UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having been a salesman and from my experience and reading about other's, it seems to me that this is happening.

For many years Renault Dealers have made a nice living from selling Renault Cars. The punters come in and can be offered expensive cars with lots of gadgets. There are loads of options and additions that can be up-sold, leading to lots of lovely commission for the salesmen, on the cars and the finance. The larger margin on the cars have room for negotiation and that can be used to up-sell those commission earning extras.

Then Renault come along and say, we've got this new Marque - Dacia - the cars are going to be dirt cheap, they'll sell themselves. Great say the dealers, we're on board.

But then they are finding that selling a Dacia doesn't count towards their sales figures. There is hardly any profit on the petrol/base versions and no commission. Why would I want to spend time with Dacia buyers when I could be selling a Renault and earning some commission? What's more, these Dacia buyers coming in know exactly what they want, they won't be up-sold, they're frugal with their money and not willing to take out lots of finance.

"Every Dacia sold is a Renault unsold."

Even worse, customers are having to wait a long time for their cars, and are getting irate, its not our fault. We have to spend time placating them. If there is a problem, which is happening too often, we can't get the parts and the customers are demanding the faults get fixed which costs us time and paperwork and ties up the service department.

We'd rather not be selling these cars, the service department can't be bothered doing the pre-sale quality checks, we're just going to be half-arsed about it till they go away.

I know that when I was selling computers, if management had brought in a cheap commission-free PC that didn't count to my sales figures, I wouldn't want to sell it, no matter how good it was.

·
Sandero Forum Moderator
861 Posts
Still...from the other side of the fence Im loving my cheap motor and I could get two for the price of one Renault Clio so quids in!

Must be frustrating as a salesman and why they don't give you any commission at all is quite wrong as I am sure there will be lots more Dacia's sold.

·
amazing, just amazing!
2,926 Posts
I think that's partly why the prices have increased and will increase again next year, to give the dealers something to work with. The day I collected my Duster there were nine sets of sales paperwork on the salesmans desk, 7 Dacias and 2 Renaults so you're not wrong in your thinking that the Dacias are taking over at least for now.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I can see your point but if they earn £50 quid out of me then that is still £50 more than they would have earnt out of me if Dacia didn't sell in the U.K because I certainly wouldn't be spending 10k on a new Renault and I would have gone to car supermarket to buy my next second hand car..... everybody who comes into the shop I manage, gets the same customer service if they are spending £1 or a £100

·
Registered
756 Posts
I'm afraid Simon that's an idealistic simple view, predominantly commission based sales people have to maximise every potential opportunity and if Dacia's attract no or little payout then the time spent dealing with it may result in a massive loss on another customer.

Not saying it right but that is the nature of the beast, having spent over 20 years in comms based jobs I know I would position myself as far away from the showroom Dacia's as possible unless the finance carried a good payout!!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Most Car manufactures give the dealers a Big £££ Bung dependent on how many cars they have taken & shoved through the system . Manufactures are not bothered what happens to the cars once they have left the factory. They could end up as demo models, salesmans cars , pre..reg stock , showroom stock , back yard storage or bunged in a big hole & buried . If a fleet dealer supplies 100 Peugeot Turnip SE's to The Dead Loss Enterprise group as reps cars , the dealer may be lucky to see £9.00 profit per car , but every 6 months the dealer will get another performance bung reflecting how many new cars have been dumped on the great unwashed populace . Pro rata the commission should come on down the line , until the salesman should eventually get his crumbs from the deals....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Am glad I have not been dealing with this particular salesman. According to my Renault/Dacia Dealer they receive around £250 for each sold Duster and have given me excellent service so far. There is not much work to do. Customers know what they want and can order online. No wasted time for the dealer. If I had not chosen the Duster it would have been the Nissan or Kia equivalent and certainly not a Renault so it is an extra car sold and not a Duster instead of a Renault.

On the subject of commission for extra's. Never has any salesman of any marque tried to sell me anything I did not need or want.

·
Registered
117 Posts
This is what my response would be in theory.

"Why would I want to spend time with Dacia buyers when I could be selling a Renault and earning some commission?"

1. - Your job therefore is to convince people to want to buy a Renault from a Dacia then? If you can't be bothered doing this then see 2. or get another job.

"These Dacia buyers coming in know exactly what they want, they won't be up-sold, they're frugal with their money and not willing to take out lots of finance"

2. - Not sure what the problem is? I don't want to waste your time, and you don't have to waste mine by trying to sell me gap insurance I can find cheaper online, finance products that can be found cheaper online and paint protection which I don't need and probably can do myself with products I can buy for a fraction of that price...online. All you have to do is present me a brand new car in good condition. I come in, you go off whilst I inspect the car, check condition when I am independently happy I wait at a queue for 'payment of new car' and when you are finished trying to rip off a poor Renault with other customers I will then pay my car by debit card and drive off.

""Every Dacia sold is a Renault unsold.""

3. - I don't agree, and nor do you really (see what point 2 was referring to). NEVER have I considered a Renault before and certainly not now under the current guise, and I'm sure I'm not unique in that respect.

"Even worse, customers are having to wait a long time for their cars, and are getting irate, its not our fault. We have to spend time placating them. If there is a problem, which is happening too often, we can't get the parts and the customers are demanding the faults get fixed which costs us time and paperwork and ties up the service department."

4. - Fair comment. I show sympathy here I know what it's like dealing in customer services since I used to work with them.

"We'd rather not be selling these cars, the service department can't be bothered doing the pre-sale quality checks, we're just going to be half-arsed about it till they go away"

5. - shocking. Note to self - use independent garage rather than dealers.

"I know that when I was selling computers, if management had brought in a cheap commission-free PC that didn't count to my sales figures, I wouldn't want to sell it, no matter how good it was"

6. - With attitudes like this, just confirming my suspicions and prejudices there is no wonder why I research thoroughly beforehand and conduct business online.

Seems to me these salesman don't actually want to work hard for their money. They 'expect' a quick buck for not much work.

·
Registered
382 Posts
and the best form of adverti

I'm afraid Simon that's an idealistic simple view, predominantly commission based sales people have to maximise every potential opportunity and if Dacia's attract no or little payout then the time spent dealing with it may result in a massive loss on another customer.

Not saying it right but that is the nature of the beast, having spent over 20 years in comms based jobs I know I would position myself as far away from the showroom Dacia's as possible unless the finance carried a good payout!!
Whilst I was in there buying my Dacia I wasn't aware of anyone in wanting to spend any money on a Renault so surely any commission is better than no commission and the best form of advertising is customer recommendation so people I tell of my treatment - good or bad may want to buy a new car and my view may affect where they spend their money

On that note I returned to car supermarket once after just 4 months to trade in a car they had sold me (ironically A kangoo with the same 1.2 engine my Sandero will have) that had spent half the time of my short ownership in and out of their garage with an electrical fault. He offered me half what I had paid for it I reminded the sales manager of the old sales saying "A happy customer tells no one but an unhappy customer tells a dozen people" he went away and came back with another £800 quid on it meaning I'd lost only £500 after 4 months use.

As a retail manager I Don't believe the customer is always right (mine are mostly wrong in fact as they cant remember what their registration is or even correct year or model of car half the time and don't know what part they want) but they are always treated with respect whilst they are being wrong!

Reactions: antavi
1 - 10 of 10 Posts