UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Logan came without a spare wheel. I have ordered a set of 4 Continental WinterContact TS850's on steel wheels from MyTyres and will use one as a spare wheel (with an unused second-hand Clio tool set from ebay).

My old Golf GTI was hopeless and dangerous in the snow on summer tyres and was transformed by a set a winter tyres, I hope the Logan is the same.

£387.60 for wheels with fitted and balanced tyres (inc postage) seems reasonable, and some of the cheaper tyres on offer could have knocked it down to less than £300, but I find if I buy cheap tyres and they are no good them I'm miserable until they eventually wear out, the money saving forgotten in the first mile.

The Continentals come top on most winter tyre tests, eg the latest AutoExpress so they were the ones I went for.

I'll report on them when I've done a few miles.

·
miserable old git
848 Posts
I hope you ordered the narrowest tyre tread option.

Snow tyres should have a smaller contact patch that 'normal' tyres allowing the tyre to cut through the snow rather than sledge over it. In addition, the smaller the contact patch the more weight per sq/inch is transferred to the road surface hence better grip.

·
Registered
63 Posts
If you're using one of the TS850's as a spare won't you be one short?
Looking forward to hearing how you get on with them as I've been thinking about winter tyres for last couple of winters...most of our winter driving has been just commuting on "priority gritting" routes, into the city centre, so it's not been a priority.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No chance of really skinny tyres. The best tyre option for me was exactly the same profile. That way it can act as a spare. The main benefit from winter tyres is that they work well below 7C unlike the summer tyres fitted by Dacia. Ploughing through deep snow can be helped by narrow tyres but for the ordinary cold days they are rubbish, sliding about all over. My GTI had 245 width winter tyres and they were ace, so the little narrow 185's on the Logan should be more than skinny enough.

PS I've got 4 spares in winter or summer as you well know!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts