UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Have hadmy sandero since May my daughter's has had hers since March 2013 both new
This weekend the radiator leaked. She has been told it will cost over £400 to fix. Has anyone else had a radiator problem please?

·
Registered
517 Posts
So its either a warranty claim for a faulty radiator - remember if the car is under 6 months old then the law says it has been faulty from new

OR

Its been damaged by a stone in which case you make a claim on car insurance - but work out what it will cost in excess, lost no claims and extra premiums until the no claims is restored. It may be cheaper to pay for the repair.

You need to do two things.

1. Ask the dealer to make a warranty claim and if he wont to tell you why.

2. Find the name and address of your local trading standards office or the claim line for your insurance and see what impact the claim will have.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Radiators on all modern cars are vulnerable to a stone chip thrown up by car in front hitting them, and damaging them enough to cause a leak.

It is possible to put thin, strong, wire mesh directly in front of the radiator to reduce the risks, but few car makers bother for cost reasons. It can be done aftermarket by any decent mechanic.

Radiators do tolerate quite a lot of stones normally without being damaged enough to leak, if you look at most 3 years plus old cars they will have little dings in the radiator.

The price you have been given is presumably for a new radiator. There is quite a healthy market in people repairing radiators, it may be worth you while finding a garage with the inclination to give this a go, only really worth it for small damage. Can be very cost effective.

I would have the car checked independently too to make sure it is stone damage, if its leaking for a seal or similar its more likely to be a manufacturing fault. If it is then it should be fixed free by Dacia.

You could claim for stone chip damage on your insurance, but its unlikely to be financially a good move as they will generally just load it into your future premiums even if you have protected bonus.

·
Registered
517 Posts
A NEW Dacia radiator is about £190 + vat - in that ball park anyway, there seem to quite a few used at around £70 on the ebay, and with the current reputation of Dacia dealers I am sure they would fit a new one . . . . . .

·
Registered
135 Posts
Main dealers will fit a new radiator for a number of reasons, for one it takes a lot less time and they can turn the car around more quickly, for two they are probably obliged to do so by the maker to ensure high standards to reduce warranty risks, and so on.

But most small damage can be repaired, and reliably so if you find the right small garage. Whether its cost effective versus just buying a new radiator depends on the amount of damage and repair work needed.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Go to a local garage

Ask them to look at your rad

If they say its not damaged return to your dealer for a warranty repair

If it is damaged get them to repair or replace' it will be a lot cheaper

Never go to Kwit fit' Halfords or any national chain as they also will rip you off

Remember even though your new car has a warranty the list of exclusions is as long as your arm' my partners year old corsa has a air con that will not blow cold and apparently this is a wear and tear item and not covered.

Remember whatever you do don't pay the main dealer to repair it as you will pay well over the odds.

·
Registered
29 Posts
well, dropped my Duster off at garage due to cooling problem - and they contacted me to tell me a stone had damaged the radiator and i needed a new one - of course it was wear and tear and not under warranty - total bill £500 - i have the damaged radiator but have not had a chance to inspect it - if the car was not still (just) under warranty i would have shopped around for a new one - and if they are prone to stone damage may get the original repaired as spare

anyone else stone chipped radiator?

·
Premium Member
4,020 Posts
well, dropped my Duster off at garage due to cooling problem - and they contacted me to tell me a stone had damaged the radiator and i needed a new one - of course it was wear and tear and not under warranty - total bill £500 - i have the damaged radiator but have not had a chance to inspect it - if the car was not still (just) under warranty i would have shopped around for a new one - and if they are prone to stone damage may get the original repaired as spare

anyone else stone chipped radiator?
Serck Marston do car radiator repairs to a good standard, if you have one in your area ! ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts