UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

The winter season and weather is upon us....and to those of us near big bridges....

it means the annual annoyance of speed restrictions

queues during our morning and evening commutes

and to those with, high sides, trailers, caravans, motorbikes, cyclists, pedestrians

closures and the "long way round".....

They annoy us all...and folk often ignore them and cross the bridges anyway...

However, on the 5th December just gone...the gusts on the Forth Road Bridge were at 86mph...

and the bridge normally closes to ALL vehicles at 80mph...so it was about to close to everything.

George and I struggled over at 07:58 so we were JUST infront of this van...

He demonstrates quite well....WHY the restrictions are there....

I think he should be nominated for an "honorary Darwin award" personally...shamefully he put not only his and his mates life at risk, but those of other road users, the workers on the Bridge....and the lives of the police and firemen who attended to rescue him...

What a prat ... ! Watch the you tube with horror !!!

DM xx

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
Yep, whilst funny has a good point there ...... been a few bridge scares in the past few weeks. At the end of the day, the hour or so saved may outweigh the value that they place on their lives. Personally I think that the, FRB, and others, should have ANPR and anyone who flouts the rules feels the full repercussion of the law .... together with speeding as well. I've been on there doing 50 and someone, perhaps rushing an injured person to hospital, has flown past?

·
Registered
895 Posts
And don't forget a Bridge however big is the perfect spot for ICE the cold wind going under the bridge give the Fridge effect causing the surface of the bridge to ice up !

·
amazing, just amazing!
2,926 Posts
The van driver and the f'kin dimwit rubber-neckers all deserve to have their licences taken away.

·
Registered
324 Posts
That was exactly what I was thinking, Troute.

I could not believe that on the other side people were actually stopping to look!

Unbelievable!

Sent from my HTC One X using DaciaForum.co.uk mobile app

·
Registered
895 Posts
On the subject of Bridges ! Here in Germany Hitler wanted a new Autobahn heading east they started to build it but stopped because they also started a war :angry: the bridges and stuff are still scattered along the route it was planned to go

autobahn-4.jpg

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Stuart

We all appreciate WW2 and the impact it had on europe, some of us more than others

this thread was intended to be light-hearted and about bad driving and road safety...

during the winter storms

not a biopic of Hitlers mistakes thru europe..

sorry

DM x

·
Registered
895 Posts
Hell it was light hearted but if you feel so bad then Get a Mod to remove it

It was for many a piece of interesting stuff I thought

·
Registered
89 Posts
Stuart
We all appreciate WW2 and the impact it had on europe, some of us more than others
this thread was intended to be light-hearted and about bad driving and road safety...
during the winter storms
not a biopic of Hitlers mistakes thru europe..
sorry
DM x
Horrific video of a guy who obviously thought better than anyone else!

Don't think Stuarts comments were that bad DM? Just a comment like everyone else's surely? Seemed fairly harmless to me! Didn't think we were still so sensitive about WW2 lol

·
Events Committee Member
1,022 Posts
It was interesting stuff Stuart even worthy of its own thread on Social Space, perhaps not best placed on a thread about bad driving and road safety in winter

·
Registered
895 Posts

·
Events Committee Member
1,022 Posts
Excellent point about ice formation on bridges :)

·
Sandero Forum Moderator
861 Posts
Come on folks there seems to be too much sensitivity all over the forum at the moment.

Threads are supposed to develop as a conversation would. There has been no malice in mentioning Hitler's plans for building a new road just a comparison on bridges that were built but never completed.

This forum to date has been fun and relaxed so let's not let it take a turn in the direction of so many other forums out there that are just full of sniping and arguments for arguments sake.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
2,832 Posts
Its not just on bridges where gales can be a problem. I had a nightmare journey back from Norfolk once on the motorcycle. Could not keep it on track due to gusts of winds, and was riding at about 20mph with a huge tailback behind me. Then it got worse and I stopped and put the bike on its side-stand, but still it was tipping over. I had to put it on the main stand and then shelter in a ditch until the wind died down a bit.

A bit further down the road a big articulated lorry had blown over and was lying on its side on a roundabout.

Quite often on the bike, when it was raining and windy, your visibility is reduced due to the rain, you've got sudden gusts of wind made worse when high sided vehicles pass, stopping distances are greatly increased, and you are trying to leave plenty of space in front, and then you get totally inconsiderate car drivers cutting in in-front of you, completely oblivious that they've taken away your visibility with the spray from their tyres. I no longer ride a bike, but I look out for them and give them plenty of room at all times.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts