UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mine was a 76 Hillman Imp cost £300 ( I was robbed ) tried to learn to drive in it, however its habits included a ropey 1st gear that you had to swap out off if you passed 3 MPH, an overheating radiator and a rear window that leaked in the rain and froze on the inside in the cold oh and as i found out later a hole in the floor sealed with cardboard and black paint. Seems funny now though I seem to remember being heartbroken at the time. .

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
Mine was a mini cooper S, old K reg..!

He had the round lights and the chrome grill.

The engine was sideways on in the bay.

When I got it....£250....it was this yucky brown colour....so I sanded it down and then used coach paint to make him pillar box red.

The stearing wheel looked like it came out of a London bus it was so huge, and obviously the seats weren't height adjustable so I used to look

"through" the wheel when I was driving !!!

That was until my Dad appeared with a bit of 2x4, put it under the seat (which just flapped back and forth no clips or anything) and said...problem solved!

Saw me through uni, and I was devastated when the bearings fell out of the steering column and he tried to kill me !

And yes...

he was the original George :wub: !!! After whom my cars are named...! I'm now up to George :wub: 8th !

·
amazing, just amazing!
2,926 Posts
I bought my first car aged twenty, it was a 1957 Morris Minor 1000 with semaphore indicators, cost me £10 and was 3 years older than me! Myself and a mate went camping in the Cairngorms with it, we wanted to go up to the ski tows but the poor car couldn't make it up the hill :lol:

·
Registered
182 Posts
my first car was a daf 33 something like a750 flat two cylinder boxer air cooled engine.it was the forrunner of modern day cvt and ran on what was effectively two elastic bands that expanded on rear drums to give infinite gears and could go as fast backwards as forwards![fast being a relative thihg]

we had endless trips to cornwall camping in it,but its demise was when the clutch gave up as it worked by 24 expanding plates.

·
Registered
123 Posts
1988 Renault 5 1.1 TL 3 door in white. E205 UWR.

Bought in November 1997 for £1100. The dealers screen price was £1250.

I don't remember the mileage, but it was well below average for a 9 year old (nearly 10 year old) car.

A year later I was well chuffed to get back £850 part exchange for my next car. 1990 Peugeot 309 1.6 GR 5 door in blue. H567 UHD.

Is my Sandero the 5's great great great grandfather?

As a youngster, my dad owned a car repair/sales business, and bought me a 1970/1 Fiat 500 L in blue. EHM 351J. But I was only 11 and 12 when I owned that car.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Old M reg Vauxhall VIVA 1300cc in green 4 door i was 17 (1988) at the time Grandad gave up driving and gave me the car

·
Registered
126 Posts
Mine was a 2.3L Ford Tempo Coupe - not sure if you got those in Europe - I lived in Canada at the time. I polished it so much I accidentally started seeing primer in one spot through the black.!.!.!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Mine was the Mk1 Skoda Fabia. It died at 40k miles when the engine decided to eat its self.

Was an ok car though, but I didn't miss it when it died.

The Dacia Stepway will be my first "New" car, always gone for the 3yr old 30k miles 1 owner sort of cars before.

·
amazing, just amazing!
2,926 Posts
MIne was a handme down 1971 Hillman Avenger!
My dad had one of these, it had the most vicious clutch of any car I've driven.

·
Sandero Forum Moderator
861 Posts
Mine was an old T reg (as in the reg before the last T reg) VW polo with a very small engine. It was hand sprayed in winnie the poo blue very badly and it ended up dying with a cracked engine block. It cost me £250 in 1991 :)

·
Registered
193 Posts
My first car was a 1993 Renault Clio Oasis and it was a beast! lol

Well I say beast, it was a 1.2 with about 60bhp, four gears, manual everything but I absolutely loved it. It was that nice mix of old school in terms of lack of power steering or ABS but modern enough to not look dated and of course as a 17 year old I had the obligatory 2000w stereo in it haha.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts