UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
...answers on a postcard please: I've had my Duster dCi 2wd since April, so I'm also interested to hear other's views on how they cope with our winters.

...for comparison, my old Suzuki SX4 2wd (think 'Stepway') never missed a beat - which was particularly gratifying during our rare snowy spells, when neighbours ended up leaving their Mercs and Beemers about half a mile away 'cos they couldn't make it all the way home!

Joe
p.s. MR2 on the left didn't move for a couple of weeks...while the SX4 on the right was out and back most days

Attachments

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
The only problem with a 2 wd car that looks like a 4wd car is the embarrassment if it gets stuck in the snow .
...true, but unlikely: our previous SX4 and current Aygo never let us down (MR2 now spends winters in the garage)- although I'll be sure to have some 'humble pie' in the freezer just in case!

Joe
p.s. NSS "Vehicle Driven: oh dear"...dare I ask?

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
The extra ground clearance of a Stepway or Duster should prove to be an advantage in snowy conditions.

Elsewhere on the forum there is a discussion, along with a demonstration video, that in fact a 2wd car fitted with winter tyres is likely to perform better than a 4wd car without.

EDIT: found the vid

·
Registered
230 Posts
I must agree - our MR2 turbo goes off the road for the winter. Not worth the risk in wet and snow. Also the reason I have still got it in one piece as I have owned it 18 years!

I think the continental tyres on the Duster are so good in wet/snow. My neighbour's Duke was a nightmare in the snow. Advised them to get winter tyres and see if it makes a difference.

·
Registered
230 Posts
We had no trouble at all in winter with 4x2 diesel Duster. Good Mud and snow tyres on as standard. We were thinking of going to 4x4 in 3 years if we changed cars but think we will stick with this one and run it into the ground.

·
Registered
66 Posts
never mind if it clears the windows, does it heat the cabin up. Hate cars you get into and are like a freezer and heater can only warm them up to being a fridge, like cabin to be roasty toasty when its cold. (and clear windows)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
if you live in the county side in a hilly area, Yes .have you seen youtube about winter tyres using a 4 wheel drive car first with summer tyres then a 2 wheel drive version of the same car with winter tyres trying to drive up a sky slope . the 4 wheel drive on summer tyres did not get up as far as the 2 wheel drive on winters tyres,

i

·
Registered
66 Posts
tyres on dusters are generally continental M+S tyres, MUD & SNOW an all season winter tyre.
Many european countries its law to have "winter tyres" on the car from oct to march and M+S
tyres are accepted as a "winter tyre"

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
if you live in the county side in a hilly area, Yes .have you seen youtube about winter tyres using a 4 wheel drive car first with summer tyres then a 2 wheel drive version of the same car with winter tyres trying to drive up a sky slope . the 4 wheel drive on summer tyres did not get up as far as the 2 wheel drive on winters tyres,

i
Ahem....

The extra ground clearance of a Stepway or Duster should prove to be an advantage in snowy conditions.

Elsewhere on the forum there is a discussion, along with a demonstration video, that in fact a 2wd car fitted with winter tyres is likely to perform better than a 4wd car without.

EDIT: found the vid

:D

·
Registered
370 Posts
never mind if it clears the windows, does it heat the cabin up. Hate cars you get into and are like a freezer and heater can only warm them up to being a fridge, like cabin to be roasty toasty when its cold. (and clear windows)
Always found the quickest way to clear foggy windows was to switch the air con on, clears the windows but you don't half need your gloves and thermals.

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
Always found the quickest way to clear foggy windows was to switch the air con on, clears the windows but you don't half need your gloves and thermals.
...agreed: so I'm looking forward to seeing how my non-aircon Ambience-spec Duster copes with winter cold starts...maybe full power fan + full heat all directed to the screen for a couple of minutes will do the trick, while I snuggle into my extra layers!

Joe

Reactions: g scoth

·
Registered
117 Posts
tyres on dusters are generally continental M+S tyres, MUD & SNOW an all season winter tyre.
Many european countries its law to have "winter tyres" on the car from oct to march and M+S
tyres are accepted as a "winter tyre"
I would beg to differ on that (mainly on their performance). Driven the four wheel drive duster with M+S tyres although ok ish for general situations they just don't perform same as snow tyres, the compound is different and so is the tread pattern. Last snow we had I was travelling slowly and applied the brakes a little too hard, the car slid for a good few yards and on a bend it just went straight regardless of trying to steer out of it resulting in no control,, and at a junction that could make all the difference. Being able to stop effectively (especially coming down hill) is as important as grip for forward movement.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thanks for the update catchem, I have no personal experience of the tyres unlike you, was considering winter tyres last year and info was from one of the articles I read at that time. Also read some articles re what to do if you start to slide in winter weather and it advised solutions for 2 wheel drive and 4 wheel drive vehicles, did not have 4wd last year so did not pay to much attention to that part but remember it was somewhat different from 2wd, will need to find and read that part this year. When duster arrives have looked into taking some off road instruction at one of the off road schools.

·
Registered
117 Posts
No problem heartwithaspark, personally when mine wear it will be winter tyres for me. I'm not one for tearing around on lanes so will be ok all year round as continental say you can, people will have different views on that but im ok with it.

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
In the boot of my Stepway are some snow socks - the idea being I have them and won't need them rather than need and not have them.

They slip over the drive wheels and give you grip on snow & ice and like snow chains should only be used on snow & ice.

But, if I had a garage (and therefore the room) I would have a set of steels with winter tyres on them and they would be swapped out over the winter.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts