UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if you open the boot with the key get stuff out and put your keys down in the boot and forget the car can be locked then shut the boot you have locked your key in beware

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
our locking system is a bit different in the duster

we can open the boot from the key fob

don;t need to use the key

however, there is the potential to lock the keys in the boot

if you press unlock, and then open the boot, or back doors first...

OPEN the drivers door....and then do what you need to

or just shove your keys in your pocket instead !!!!

LOL

DM x

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
our locking system is a bit different in the duster

we can open the boot from the key fob

don;t need to use the key

however, there is the potential to lock the keys in the boot

if you press unlock, and then open the boot, or back doors first...

OPEN the drivers door....and then do what you need to

or just shove your keys in your pocket instead !!!!

LOL

DM x
Just to mess things up a bit (and I should probably post similar on a Duster thread): I sort of registered recently that my Duster wasn't locking automatically if I had opened the boot. Of course, the given wisdom is that opening a front door is the only thing that over-rides auto relock. Well, maybe not! I've just gone out and tested:

1. Remote unlock and car untouched: about 30 secs later, interior lights dimmed out and door locks re-engaged automatically.

2. Remote unlock and boot door fully opened for about 10-20 secs: boot re-closed and after about 30 secs the interior lights dimmed out BUT no auto re-lock.

3. Remote unlock and rear passenger door opened to full extent for about 10 secs: re-closed and after about 30 secs the interior lights dimmed out BUT no auto re-lock.

More comprehensive tests required, i.e. period of time that boot or rear passenger opened, extent to which boot/rear doors are opened (fully or partially). That'll have to be "in due course", cos it's horrible out there at the mo'. However, Fluffy seems to be wired differently to some Dusters (judging by lock-out reports along the way). :unsure:

·
Premium Member
4,020 Posts
I have driven various makes of cars over the years from the vehicle 'pool' at work and have found that if you remotely unlock and do nothing the vehicle will relock, however, if you were to open any door it would not relock. The only exception seems to be if the 'fob' has a dedicated 'boot' button, then you could only open the boot which would relock upon closing. <_<

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
the duster "isn't so posh" as to have a separate boot button on the key fob !!!!

and you have to push the lock thingy in yourself to open it....doing the maths doesn't include a butler

although my sat nav is called Mr D'Arcy :wub:

i think only the posh expensive ones have more.....like range rovers and discoveries and the like ;)

·
Super Moderator
2,832 Posts
Wasn't this mostly the case in the days before central locking. You opened the boot by turning the key, if you left the key in the boot and closed it, they were locked in. Not many cars had a button.

I locked my keys in an 80s Fiesta while at friends, their teenage daughter said "I can get in" and used a wire coat hanger to put up the door locking button from below. Took 5 minutes, not sure if this would work on the Duster.

I also locked my car keys in the boot of my MX5 and an automotive lock expert spent 4 hours nipping bits out of the lock, even when he had removed the entire barrel it wouldn't open and he had to pick away until the lock fell apart.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Wasn't this mostly the case in the days before central locking. You opened the boot by turning the key, if you left the key in the boot and closed it, they were locked in. Not many cars had a button.

I locked my keys in an 80s Fiesta while at friends, their teenage daughter said "I can get in" and used a wire coat hanger to put up the door locking button from below. Took 5 minutes, not sure if this would work on the Duster.
I also locked my car keys in the boot of my MX5 and an automotive lock expert spent 4 hours nipping bits out of the lock, even when he had removed the entire barrel it wouldn't open and he had to pick away until the lock fell apart.
Errr, that was the last century, I would expect nowadays a car where that wouldn't happens. Technology and common sense are supposed to have advanced, perhaps no, so we might be still driving old cars, hmmm that would mean that Dacia would never be in UK. Nope I rather manufacturers coming With solutions for simple common problems like that.
Plus this forum is a sane place to express any opinion freely, some users might like some of the features, might not like some others, so Dacia can also learn from them. So don't taint people as complaining when they just want to give their honest impressions.

·
Super Moderator
2,832 Posts
Erm, where did I say you were complaining, I was just reminiscing about the old days.

I look forward to advanced cars of the future, where you can't lock your keys in the car, buy your partner flowers from a garage, drive in odd socks or make other mistakes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts