UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Archived Member
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What plans have you got for updates to your duster.

Just looking through the EU websites at winch's and also some upgraded tyres.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Nice..........but I don't think I have shoes to go with that.

·
Registered
167 Posts
my plan is pretty simple, the nice LED taillights from lzparts (if you wife allows it, she doesnt like them) and chrome handles and some nice extra lights preferably xenon then im happy as I can be:)

·
Registered
217 Posts
When the Duster arrives it can expect a good couple of hours of polishing. I've always used Turtle-wax or Mer. Any thoughts on more recent polishes available that are easy to apply and buff off, which give decent lasting protection?

·
Archived Member
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When the Duster arrives it can expect a good couple of hours of polishing. I've always used Turtle-wax or Mer. Any thoughts on more recent polishes available that are easy to apply and buff off, which give decent lasting protection?
I've been a detailer for 20 yrs and find the G3 products very easy to use, they are available from halfords.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Hmmmm I see through rear window the spare wheel is on the outside... Wonder how practical this is, if door ill take the weight, the rear door struts would need to be updated... And how easy it would be to open the rear door with extra weight on it.. And... If it is possible is a wheel cover made ala shogun?

Let me go search google :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am looking to fit wheels and tyres like the ones above does anyone have a link for them or the size ? also looking to fit bull bars but not sure of the legality in the UK ?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Have to say its nice seeing a couple of people wanting to clean and protect their Duster first of all.

I've been a hobby detailer for about 7 years so first thing on the list will be a wash, polish and a couple of coats of a tough wax. Most likely Collinite 476 or 845. Then get all those black plastics treated, could take a while haha

Then replace interior bulbs with LED bulbs.

In the future I would love a set of those tail lights and set of more off-road style wheels and tyres.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I hate polishing but may do it soon again myself ... But got the guys down in a local car wash to do me a first off wax :D

·
Registered
217 Posts
Picked up the Duster today.....will give it a run out tomorrow to Norfolk (boaty stuff to do) then next week all indiator bulbs being changed for silver coated ones, all inteirior bulbs changed to led's,sidelight bulbs and number plate bulbs changed to led's and then on wednesday Duster booked in for limo tints for the rear.

Busy couple of days i think....

·
Archived Member
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I hate polishing but may do it soon again myself ... But got the guys down in a local car wash to do me a first off wax :D
I cringe every time I see the hand car washers doing there business . You never wash a car with sponges, you don't dry them off with a rubber blade and you don't use a shamy leather to dry either.

All you will end up with is a badly scratched paintwork.

Do it right from the start and it will pay dividends later on.

Checkout some of the detailing sites for how to do's and spend some time and a bit of effort to do it right.

Every £5 you spend at a hand wash will cost you £5 later to get rid of all the swirl marks they leave in your paint.

Anyone in the Wakefield area with a duster and wants some help in doing their car just give me a call on here, I'm retired now so have the time and have been detailing for over 20yrs, cost ? Cover materials and its free for advice !! I also have paint thickness gauges to check your paint before you even think about using any abrasive polish's !!

·
Registered
31 Posts
So for the average owner, without the time or inclination for detailed 'detailing', what is the best way to keep the car clean and as protected as possible without paying for someone else to do it?

·
Archived Member
372 Posts
So for the average owner, without the time or inclination for detailed 'detailing', what is the best way to keep the car clean and as protected as possible without paying for someone else to do it?
Here's my car wash / protection routine.

Snow foam the car. Leave 5 mins.

Rinse, with power wash.

2 bucket wash by hand with either lambs wool or micro fibre mitt.

Power rinse.

Dry with micro fibre towels.

Use a pre wax clean, gets rid of old wax.

Clay the whole car, gets rid of any atmospheric contaminates.

Rinse, power rinse.

Remove any tar spots that claying misses.

Check the paint work, touch up paint chips, allow paint to dry.

Check paint thickness before machine polishing.

If any scratches then I use a rotary or orbital machine with Meguires ultimate compound, but with new car you should be ok for a few years if washed correctly.

I then use a paint sealant, a good make is the gtechnic range.

Finally a good quality carnauba wax, collinite for example.

Glass next with a clean and seal with a rain disperser , like rainx.

Next Meguires plastic and rubber trim protector.

Lights with rainx.

Wheels if alloy I use bilberry wash and then apply a good wheel wax, a few times a year I remove wheels to clean the insides and wax them.

Inside vac and dust.

Dash and interior plastic trim with Meguires ultimate protectant.

