UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to do this for awhile but now I'm a little worried. I managed to get some clear acrylic protective Film and so far I've practiced on the fridge door, and the dryer with quite good results, I plan on using the wife's car as a guinea pig before I put it on mine, but as I messed about with the fridge and dryer I've only got enough left for her sills.
I've stripped back to bare paint, heated the film, used water and washing up liquid, yet when I put it on the car it dries white and powdery underneath? Could it be that I'm trying to wrap it around to complex an area as the fridge and dryer took the film effortlessly? The sill on the c max is quite nobbly, with alot of turns. Any help would be well recieved, so far all I've got is a wrapped fridge freezer door and dryer, I've given up on the car for now.

·
miserable old git
848 Posts
the white powdery stuff is the residue from the water/detergent solution due to the knobbly sill you aren't managing to squeegee out all the water. In addition, using heat probably isn't helping either as it will be helping the powdery crystals to grow whereas letting it all dry naturally would be better (remember science growing crystals at school?) HOWEVER I suspect as I said first your knobbly sills are the main problem.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the white powdery stuff is the residue from the water/detergent solution due to the knobbly sill you aren't managing to squeegee out all the water. In addition, using heat probably isn't helping either as it will be helping the powdery crystals to grow whereas letting it all dry naturally would be better (remember science growing crystals at school?) HOWEVER I suspect as I said first your knobbly sills are the main problem.
ah thanks, do you think plain water would be best? Or try and put it on waterless? I don't know of its because it's cheap stuff, but if I don't heat it it won't bend.
Perhaps I should give up on the corners, I got the 2 little steps done no problem, but it was the last turn that was causing the most problems.
The c max definitely needs this as the paint quality is very poor, you can scratch it knocking it with your clothes :'(

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
ah thanks, do you think plain water would be best? Or try and put it on waterless? I don't know of its because it's cheap stuff, but if I don't heat it it won't bend.
Perhaps I should give up on the corners, I got the 2 little steps done no problem, but it was the last turn that was causing the most problems.
The c max definitely needs this as the paint quality is very poor, you can scratch it knocking it with your clothes :'(
Leave it to the professionals! :p

·
Registered
1,396 Posts

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Use water with a few drips of washing up liquid into a trigger spray. If you try and put it on dry you'll loose the will to live (1shot, can't be moved)

Squeegee out as much as you can with a a suitable tool like:-
ImageUploadedByDaciaForum.co.uk1422369353.270925.jpg

Warm the vinyl for tight corners etc or when the edges still have a bit of water in them.

Hope this helps. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the advice everyone, I'm going to give it another go (on the c max 1st) at weekend when I get some daylight as I'm out at 5 in morning and not back till 7 most days, royal, unfortunately there's not many places around here that offer that kind of work, being near hull which is counted as most as end of the motorway= end of the world! I have a mate that does sign writing, but he admits his work isnt that great as he does more shop signs and avoids autos.
Ha ninecherries, I used one of those keyfob morrisons cards, I didn't know you could actually get a proper tool, the stuff I got is supposed to be scratch resistant, and repositionable up to 24 hours, not sure if that meant dry too.
I'm going to wrap the door handle on patio doors to see how much abuse the stuff can take, and if I can get it the shape, and wrap and stay around stuff, it's frustrating, but strangely I could see myself getting addicted to wrapping stuff if it works.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi, I managed to get all the sills on the c max done today following your advice, I didn't use the washing up liquid this time, only water and no cloudy marks this time.
I gave up on trying to coat the full sill as theres too many edges, just the bit the girls stand to, and a bit around the edge.
Tried to do the rear bumper but ended up in disaster as it kept kinking, think it's too rounded to fold it over the edge, maybe have to do it in 2 pieces... It was getting dark, and the wife was getting a bit fed up of me being outside, thought I'd better leave that for another day ;-) thanks all.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts