UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of ordering a Sandero, I won't be doing much mileage it's just get from A to B. I just wondered for those who went for the Access was it the right choice? Or do you wish you'd gone for the ambiance or bought extras?

·
Formally "2Dusterschris"
363 Posts
We went for the Sandero Ambiance 1.2 in white, selecting the spare wheel as the only extra (a bargain at only £50 last year).

We are glad as the slightly better specification, including radio/CD and electric front windows, was worth the extra cost.

The car has proved an excellent urban runabout, with a few longer journeys. No faults after 14,000 miles and reasonable fuel economy in the low 40s.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I was in the same dilemia. But for a couple of hundred pounds I went for the Ambiance.
It was worth having the central locking, front electric windows, I find the Bluetooth on the radio particular useful.

I don't think the grey bumpers on the Access does any justice. Because the Renault vans have that, it gives the Access a van like appearance.

So I would recommend go for the Ambiance.

My only regret I should have gone for the Logan instead.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I went for the 1.2 Ambiance, and as strange as it sounds, I wish I had gone for the Access. To me there is something very appealling about an honest basic unpretentious car. Yes I would have had to have fitted a radio / cd player myself, and I would miss the remote central locking, but these to me are very minor issues. If you plan to keep the car for a number of years, a scraped plain black plastic bumper looks better than a scraped painted bumper.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I went for the 1.2 Ambiance, and as strange as it sounds, I wish I had gone for the Access. To me there is something very appealling about an honest basic unpretentious car. Yes I would have had to have fitted a radio / cd player myself, and I would miss the remote central locking, but these to me are very minor issues. If you plan to keep the car for a number of years, a scraped plain black plastic bumper looks better than a scraped painted bumper.
I agree I like the idea of a basic car. Cars are generally over priced so it's an experiment for me to buy the Access. I think I'll handle it assuming it works ok. The stereo is a must have, so planning getting it fitted or me giving it a stab.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I would consider the access, there's something about black bumpers that appeals to me...To be fair considering my Logan only really carries me to and from work and is not being used for the purpose we bought it I do sometimes wish I'd just gone for the access sandero, I'm sure I could turn the key in the lock with one hand at my age, (my God what did our parents do? ;)) and I often drive without radio anyway so I could go for it.
My dad would have loved it, he always went for bog standard cars.
Shame they don't do the dci in access, it'd probably sell well to fleets and driving schools.

Posted Via The DaciaForum.co.uk App

·
Registered
348 Posts
When I was learning to drive, my dad had a Vauxhall Cavalier 1.6 L mark 2. No central locking, no sunroof, no electric windows, no electric mirrors, not even power steering. Nothing. The only slight nod to luxury being an AM / FM radio with cassette player, a light in the boot, and a light in the glovebox. Yet this was one of the most pleasant cars I have ever driven. The complexity and extra weight we burden modern cars with only costs you money, both in paying for it in the first place, and extra maintenance, repairs and general running costs.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Unless the car has lots of different drivers I can't see the point in electric mirrors at all.
My wife doesn't even look in them, she drove for just short of a week with her passenger side folded in until I mentioned it, she didn't even notice, and then it still stayed that way until I drove it at the next weekend.

Posted Via The DaciaForum.co.uk App

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
Access is generally a good car. If your trip is 10 miles or less a day, and it's pretty much only you that drives it, there's no point paying an extras £600 for central locking etc, but if you always have passengers, central locking is worth it. The access has a bit of a strange locking system, whereby you have to lock all doors before you leave the vehicle.

Whatever decision you make is surely the right one for you, and adding a £30 radio and some £20 speakers will make it the same (bar the electric windows and locking) as the Ambiance.

Good luck

·
Registered
78 Posts
I am very pleased with my Access model, and I like its lack of pretension. I did pay £300 for the dealer to supply and fit a Kenwood radio/cd player and 2 front speakers. For the first few weeks, I missed having remote central locking, but I am now accustomed to the manual locking. I also paid £95 for the spare wheel and tools.

I don't go on long trips in it, but it drives nicely enough, and feels reasonably safe and well planted on the road, with acceptable ride comfort. For my taste, the contrast between white bodywork and unpainted bumpers works very well.

In the fullness of time, we will consider a Laureate version to replace the Hyundai i20 which has now become my wife's car. I wanted my introduction to Dacia to be the Sandero Access simply in order to sample how good or otherwise the car is. To my mind, it punches above its weight and represents real value for money - it has fulfilled all of my expectations.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I am having more corrective surgery on my left foot soon, hopefully enabling me to stick with a manual car. I really want to stick with Dacia. I am seriously considering getting a Sandero Access next time. For what I need a car for, an Access is perfectly adequate. I would rather spend the money I save over the Ambiance on a 7 year warranty. IF there was a TCe Access, I would put my deposit down tomorrow. Yes that would cost more to purchase the car in the first place, but the savings in fuel costs and road tax, plus the extra performance is well worth it in my opinion.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I am having more corrective surgery on my left foot soon, hopefully enabling me to stick with a manual car. I really want to stick with Dacia. I am seriously considering getting a Sandero Access next time. For what I need a car for, an Access is perfectly adequate. I would rather spend the money I save over the Ambiance on a 7 year warranty. IF there was a TCe Access, I would put my deposit down tomorrow. Yes that would cost more to purchase the car in the first place, but the savings in fuel costs and road tax, plus the extra performance is well worth it in my opinion.
I don't think that you will be disappointed with the Sandero Access, and I reckon that the 1.2 16v. engine is pretty well bullet-proof if you change the cambelt at the appropriate moment, so you may not need the 7 year warranty, other than for peace of mind.

It is a good car, rest assured, and I am pleasantly surprised at just how much i have taken to it. Best wishes for the surgery which you mentioned, and for a full recovery.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Thank you for your kind words. I currently have the 1.2 16 valve engine, and I know how good it is. A work mate has a 2003 Renault Clio he bought new with the same engine. After 11 years and 150,000+ miles it is still sweet and preforms as well as ever he says. He really looks after his car though. If you did not know the car's true age, you would say it was maybe 3 or so years old.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi, I went for the 1.2 Ambience over the Access.
I am happy with my choice, but I have read on this forum that all seem satisfied with performance. I tend to think the 1.2 engine is a bit sluggish, and the acceleration is not very good. Perhaps it my particular car, but the slowness especially from 3rd gear to 4th is a bit annoying.Once in 5th is bowls along well enough, but I stepped down from a 1.4 turbo diesel, and this car takes some getting used to.
What it does excel in though is the build quality and the handling. On bends and corners it is very positive and no "roll" at all.
Yes, you get what you pay for. No Dacia with this size engine is going to like regular motorway work, which luckily, I don`t have to do.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have a 1.5dci and it runs well over 50mpg and quick enough with the turbo have it over 2 years and still going strong

·
Registered
31 Posts
imo, only big difference between Access and Ambiance is Air Conditioning.

if access had AC, i would take it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Why do you need AC, not really required in the UK
i'm from Croatia, sun here in the summer gets really hot :)

if sun wasn't that strong here, i would go for access.

i'm a simple guy and i can live just fine without all that mumbo jumbo like remote central locking, electric windows and stuff...

only thing i would upgrade in access is stereo,but you can cheaply do that.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts