UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
Datza....thats why I got George :wub: !!!!

Instead of dreading the winter and worrying I'm going to be trapped and cut-off again.....

This winter I can say......"bring it on Mother Nature......I want to have some fun!! " :D :D

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
Datza....thats why I got George :wub: !!!!

Instead of dreading the winter and worrying I'm going to be trapped and cut-off again.....

This winter I can say......"bring it on Mother Nature......I want to have some fun!! " :D :D
in ur case dm if u get him the right winter shoes

u will blast through the snow and ice like a tank with him and with ur 4x4 driving experience

i for one would be glad to be ur passenger for a winter ride

although i rather take the driving my self cause i love 4x4 rides :D :D

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi everybody....

A strange topic for this time of year I know...but bear with me !

I really need advice from my fellow "scots" and their experiences with winter (snow) tyres for our winter weather.

The winter starts early up here and I'm still having the "winter tyres for George" debate with myself....

If I do get winter tyres for him...it'll have to be as early as the beginning of November, cos we've had snow that early for the last 10 years or so in this part of Scotland...

Oh......and I'm talking winter tyres here with the different (deeper) tread......not the studded snow tyres you can also get !!!!

And then they'll need to stay on until at least MAY 2014 cos it still has the potential for loads of snow all through April...!

I've driven in many Australian "outback" dirt road situations with chunkier tyres, but not on main roads, and not really in a car used for everyday type stuff....like shopping and commuting !

SO....

the questions are...

1) with 4x4 capability providing better distribution of power to all 4 wheels....at what depth of snow would winter tyres make a real difference...? My old astra and C4 could both drive through 8 inches on normal tyres if I took it easy...!

2) what "real" effect do winter tyres have of fuel consumption? Obviously with increased traction you'll get a lower MPG...that makes sense....but does anyone actually have experience of this in a 4x4 up here in Scotland???

3) when the normal tyres are taken off.....do I take them home and store them....or does the shop???

Thanks guys....

DM xx

ps....Mods wasn't sure where to put this thread as not really off-roading on winter tyres on the bypass !! but please do move it if you think its better placed elsewhere..DMx

·
Registered
756 Posts
It may be easier to buy a set of steel wheels and winter tyres then just change them when required, unlike many tyre dealers in say Germany they will not store them in the UK.

I never bothered with winter tyres on my 4x4 but got good quality AT tyres but economy suffered by a few %

Saying that I'm thinking of getting some winter tyres for my Sandero this year as I do a lot of driving and will need new boots come October anyhow and I live rural

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LOL....Bograt....the duster ambiance 4x4 comes with steel wheels.... :) .!

And a whole new set.....thats too expensive for my budget...it'd cost loads.... :(

Unfortunately....I'll have to go for the cheaper option of just getting the tyres changed hence all my questions really...

Most of the tyre suppliers can do them....and you can get them online and delivered to a fitter....which I've also done in the past...

Winter tyres'll make a big difference on traction on your sandero I'd have thought...

I was just curious of the 4x4 experiences of folk....obviously only our continental guys have experienced winters in the dusters so far....

So was just curious as to the winter 4x4 experiences of folk.

·
amazing, just amazing!
2,926 Posts
I have no experience with wide tyres on snow but have been told that they perform less well than narrow ones. As in - I thought of buying winter tyres for the Panda but was told not to bother as they wouldn't give me the benefit I'd be paying for. So now that I/we have Duster wide tyres I'm interested again, for now I'll stick with what I've got and see just how well they do but any info from the more experienced would be good.

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
I'm thinking the tyres supplied on him may be "all season" cos the threads are deeper than were on my astra and C4.....

SO...with the addition of my 4x4 option....I'm probably going to leave it this winter...

But....am also wondering if chains may be an option for when I'm up in the tundra of the mountains in Feb/March.....and a few lessons on how to fit them....

Probably a cheaper option too...

But like you say Troute....despite my experience offroading in the Ozzie, US and Canadian outback...I'm really curious what those with greater knowledge and experience have to say ....

DM x

·
amazing, just amazing!
2,926 Posts
Snow socks might be an answer, less damaging to the tyre and the road, lighter and possibly easier to fit. The down side would be lifespan and I don't think you can drive any distance on them.

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've heard of them troute...but also heard they shred and disintegrate...and can't be used for distances on snow...just for getting you out of a hole so to speak.

If you need traction....I think chains on the front are the way to go

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
wow.....

Just went out and checked what tyres George :wub: has....

Continental Cross Contact LX..... (made in Romania...YAY !!!!)

so being inquisititve...... googled it like you do....and found this You Tube clip.....

And you know what......I'm really not going to worry about it now !!!! LOL :rolleyes:

:D :D :D :D

·
Super Moderator
2,832 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
If you look on the tyre wall they are rated M+S which is mud and snow, I had General Grabber ATs on my Suzuki Jimny which were excellent in winter, however they cost me a lot more in fuel :( . Im sure the standard Continental Cross Contact LX will be a good all round tyre. :)

1 - 20 of 117 Posts