Finally after 5 or 6 hours a well deserved glass of larger.

Many different products are available, the G3 range from halfords is excellent, it's a 4 step process and the results are stunning.

Find the products you are comfortable with, you don't have to spend a fortune.

Most detailing sites will describe how to do it, from 2 bucket wash method and what things to buy.

Don't use sponges.

Don't use rubber blades.

Don't use shamy leathers.

Use micro fibre wash mitts.

Use micro fibre towels for drying.

Use the propriety pads for applying polish's and sealants.

Time spent now on your new paintwork will help it in its later years.

Remember that tiny specs of grit is your biggest enemy, get a small spec caught in your sponge and it will leave its mark all over your paint, use a microfibre cloth to keep the grit away from your paint, the fibres are designed to do this.

Enjoy cleaning your car, don't look at it as just a chore.

And one last thing I forgot, don't let bird crap sit on your paint for any length of time, it will eat its way through any wax and start eating your paint, I carry a bottle of quick detailer and a microfibre cloth in the boot to remove any bird poo as soon as I see it.

Over the top in may be, but you should see the paint on my Z4 roadster, it's in better than showroom condition after 6 years of ownership.

So for a basic detail, I would power wash then 2 bucket hand wash, then dry, then a G 3 system prep and finally a G3 wax. Done in about a couple of hours.

·
Registered
167 Posts
my BMW thats for sale is that typical sponge/automatic car-wash kind of car. im voting for automatic-car wash can see a nice pattern going in straight lines. 5 years and the car looks kinda matte.

there is no shortcut in keeping your car in nice shape longer. depending on for how long you plan to keep the care the importance of doing it is different.

if you plan on selling the car in 3 years there is no need. if you gonna keep it for much longer like 10+ its very important. also a good extra rust-protection of the chassis is very good if you plan keeping it for long.

im planing on doing that extra rust-protection myself at my uncles farm in the summer.. its so fun driving your car trough puddles, gravel etc knowing there is extra protection hindering it to reach the metal and lowering the lifespan of the car and the value in the long run.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Thanks for the tips Unicoder, don't think I'll spend that much time on mine but will do some of what you suggested.

Got the Rainx and Carnauba yesterday. Must get some decent cloths now and a mit which sounds the bizz.

By the way what do you mean by propriety pads...???

·
Archived Member
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the tips Unicoder, don't think I'll spend that much time on mine but will do some of what you suggested.

Got the Rainx and Carnauba yesterday. Must get some decent cloths now and a mit which sounds the bizz.

By the way what do you mean by propriety pads...???
Some types of polish , ie the G3 range in halfords use a dimpled applicator pad for scratch removal and applying wax, they work better than just using an old "duster" forgive the pun ! They cost a few pounds but are well worth it.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I cringe every time I see the hand car washers doing there business . You never wash a car with sponges, you don't dry them off with a rubber blade and you don't use a shamy leather to dry either.

All you will end up with is a badly scratched paintwork.

Do it right from the start and it will pay dividends later on.

Checkout some of the detailing sites for how to do's and spend some time and a bit of effort to do it right.

Every £5 you spend at a hand wash will cost you £5 later to get rid of all the swirl marks they leave in your paint.

Anyone in the Wakefield area with a duster and wants some help in doing their car just give me a call on here, I'm retired now so have the time and have been detailing for over 20yrs, cost ? Cover materials and its free for advice !! I also have paint thickness gauges to check your paint before you even think about using any abrasive polish's !!
Unicoder are you aware of any particular web sites that are better than others at demonstrating how to do the detailing tasks you mention?

Thanks

Tony

·
Registered
53 Posts
5 or 6 hours cleaning my car ! That will never happen to me ! May take onboard some of those tips listed by Unicoder , and adopt some of them , but you can kill me now if you ever see me taking 6 hours to wash my car . Please don,t let that ever happen !

·
Archived Member
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
5 or 6 hours cleaning my car ! That will never happen to me ! May take onboard some of those tips listed by Unicoder , and adopt some of them , but you can kill me now if you ever see me taking 6 hours to wash my car . Please don,t let that ever happen !
It's hard work, but definately worth it, we'll until it rains :)

·
Archived Member
372 Posts
Unicoder are you aware of any particular web sites that are better than others at demonstrating how to do the detailing tasks you mention?

Thanks

Tony
Hi tony, you could get some good info on here and also is where I buy from, good products and quick delivery.

They have some guides to using products and how to's

Http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk

Reactions: Bandit
1 - 20 of 64 Posts