UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My question really is at what point would a dealer/insurance company consider a modification to have been made?

So from stupid to obvious

If I change the dust caps on My Duster to shiny chrome...is it a modification?

If I have an Access model and change the wing mirror tops to chrome...is it a modification?

If I similarly change trimming inside to chrome that once was black...is it a modification?

If I add a tow bar...is it a modification?

If I fit an after market engine bay seal...is it a modification?

If I change the standard audio kit for a Sat Nav enabled DAB...is it a modification?

If I have an Access model and fit a non standard radio...is it a modification?

If I add a bull bar...is it a modification?

If I chip the car..is it a modification (I am presuming this one I know is a modification)

Do you see what I mean? Where is the demarcation line between modding and just adding a bit of bling?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Anything that makes it more desirable to a thief or anything that increases its value is usually classed as a modification

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So you suggest ....."All of the above"

thanks tigersaw.

·
amazing, just amazing!
2,926 Posts
Weird! I've just been speaking to my insurance company and I asked about adding side bars to the car, "will it affect my insurance?" answer - no it won't.

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
So you suggest ....."All of the above"

thanks tigersaw.
I would tell the insurance Co about the lot. All is well in the world and the sun is shining until you make a claim and then they start wriggling and looking for ways out of paying up. My Mrs had a very minor car park bump a couple of cars ago, the insurance assessor checked the whole car with a fine tooth comb, even down to the tread depth of the tyres.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
My question really is at what point would a dealer/insurance company consider a modification to have been made?
Boots has put his finger on it. A modification is deemed to have been made when your policy is changed in such a way, and following a claim by you, which makes it possible for the insurance company to avoid paying you anything.......

·
Registered
324 Posts
Always tell them. Did you know that many insurers will tclassify ESC as a modification even though it's a factory option?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts