25/75 (not sure the exact mix but there was more diesel than cooking oil) oil to derv split. The owner had a Toyota 4x4, not sure what it was, (hilux maybe) converted to run on vegetable oil, but used a second tank for started/ warming the engine then it ran on cooking oil. It is possible but by look of it needs alot of fiddling around with second tanks, filter use and obviously wear and tear, and with veg oil at about 12 quid for 20 litres wholesale I can see your point.
Engines where alot more robust back then as they where larger with lower output, now they are all smaller with bigger output, which is at a guess why reliability to such abuse now damages them. I remember our Morrison's selling Bio diesel for a short time for the same price as standard diesel.

Posted Via The DaciaForum.co.uk App

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im think ing about picking up a scrappo old 205 or something to experiment on as this seems soooo much cheaper,like lpg as well but weve all seen the explosions...

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
An old one will run better on it than a new one, you'll still need to mix it with standard diesel I reckon or you'll never start it without shaking it into the ground.
The cars behind will get the lovely aroma of chip fat... instead of that sweet, sickly bleachy smell that modern diesels pump out.

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
My brother in law has a business in Darwin, Australia called "Fryer Fuels". He was a chef but diversified and started going round collecting used cooking oil and converting to bio diesel. He also sells new cooking oil to the establishments he collects the old oil from. His business has been a great success, even winning awards. Here's his website if anyone's interested:

http://fryerfuels.com.au/

Graham

·
Super Moderator
2,832 Posts
In the UK any liquid (except water) that is not hydrocarbon (mineral) oil, biodiesel, bioethanol or bioethanol blend (all if which are subject to fuel duty) that is used to fuel a vehicle is liable for fuel excise duty at the same rate as Diesel.

The duty becomes payable when you put it in your vehicle, or when you decide that you are going to use it in a vehicle, whichever comes first.

So in theory you should call HMRC and pay them the duty which is 58p/litre and could be prosecuted if you don't.

There is a 20p/litre discount for using waste cooking oil, but there are also loads of regulations if it has been used to fry meat or fish (like having to test for bacteria and boiling it)

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Chris
That's not entirely accurate as Red diesel is relatively tax free
true, but try going to a station and getting red diesel nowadays, you'll need your passport, driving licence and 3 utility bills just to get the pump started.
We're supposed to use it in the freezers at work on the trucks, (as long as its not powering the vehicle running on the road its permitted, ie our freezers are fitted with separate tanks and run 'on the vehicle') but its too much time and hassle for them so we just use standard diesel on a separate reciept. I think the excise cost on cooking oil is reduced if its proven 100% recycled filtered oil, most manufacturers do not recommend its use, anthough I think standard diesel now has 5% of the stuff as standard now.
Its purely down to luck I think, some cars will take to it, others will run, but cost you more in repairs.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I ran a 206 sw 2 litre hdi on refined old cooking oil for about 2 yrs, no problems
at all, except on cold mornings when it would thicken up, but always started after
a few goes.
Bought from a place on the a64 going into York, about half the price of diesel.
Seem to remember they added kerosene to it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I ran a 206 sw 2 litre hdi on refined old cooking oil for about 2 yrs, no problems
at all, except on cold mornings when it would thicken up, but always started after
a few goes.
Bought from a place on the a64 going into York, about half the price of diesel.
Seem to remember they added kerosene to it.
Did you have a 2 tank system or heat it at all?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I had a Xsara 1.9D I ran on 100% veg oil i bought in Costco's. In winter I used to have to heat the head up with a blow torch to get it to start :lol:

Worked a treat and cost next to nothing. It survived 35,000 miles before the fuel pump gave up.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you put red diesel in your car and drive it on the roads you could also be prosecuted. I was talking about using it for cars driven on the road.
Do they even sell red diesel these days?!?!

Tbh with recycled veg oil,just pay the duty on it 50 odd pence a litre is still a biiiig saving!

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
I always used to wonder why my neighbour would empty several big bottles of veg oil into his old Peugeot 306 once a week. I always just thought he was running low on Diesel and had used this a fuel cans. I asked and he was running it on 2 thirds Diesel 1 third veg oil saving about £50 a week in fuel bills. It ran like that for years with no problems. Just a bit smokey. Not sure about duty on that though ????

·
Registered
28 Posts
Antsalt, just one tank never had to heat it.

Only had one time when it took an age to start,

theres a story here about trying to escape from

a dodgy b&b in Minehead, but thats for another

day.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Do they even sell red diesel these days?!?!

Tbh with recycled veg oil,just pay the duty on it 50 odd pence a litre is still a biiiig saving!
you can still buy it, a garage on the a63 in Hull sells it, the pump if a garage has one is usually amongst the adblue and fast flow hgv pumps.... the really old fashioned looking one. But to buy it you need photo I.d. once you put it in the tanks stained forever. Think its more for boats and generators these days, although the red taint does keep the pikeys mits off my fuel tank! Its the only truck in the yard that doesn't get drained every Christmas!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts