UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On another thread BlackTiger stated that Indian Vin numbers are MA-ME and Romanian are UU- UZ and Wikipedia agrees. Now are the Vin codes from the country the car is made in or the country that the brand name comes from.

My Dusters VIN is UV which was registered in Sept 13 (63 plate).

If you use UV that makes it Romanian and not Indian................??????

·
Registered
186 Posts
My Ruster is UV on a 64 plate if that helps. I don't really care where it is from, I would rather know where the rust came from!

·
Registered
173 Posts
I think what's happened is that no matter where the Duster is made they are utilising the home countries VIN (Romania), judging by the comments about phase 1. Apparently Opel did this in Europe but not thought possible on different continents, clearly I was wrong.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's the conclusion I came to, Renault thought that instead of an Indian VIN they would give them a Romanian one to make it look like the car was made there. A good honest company, I don't think.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
That's the conclusion I came to, Renault thought that instead of an Indian VIN they would give them a Romanian one to make it look like the car was made there. A good honest company, I don't think
On the face of it, I agree - except that really, I don't think there was ever any secret made of the fact they were produced in India. Even before the rust issue surfaced, it seems to have been pretty common knowledge, and was / is frequently referred to in press reports. Could there be some other, less 'unscrupulous' reason for doing this?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts