UK Dacia Forum banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have a Sandero Stepway BI Fuel Comfort
It did inform me LPG low 30miles away it said low LPG on the info.

JUST RAN OUT OF lpg at 290 miles on Stepway thats good on 33 litres.
When I ran mine out, it took 44 litres to refill it not 33.
When I refilled at the "LPG low" warning it took just 32 or 33.
Checked the manual, the LPG tank capacity is "approx 40 litres" useable.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Interesting that the new model has an electronic handbrake. Scrapping my wife’s ancient Laguna meant she had to drive our Passat. That had an electronic handbrake, which she hated - it was either on or off, and the button was on the dashboard - so as it was 12 years old we decided to switch to a smaller car, the Stepway II with a normal handbrake. No more juggling at hill starts.
I’d be interested to read what owners of the new model think, and how it works in practice.
This car has hill hold on the foot brake.
You can do hill starts without the handbrake.

·
Premium Member
2020 Sandero Stepway, 1977 MGB Roadster
198 Posts
Yes, our Stepway II has that two-second hold feature, I was more interested in the usefulness or otherwise of the new electronic handbrake, and if it was similar to that on the Passat.
When we bought the Passat years ago, I thought at the time it was another one of those unnecessary gimmicks you can't manage without.

·
Registered
Oct 2013 Sandero Ambiance 1.2
1,864 Posts
I had a Passat SW company car. I found it no problem it auto applied and released when you moved off. Much the same as HSA. You just ignored the On/Off button on the dash.

HSA is an upto 2 second hold and releases as soon as you move off, just like electronic handbrakes but uses the ABS.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I really disliked the electric handbrake on a recent Qashqai rental car. Definitely another nanny state item I'm happy to do without, along with lane keeping and active cruise control.

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
@Daedalus: The handbrake on our Passat (2007) was governed solely by the button - it didn't work until you pressed it, and would not release until you pressed it again, so it was either on or off.

I remember the ads for an Audi, I think it was, where the car was parked on a slope, and the car stayed where it was but the driver's case rolled down the hill, which leaves me wondering why, if yours worked as you described, there was any need for a button?

We had our Passat until we bought the Dacia in 2020, and it definitely had no form of hill-hold.

Sorry, getting a bit off-topic.

·
Registered
Oct 2013 Sandero Ambiance 1.2
1,864 Posts
It was back ~2010. I can't remember all the ins and outs but it definitely auto released when you moved off. Maybe yours was faulty!

Does this mean the new cars have rear discs as I always though electronic handbrakes clamped the pads to the disc?

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
@Daedalus: You are correct, and although I didn't expressly disagree with you, I nevertheless owe you an apology.

Having sold the car a couple of years ago, and having a clear out, I was in the process of throwing my English driver's manual away (the original was in French, of course, which went with the car, and I got an English one from ebay). Re-reading it, it definitely states, as you say, that it is auto release. It can't have been a fault because the car was regularly serviced by VW and I'm sure they would have noticed it.

I don't ever recall it auto releasing, whether by accident or design, but if it did we sold the car unnecessarily! The only upside to this is that we've now got a Stepway, and we're both happy with it. Shan't say anything to my wife though. . . .

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
@Daedalus: just to draw a line under this, and to make my excuses!
In January 2020, a couple of weeks after we swapped the Passat for the Sandero, I underwent a scheduled major operation (not life-theatening), which put me out of things and meant my wife running-in the Dacia. Shortly after that it was Covid (France shut down about a week before the UK), so for me the Passat became a distant memory - until now. Last night it suddenly dawned on me that, of course, it was auto-release. The problem was having to put the clutch right to the floor, as opposed to just putting it down far enough to comfortably engage first, as on the Laguna. I recall saying to my wife to treat it like a foot-operated switch and imagine it clicking off, something she was never really happy wiith (she used to drive 20k miles a year when we lived in the UK, so is competent at the wheel). I have to say it caught me out occasionally after driving the Laguna. I wonder now whether I could have got VW to adjust the point of contact with the clutch pedal, but it's a bit late now.
Best wishes.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts